PDA

View Full Version : The "Progression" of Linemen

oldfpler
01-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Amen ,you said it all. I too miss the way it was, now it's just a job and the people you work with just don't know what it really means. Thanks for your post.

PA BEN
01-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Your right, the young men in the trade don't seem to have the love. It's just a job. When I finish a job I look at one of the young bucks and say "God, don't you just love this job?" And I get the deer in the head light stare.

Budda
01-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Just the other day, I was talking to my apprentice about the trade, and he was saying the same thing,
"It pays great and the work is easy." I'm also from the old school, Where most of the work was off spurs, not the bucket truck...alot of the crews have become "Asphalt Lineman"
I used to love getting up at "O" dark thirty throw on the Line boots and off to the trade I love...now it has become a chore..the trade has changed... not for the good ..Where I work has become..backstabbing, calling each other down, just so they become a push...no one helps each other any more..
So bottom line.... I'm leaving the company I work for to find one I enjoy working with.

Genoin NW
01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I've been here for over 30 years and I too remember those same times back then. I too love this trade as I do rodeos, training, 15 years on an apprentice council, overseas teaching, and mentor the young ones. I too see what we have lost due to laws and and law suits, but I also see what has changed for the good. The schools are excellent with the help of all of us old guys, the tools are much better, the trucks are far superior, and the pay is great. I have seen some excellent linemen come out of their apprenticeship that are very valuable to safety and training. You see and hear of some bad eggs out there but for the most part this trade is thriving. I'm proud like you to be in it. Keep it positive!

lineman641
01-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey swampy, did you see some of your old lineman buddies over the holidays and sit around with a few captains and come up with that post?......its a good one….got me to thinking……….I guess I would be considered a “between” lineman. Taught by the older lineman, but helping the new. Gone are the days of customer service, changing breakers, and light bulbs for that elderly couple, receptacles, even meter blocks…..all because of liability and lawsuits. Many won’t even reset a breaker because of that……it’s the corporate mentality…… sad…..I hear many “youngins” ask “what the hell is that for?” then some of us smile, tell them and put it back on the shelve to collect more dust............ Many will never know the lack of feeling in certain body parts after 8+ hours in your hooks……I wonder what the lineman that taught the lineman that taught me would think?…I know the answer to that..lol….…..one thing for sure, it is a lot safer for us and that is a good thing!.......lineman today will get it done just the same as we always have , just a different way of doing things…… I do enjoy line work, it’s just not as fun as it used to be, to much bulls%&t………… Well that’s progress I guess……..”lineman are a funny bunch”………….good post….

shaun
01-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey swampy, did you see some of your old lineman buddies over the holidays and sit around with a few captains and come up with that post?......its a good one….got me to thinking……….I guess I would be considered a “between” lineman. Taught by the older lineman, but helping the new. Gone are the days of customer service, changing breakers, and light bulbs for that elderly couple, receptacles, even meter blocks…..all because of liability and lawsuits. Many won’t even reset a breaker because of that……it’s the corporate mentality…… sad…..I hear many “youngins” ask “what the hell is that for?” then some of us smile, tell them and put it back on the shelve to collect more dust............ Many will never know the lack of feeling in certain body parts after 8+ hours in your hooks……I wonder what the lineman that taught the lineman that taught me would think?…I know the answer to that..lol….…..one thing for sure, it is a lot safer for us and that is a good thing!.......lineman today will get it done just the same as we always have , just a different way of doing things…… I do enjoy line work, it’s just not as fun as it used to be, to much bulls%&t………… Well that’s progress I guess……..”lineman are a funny bunch”………….good post….

Absolutely! Great reply fella!! I feel the same way.

Genoin NW
01-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Remember the old days when there was a tap fuse that fed a dozen or so cp trandformers all banked together on open wire secondaries? Wasn't that fun to troubleshoot?

