PDA

View Full Version : pistol grip bucket control

shaun
01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm having a problem with my left hand and wondered if anybody had any experience with this. (get ya mind out of the gutters) I prefer the lever/knob control on the bucket controls. I know they have a tendency to hang up or get caught in the wire but, it's what I prefer to use. I've been using the pistol grip and my hand is fookin killin me. I have a hard time even opening a jelly jar since. My right hand is fine, no problem, (before somebody says just use the right hand...I do) It's the top of my left hand that's buggered up. Like if you lay it flat on the table and look at it, the part you're looking at. It seems to be getting worse. I tried to search pistol grip controls to see if anyone has experienced this but no results found is what it said. Any idea's cuz I know it was mentioned at some time.

Orgnizdlbr
01-02-2007, 07:56 PM
A few years ago I started to have trouble with my right elbow because of the pistol grip on an Altec. I had to statr using both hands on the control for a while....finally ended up with a couple of cortisone shots. knock on wood I havent has a problem since.

old lineman
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm having a problem with my left hand and wondered if anybody had any experience with this. (get ya mind out of the gutters) I prefer the lever/knob control on the bucket controls. I know they have a tendency to hang up or get caught in the wire but, it's what I prefer to use. I've been using the pistol grip and my hand is fookin killin me. I have a hard time even opening a jelly jar since. My right hand is fine, no problem, (before somebody says just use the right hand...I do) It's the top of my left hand that's buggered up. Like if you lay it flat on the table and look at it, the part you're looking at. It seems to be getting worse. I tried to search pistol grip controls to see if anyone has experienced this but no results found is what it said. Any idea's cuz I know it was mentioned at some time.

That's the beginning of what they call, "carpal tunnel syndrome". It's caused by repetitive motion.
This a serious affliction. Similar to 'tennis elbow', which you can get by doing something like polishing the car.
It really has nothing to do with tennis. Wow is it ever painful!
This type of thing falls under the category of ERGONOMICS.
When an ERGONOMIST trys to talk to a lineman it's like trying to herd cats. Seldom will they listen, that is until they run across a guy like you that just needs help. You really don't care what they call it do you?
See your in-house ergonomist if you have one. If not see your doctor or have the company hire one in.
This WILL NOT get better on it's own and could be career threatening. The trouble is that it's with you 24/7 and can even hinder what you want to do at home. Like take out the garbage, just kidding.
All jokes aside get on it.
The Old Lineman

KingRat
01-02-2007, 09:01 PM

We don't build anymore trucks with that type of control, it is a problem like old lineman states especially when using rubber gloves. Power companies in the northeast are going back to the individual lever controls. Your not the only one having this problem.

Bigheadnc
01-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Shaun, I've had trouble before. It's just like old lineman said. Sarted with my hand going to sleep ended up with cordisone shots. right hand altec, left hand hy ranger. Depends mostly on which factory put the boom on which side its on. peace

Bull Dog
01-02-2007, 09:08 PM
We had this type of control on our truck and some seemed to have a problem others didnt. Few years back we change to power assisted controls Ive operated both kinds of pistol grip controls. The power assist is the answer. Im not shure how they work just know the handle moves real easy.

shaun
01-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks fellas. I'm gonna have it looked at. Appreciate the help.

NU Limey
01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Our company tried pistol grips several years ago, guys started getting carpal tunnel later on. An independent study was done and it was found that individual controls were better. Fiber optic or power assisted were best, but much more expensive. we have since gone back to single controls with dead mans which are now required. knowingly by passing the dead mans are an automatic suspension.

racinsprintz10
01-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I am a younger lineman and even at my age (25), by the end of a full day of rubber gloves i experience an amount of cramping and pain. Its a crappy deal but what kind of solution is there?

old lineman
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I am a younger lineman and even at my age (25), by the end of a full day of rubber gloves i experience an amount of cramping and pain. Its a crappy deal but what kind of solution is there?

My previous post on this subject was to try to inform what the problem was, now I've learned that numerous linemen are experiencing similar problems.
As I mentioned lots of larger utilities have in-house ergonomists and this issue can be solved by them advising management about the problem and the solution. That's their expertise.
Smaller firms can't do this without huge expense.
It's kind of one of those, "pay me now or pay me later" type of deals. If the employer is progressive they will be proactive and change the controls before the problem arises.
On the other hand if they do nothing then they risk having a workers compensation claim. Compensation payments are never enough to compnsate for the recipients misery and is always thought to be too expensive by the employer. That's a lose, lose situation.
That's basically how I see the existing trucks in the fleet.
Let's consider the new trucks coming in the future. The purchaser goes to great lengths to draw up a spec sheet for the bidders to bid on.
Why not zero in on the controls and specify that they MUST be individual levers for each action. Some manufacturers are having great success with fiber optics, they seem to have worked the bugs out and this may be the answer.
I know from experience that the purchaser is the boss until the unit is delivered, then they are, the shoe is on the other foot so to speak. So there should be a clause that they need not bid if the unit has pistol grip controls.
That will make them sit up and take notice. Push when you have the upper hand.
The Old Lineman

moose
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
;) I think pistol grips are the way to go!!! espesially on a truck with a compensating boom.
I recently was treated for tendonis. Not sure if it was due to pistol grip or not. If you are experiencing problems, it could be scar tissue from a previous injury. i was told to wear a brace on my forearm about 2 fingers below the elbow and perscribed some steroid pills. Seems to feel better. But, it can return at any time.

shaun
01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
This is a very interesting thread to me.

I've flown, Pistol grip, High Rangers, most of my life in Linework, and for me, it's the only way to go. I'm pushin 60...next year, and my hands are fine after 37 years in the trade. Granted...alot of those years were "Climbing years", something else that's "diein" in the trade.

