PDA

View Full Version : dominion power

scammy
12-27-2006, 07:45 PM
am considering working for them ,, any input?,,,,,thanks

mrnick
12-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Scammy,
I always hear good things about Dominion Va/Nc Power. If you want to work on a good system(from what I have seen), give them a try. I know that Dominion will be the first company that I apply to after I get my EE degree.

MrNick

Space
12-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi , I'm new here , but would like to put my two cents in .
I have worked Distribution for about 17 yrs here in Va. , all my work has been with contractors , but I can tell you of all the power companies we have worked for , I have to say I liked Dominion best . Adequate spacing on circuits and neutral , grounding systems much simpler than the REA companies .
And they always require contractors to have good equipment which I have wittnessed in person . We once were working with an outfit that had an old Bronco bucket that the bucket had to be tied off to the pole when working on the side of a hill , all our air compressors where worn out , digging tools , like snaps where actually rolled so bad you had to keep beating them out to dig with them . I was just about ready to drag up when the field supervisor for then Va. Power came and and told them , The job was cost plus and he wanted all new equipment in there or lose the contract . Soon we had two new Altecs , new PoleCat and man was life good there for 5 years .
We did a lot of good work there and left the folks there with good memoried of us , but it has been some time since I worked under thier system .
Happy New Year to all !
Space

scammy
12-29-2006, 11:29 PM
thanks this is what I was wondering ,,,be safe ,,happy new year ,.,scammy

west coast hand
12-30-2006, 07:49 PM
my buddy did his apprenticship there could not what to leave the cost of living is way to high and the work sucks

Linemanblood
01-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Dominion Power is an excellent company to work for if you wont to go home every day. Their safety record speaks for itself. They dont care how much work you get done as long as it 's done by Dominion laws & standards.
Dominion does more cover up than most utilties but, you get paid for this and you go home safe. No one gets rushed to do any job. (even when the lights are out)
Dominion does not have the most updated equipment.Their buckets and diggers are kept longer than the average utility.
Dominion has a great apprentaship program for the youngsters coming in. Benefits are better than average.
Dominion expects you to come to work and not abuse sick leave. They frown on this very heavy.
If you go to work for Dominion you will most likely start off in Northern Va, and later on in your carreer you may want to transfer out somewhere else depnding were you are from or you may stay there. Most outsiders start in N. Va because this is the region were they have the harder time getting lineman to come to work.
So if a young man coming into the trade were to ask me would I recommend Dominion Va Power, I would certainly say give Dominion a shot.

Good luck

scammy
01-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I was raised in hampton va ,,am now 1st class linemane in ohio ,,working safe is paramount,,thanks for the info ,,,scammy ,,be safe and have fun,

wireworker
01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
i work for dominion right now. i will tell you that the cost of living is too high. i have been with the company for about 7 years. i have been stuck in n va the whole time. you can't get transfered! i've been trying for about 4 years. dominion is so short handed, that when you get on the lineman list you end up getting forced to be a service man (shift work). i'm leaving the company this month.

scammy
01-01-2007, 11:40 PM
the cost of living is high where I live now ,,,and all power co.are short handed ..sort of a buyers market for job hunting I guess,,at least there I would have the beech.

scammy
01-02-2007, 12:02 AM
do you have the option of taking a job at dominion were you want?and if not turn it down.

mrnick
01-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I'd hate to live in northern virginia in general! Too many jerkoffs up there...

whats nice about the Dominion transmission system, is that all of the same cool towers are used throughout the state. well, my opinion don't matter, but I thought I'd add anyways.

good luck!

wireworker
01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
right now, you have to work in northern virginia. alexandria, springfield, herndon, fairfax, and if your lucky you might get woodbridge.
those offices have a high cost of living. woodbridge might be the lowest. i looked at a 1 bedroom apartment in woodbridge and it was going for about 1200.
you also have to worry about the traffic up here. i have to leave my house an hour and a half before i have to start my shift. (its a 26 mile trip one way)
without traffic it takes about 25 minutes. if i leave my house half hour before, i will be about 40 minutes late. so i need to leave my house around 530 before the bad traffic starts.