Doggboi
01-08-2007, 06:38 AM
I wouldnt lose heart guys. I am attending SLTC in Georgia at the moment, and some of the sentiments that are being conveyed to us by the instructors, some as fresh as 2001 grads of the same school are nothing but love for the job and the guys they work with. The corporate atmosphere has definately changed, but I believe that the lineman do love thier jobs and a lot of them strive for that little something extra. The up and coming 'noobs' look to thier mentors to instill in them the love that they know for the job. A small portion of the reason I continue to persue this career is from reading the posts some of you 'old-timers' have put up here.

co lineman
01-08-2007, 07:29 AM
I haven't been around too long but I do LOVE my job and feeling I get when I do complete a job...I have to say I have never had the feeling of being in my hooks for eight hours but do know the feeling of completing a hard job....I was actually getting into a guy the other day because of not having the heart for the job..I try and teach the apes I am around it just isn't about the money it is about the job..Good post....I was raised in a small town so I try and help people when I go out on trouble and find something simple..

"little beaver"
01-08-2007, 09:32 AM
I've been here for over 30 years and I too remember those same times back then. I too love this trade as I do rodeos, training, 15 years on an apprentice council, overseas teaching, and mentor the young ones. I too see what we have lost due to laws and and law suits, but I also see what has changed for the good. The schools are excellent with the help of all of us old guys, the tools are much better, the trucks are far superior, and the pay is great. I have seen some excellent linemen come out of their apprenticeship that are very valuable to safety and training. You see and hear of some bad eggs out there but for the most part this trade is thriving. I'm proud like you to be in it. Keep it positive!

Yea, I agree with what SR had to say, but the above has a few 'pearls of wisdom' as well.
'".......the trucks are far superior, and the pay is great. I have seen some excellent linemen come out of their apprenticeship that are very valuable to safety and training...."
For me I think the equipment was the major improvement from when I started in the sixties. The rodeos never did impress me in that they don't really represent the way things are done in reality....but that's just me! I thought that most of the Apprentices were really good and certainly better trained than we were on the paper end of things which is 'just the way it is' in the 'post modern era'.
As far as "backbiting" etc, there was always always some of that especially in the bigger linerooms. It's just 'human nature'....I always ignored it as much as possible and just 'did my thing'. The last place I worked (27yrs) was really good, I was both the foreman and the shop steward for the last 8yrs and everyone stuck together and we all worked good together. We had a 'goof' for a supervisor so rather than let it get to us, we just made a joke of it!!

mrnick
01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
We had a 'goof' for a supervisor so rather than let it get to us, we just made a joke of it!!

I have to agree with that, my job right now is really boring, you have to make it fun to get through the day, or else you just be bored and have no motivation to come to work..Well thats how I am lol...

I did want to be a lineman once, until I an unexpected ear infection hit me and cause some permanent damage to my inner ear, which leaves me with dizzy/vertigo spells, and I can't climb poles like that, so I decided insted of climbing them, why not design transmission towers? I have been into power lines of all kinds since I was just a youngin'(like 3 yrs old...used to call trans. towers "tractors" LOL).

I want to do this for a passion, not a big fat paycheck, though that would be nice, I want to do it, because I know I can!

And to all of you lineguys, I always come out giving stuff if there are guys working in my neighborhood, if someone wants a drink, I am more than happy to give what I have :)

porky pig
01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
"Linemen are a funny Bunch......".
And...if you can complete that statement, you're an "older" lineman.

What a wonderful Trade. I really can't convey how much I Love, and Have loved it. It's made my life, and a great life I've had and am still having...because of LINEWORK.

You've heard, and read me refer to... "Back in the Day"....well, just remember..."Your Back in the day" is coming." Youngins.

"Things", "Progress".
"Things" get "Better", We're all lookin for The best for us and Ours.

I'm an "old school, back in the day...69, Lineman".
I was brought up, rollin in the dirt with a guy if we had a "problem" on the job.

I just see a different "Breed" of Linemen nowdays. AND...I understand this New Breed.

They're... "Scared",... of repricussions, anything from racial descrimination on the job to dealing with "customers". It's just a "different day". Mental Stress, us "Back in the Day Linemen" never had to deal with.

The NEW day, of Reality, in 2007. Bottom line? Ya can't say shit about nothin. Just keep your mouth shut.