I've used the "levers" buckets....what a pain in the ass.
"Look, move, look, move, look, move.....". AND,... if ya get that "comfortable" with the lever type controls that ya DON'T Look and move....you're an accident waitin to happen.

With the Pistol grip, I could go up, sideways, with both the upper boom and the lower boom, and Always be lookin up. With the pistol grip, my bucket became an extension of Me, with eyes lookin UP.

"Back in the Day"...I use to fly my bucket with leather Kuntz Gloves. When I got to the Primary position, I'd put my rubbers on.
Not so nowdays.

Nowdays, in most Utilities, it's "Ground to Ground Rubbers". Part of the "Bullet proofing of Linemen", I like to call it. Whatever.....

My personal opinion is, for whatever the shit That's worth......is,

It's more the Rubber Gloves while operating the Pistol grip, that are causing the problem than the Pistol Grips on the buckets.

Give me a Pistol Grip Bucket....ANYTIME.

Really? I don't think the gloves have anything to do with it. (yeah Salisbury are a bit harder than Whites...now Salisbury owns White) I think it's the the trigger on the grip that, unless you maintain 3 g's on, that contributes to this. My appointment is next week and the control is being looked at.

Orgnizdlbr
01-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I also like the control of the pistol grip to move the boom....IMHO it is a combination of the gloves and the individual control handle itself. Ive worked all day on controls that activated as soon as the trigger is depressed and have not had a problem. Then worked with controls that wouldnt activate as easily, thats when my elbow would act up. It had to do with the fiber optics...they have a better handle on the FO now.

old lineman
01-11-2007, 02:45 PM
There has been a good exchange of thoughts on this subject. I believe that either style of controls work but likely not for everyone.
The pistol grip can work well if it's set up right and you don't have to exert too much force to activate.
I've seen two trucks parked side by each and one was great while the other was a bear to activate.
The old Pitman joy stick had a safety lever that essentially locked the controls until you wanted to move. Then you had to grasp the joy stick and pull up on the lock to engage.
Many linemen got fatigued or just didn't like the extra step so they would pull up the lock and cable tie it or tape it up.
This is a dangerous practice because now all you had to do was lean against the joy stick and you were on your way. It caused numerous accidents around the neck of the woods.
If the controls are sticky or hard to operate note it on the inspection sheet and have it addressed. Otherwise you may develop some issues with your hands.
Swamp, you mention class 2 rubber gloves. Piece of cake.
Try class 4 like we use here in Ontario.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
There has been a good exchange of thoughts on this subject. I believe that either style of controls work but likely not for everyone.
The pistol grip can work well if it's set up right and you don't have to exert too much force to activate.
I've seen two trucks parked side by each and one was great while the other was a bear to activate.
The old Pitman joy stick had a safety lever that essentially locked the controls until you wanted to move. Then you had to grasp the joy stick and pull up on the lock to engage.
Many linemen got fatigued or just didn't like the extra step so they would pull up the lock and cable tie it or tape it up.
This is a dangerous practice because now all you had to do was lean against the joy stick and you were on your way. It caused numerous accidents around the neck of the woods.
If the controls are sticky or hard to operate note it on the inspection sheet and have it addressed. Otherwise you may develop some issues with your hands.
Swamp, you mention class 2 rubber gloves. Piece of cake.
Try class 4 like we use here in Ontario.
The Old Lineman

shaun
01-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Well Shaun that's a thought too.

You were born in 75. That means you probably started Linework in 95. Maby 93. If you're flyin a bucket now, you probably only been flyin for 3 years or so.
I don't know bout you, but My gloves have always been 20K gloves, Salisbury or White...give a shit. 20K's are a pain in the ass for workin a trigger all day, let alone pullin a cotter key. I don't care how "loose" the trigger is.

I still think Rubber Gloves are THE major cause of Linemen having wrist and hand problems in later life.

Course, swingin a 32 oz ballpen hammer, tuggin and pullin on cable, diggin holes, usin snaps...."using our Hands"...coupled with 20K gloves...just "Might" cause "hand" problems later in life.

Ya THINK? :D :D

I guess that does make sense Swamp. At least it's a common denominator with regards to the gloves. I never had any issues using gloves climbing, working lever type controls, but just recently with the pistol. Maybe coincidence? Well, lets see how it goes at the Doc. ;) Felt OK for a couple but today it wasn't all that good.

cricket
01-11-2007, 09:15 PM
The utility which i work for had an issue with altec when we first recieved our buckets.(in early 90s) Wasn't working yet. Our company looked at the design of the handle and had altec design it differantly. However i just heard from out fleet guy that we have new trucks for the crews but are not being released due to the fact that our company ordered them set up the way that they had them designed and they came the old way. I guess the new way has more room at the joystick and a more "ergonomic stick" for rubber gloves. The upgrade is about 5000.00 bones, for some reason thier arguing about who is going to foot the bill? Ill get picks as soon as they get here.

cricket
01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
yah im not alowd to work in the bucket but when i get a chance i know what your talking about. Sometimes i fell that i can smoke a bucket off the pole. Butt then i remind myself that one day my body will tell me get in the bucket! For what its worth the controls may be causing carpol tunnel?, and working out of your hooks is the best thing for for a body as well. Ill keep you all posted on our bucket situation, maybe u all can use the fix for your company.

graybeard
01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I'ld have to go with the pistol grip as long as it doesn't take too much squeezen to work the deadman. A little trick that can help is to hold your arm straight out and lock your elbow. Then with your hand up (like your trying to tell someone to stop) then pull your fingers back to strech the muscles. Beleave it or not it helps abunch. Works for long rides on a motorcycle too.Helps the wrist and elbow.