PDA

View Full Version : Fatcats vs Military

dbrown20
12-29-2006, 07:31 PM
A couple or maybe three years ago I looked up the figures on the following comparisons, but the message is still valid.

I noticed with interest some recent stories in national magazines about compensation for the CEO'S of large corporations.

Everyone agrees this class of priviledged are vastly overcompensated. Even when their companies do poorly, they still do well.

These huge corporations are very bureaucratic and major decisions are made with the advise of a large staff and a board of directors. Doesn't seem to terribly difficult to me.

Let's compare their compensation of several million per yr. plus golden parachutes, stock options etc. with that of a U.S.Navy C.O. of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.

The C.O. of a Nimitz class carrier is a U.S. Navy Capt. (4 striper) with around 20 plus years service and he or she would have a base pay of approx. $191,882 annually. Probably also flight pay and pro pay added in also. Anyway about $200 thousand annually I'd guess. This person is responsible for a vessel costing approx. $4.5 billion. Additionally the C.O. is responsible for the lives of about 5000 to 6000 personnel , including the air wing when underway.

I've not calculated the cost of the aircraft and other variables, but we all know it's considerable.

If this person manages to do approx. 30 years service and may even make admiral he or she might be able to retire with 75% of his base pay annually.
This assumes there are no screwups that may get he or she relieved of command during his or her career.If everything goes as planned this person may be retired with about $6000 to $7000 monthly plus some medical benefits. I only figured this for Capt.

From all this it appears that the executives need a huge decrease or the military needs a huge increase.

Military people put their lives on the line at times. Sometimes executives also run the risk and hazard of the occasional errant golf ball at their local country club (dues paid by the corp) and also the stress of looking over their golden parachute packages with their CPA may cause hyperventilation or heart palpitations. It's the excitement getting to them I guess.

Ain't life a bitch? dbrown20 Hi Bill.

OLE' SORE KNEES
12-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Just don't seem right does it ? Most CEO's don't have have a clue about the blue collar -Entry Level-Grunt,Power-Plant Worker, High-Voltage Lineman : the people that make it happen everyday. I doubt for a Yankee Minute when they flip that switch to the bathroom when they wake around 9:00 am to get stirring for the day for a screwing the workingman thay have a clue about power other than when they flip the switch it should be there.

dbrown20
12-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe in your book.

I don't regret my lot in life as a retired lineman. Each person makes what he wants of life.

I just believe that people who make millions a yr. indirectly off the sweat and toil of others are not to be revered as heroes.

I just think it could be a little nearer equal. I read once that the major differences between U.S. Corps. and the Japanese is the vast difference of compensation between their respective CEO'S.

A military officer can have one big boo boo and that is basically the end of his military career. Not so with execs. I have seen them go from one screw up to basically a promotion.

I also do not think being a Lineman is the end all be all of life. There are other trades out there that are just as good as a lineman. It just depends on your outlook in life. I have experienced plenty of linemen who have no business in the trade and I bet the same goes for the execs. We have all experienced bosses who would be better off managing a grocery store.

You must be unique in linework. I can never remember a lineman I worked with who was in the trade for the "love of linework". All the ones I worked with did it because it was a good living and they enjoyed working out of doors and they enjoyed the conditions. Not one ever said they would do it for lesser pay etc. simply because they loved linework.

Ah well. Anyway your old man did quite well. The retirement of a full bird is more than most slobs make at their reg. job.

Enjoy your retirement likewise and get out and glove some 7200 or 7620 off the pole so everyone can see what a "hand" you are. Also learn to spell or use spell check once in a while. dbrown20

Red Rooster
12-31-2006, 08:23 AM
Enjoy your retirement likewise and get out and glove some 7200 or 7620 off the pole so everyone can see what a "hand" you are. Also learn to spell or use spell check once in a while. dbrown20

Who in thier right mind would glove off a pole:confused: with that being the only protection:confused:

"Still scratchin for better rights"

RED ROOSTER

mscheuerer
12-31-2006, 05:11 PM

Who in thier right mind would glove off a pole:confused: with that being the only protection:confused:

"Still scratchin for better rights"

RED ROOSTER

Well thats easy...Someone Who Knows How To... Obviously you either don't or your company doesn't allow it due to past mishaps and/or bad experiences.

Gloving from the pole happens safely everyday I might add.

PS - I kept this one simple so I wouldn't have to spell check in case you were that obsessed with it....

dbrown20
12-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Well thats easy...Someone Who Knows How To... Obviously you either don't or your company doesn't allow it due to past mishaps and/or bad experiences.

Gloving from the pole happens safely everyday I might add.

PS - I kept this one simple so I wouldn't have to spell check in case you were that obsessed with it....

I dare say I have done my share of gloving off the pole, probably more than you. It's just that most companies and IBEW locals do not condone gloving anything more than 5KV phase to phase from the pole. Swampgas takes pride in pushing the envelope as many rats do. However there must be a line drawn somewhere. Once talked to an REC supt. who bragged of his men gloving 69 KV from a bucket while standing on rubber blankets. This was actually an IBEW outfit too. Obviously breaking a rule as blatant as this did not ocurr to them.

I once talked to a guy who reasoned that since his gloves were rated 20KV, that he could glove 19.8 34.5 KV from the pole since he would only be exposed to the 19.8 since he would only be gloving one phase at a time. Kinda dumb I think. I think working on higher voltages from the pole while only protected by rubber gloves is unsafe.

Don't get me wrong. I have broken plenty of safety rules but jacking around with primary from the pole is one rule I take pretty serious. A lot of safety rules are frivilous and deserve to be broken. Companies need to continously review their rules and throw out the ones that are stupid. There are some core rules though that should always be adhered to.

I don't see anything wrong with gloving 2400 delta or 4160 from the pole.

Good spelling is always a pleasing thing. dbrown20

dbrown20
01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Check out the golden parachute given to the Home Depot CEO, who was just forced out. About 200 plus million. You're not telling me that things like that don't drive up prices. He deserved ever penny, didn't he Swampgas? dbrown20