"Back in the day"....I use to actually go into a customers home and help them replace a fuse in their fuse box, or even a recepical in their home.

Before "Law suites"...........

I've digressed enough.

It's a "Different Day and time" for Linemen. Like all the other Trades....We've "Progressed" to what a Lineman is today, and what the Line Trade is today..

I guess, "It's all good". Progress is always good right?

I'm just glad I started Linework, "back in the Day". When it was FUN, and I couldn't WAIT to get up and go to work the next day.

I don't see that Love no more. Anywhere in Linework.

In all the apprentices I've raised.......I don't hear nothin bout the "Love" of Linework. It's just a good job that PAYS GREAT!

It's all good.....I guess.
how true you write,started 65,guess lineys are the same in most countries.CHEERS V.

dbrown20
01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
You guys have dipped into the sauce too much. dbrown20

LINETRASH
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Don't loose hope, Swamper,

I have my moments, get pissed at the customers, sometimes don't want to be here.

I do run across situations that bring me back to the basics.

Jaded as I am, I still believe in human nature, and have made lots of folks happy by replacing fuses, fixing open neutrals, and, yes, helping them to replace bad breakers.

In my case it depends on the situation. If you show attitude, you can kiss my ass. If you are friendly and nice, I will bend over backwards to help you out.

I guess what I'm saying is that the customers have changed too. I have been cussed really bad in situations where they blame the company for the problems. My best defense to this has been a level tone and even temper. Gets 'em every time.

'Far as the newbies, I have met both kind, those who are here for the money, and those who love the trade.

Sadly, the latter are becoming rare.

Bottom line, management tends to try to lessen our importance, implying that they can get anybody to do our job.

And that, my brothers and sisters is the problem.

We ALL need to wake up and put management on notice that they would be in deep shit without us.

cricket
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
well you gramps may be right. However there are a few left, and im one!. Yesterday i dangled from a helicopter 60 ft down and landed on poles and flew over 100 mph! Wooooh what a blast i love this shit! The new age is in and we are comin with inovative ideas and kickin ass with the old ones.

dbrown20
01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Ya know mr. brown,
My momma always use to tell me,

"It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool...than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt".

I agree, because you have proven that time and again. Also the further you get away from something the better it seems. dbrown20

"little beaver"
01-11-2007, 10:09 AM
"They're... "Scared",... of repricussions, anything from racial descrimination on the job to dealing with "customers". It's just a "different day". Mental Stress, us "Back in the Day Linemen" never had to deal with"

Yea, you've nailed it again. Those that offered 'disparaging' comments to your text are probably those wiedos that love all the 'rules and regs' stuff. Even in our day there were some of those types, insecure or genetically flawed etc. For me, I was always 'conniving' a way around the BS and nonsense.
I use to love to get those 'rules and regs' guys on my crew. It gave me some amusement to pass the day!!
Now that I'm just working for the Oil Companies, it's COOL. They are all 'rules and regs' 'till the Jacks aren't pumping or the Compressor Station is down and then its get this stuff back on line!

TXsplitbolt
01-11-2007, 07:47 PM
:D Yeah i too miss rolling in the dirt with a grunt (oh know we cant say that any more):mad:

Bassmaster
02-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I've been a lineman for only 4 years now and made 1st class 2 months ago, I started as an apprentice when I was 41years old. I look forward to coming to work, this is the best job that I can imagine. Some of the lineman that trained me seem to complain alot and half of them are younger than myself but I keep them pumped up. God has been good to me in letting me find a job that I love.

HookMan
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I am 25 years old, just finished my apprentice school. I LOVE WHAT I DO!!!! my wife hates it but I love it.The guys I work with are great, the company and the cash isnt bad either. Just thought I would put in my two pennies...... keep the faith there are some of "us" that love LINEWORK.

mainline
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I've been in the trade for ten years now. I have a college degree, but I can't imagine using it when someone pays me to do what I do. I love coming to work. I love the rigging, the thinking through problems, working as part of a crew. I love linework. I cannot think of a better job. So don't lose heart old timers some of young guys love the trade that you helped build, and want to learn all of the good things that you have to teach. That and I think your right that to much of the rolling in the dirt has been lost to political correctness.

boogerman
02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Well I don't if everyone is ready for this one, but howabout working with a lineman that comes in talking about his live-in male companion. That just ain't right.

edski104
02-05-2007, 09:32 PM
gotta say gents, after 28 years and quite a few poles, i'm only 47 and still swinging as much as i can. can't quite keep the pace i did in my 20's but now i'm smarter and know a hell of a lot more tricks,too. i wouldn't ,hell, i can't see myself doing anything else. sometimes the company still gets to you, but theres still times you can just be upstairs and know thats how it's supposed to be. everythings right.just pause for a little and look around, see whats what. take a nice puff on my cigar, and back to work. sagging shit or whatever,hell guys,you ALL know these things. why we do this. still the best job on the planet. still a blast. still goin' and goin' and goin' and goin'!!!:cool:

playtime
02-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm going to put my opinion in on this also. Someone else called them selves an in betweener (tweener), That's probably where I fall on this. The equipment, tools and materials are all changing. To some degree it is not the job the old linemen grew up with. Electronic OCR', Regulators, New switching equipment. You have to try and stay up with the changes.

The old linemen were appreciated alot more by consumers and by management. They were the heart of the business. Today it is more of a Business, run by management that doesn't know JACK about linework or electricity. The bottom line is the almighty dollar$$. This in itself puts a scare into apprentices and they haven't even gotten to the dangers of being a lineman.

Apprentices are very concerned about making money as they start their careers as was the case when I started for $6.10 an hour. It wasn't until I was a journeyman and getting comfortable with my life until I appreciated what it meant to be a lineman. I loved what I was doing and couldn't imagine what other occupation I would/could enjoy more. There are apprentices that lack the heart to put everything into their work and are just looking for the almighty $$$ but there are a few of them in every career.
Bottom line is their are few that appreciate their job and love it until they have a few years under their belt. Exception being the young man I read about a few posts earlier that was doing chopper work.

Work SAFE and get home to the family every night.

playtime
02-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I don't if everyone is ready for this one, but howabout working with a lineman that comes in talking about his live-in male companion. That just ain't right.

Now that's I guy I would be afraid to have watching my back.lol:eek:

LostArt
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Now that's I guy I would be afraid to have watching my back.lol:eek:

That would be BACKSIDE Mr. Playtime. :D

playtime
02-05-2007, 10:51 PM
That would be BACKSIDE Mr. Playtime. :D

Close enough:)

LostArt
02-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Close enough:)

No, not FAR enough. :D

playtime
02-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Hay, "tweeners" are cool.

They at least have a concept of the Old way of Linework, and can see better, the intergration of the New way of Linework. To them, it's probably a "bit" easier. The "best of both worlds" so to speak.

Thanks Swamprat!! I have read many of your posts and you have a vast knowledge and many experiences of linework. Thanks for enlightening us with it.

old lineman
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I think I was the lowest paid lineman in North America. See if you can under- cut this.
I was paid twice a month, on the 1st day and the 15th. That equals 24 pays a year. Sometime 2 weekends between pays.
Getting paid every 2 weeks adds up to 26 pays a year.
I was gyped out of 1 months pay every year.
My salary was $175.00 a month which equals $2100.00 a year or approximately $1.00 an hour.
Oh yeh, they gave us two pairs of pants a year and four shirts.
I could fill the gas tank for about $3.50.
I had the world by the tail on a down hill pull.
Our superintendent told us there was a lineman under every horse turd on the road. They're kind of scarce these days.
But that's what everybody has been saying.
The Old Lineman

old horseman
02-10-2007, 09:18 AM
The Journeyman lineman of today is a product of the Old School. I was taught the trade but not the love of the trade. I developed that on my own. Sitting on bar stool listening to Gf's & F's talking to JL's while they built miles of line on paper napikins. There was something about those men and I wanted to be like them. I,ve seen old tramps hire on and take a young hotshot ape and put him in his place make the youngin feel like a green first step, then remold him teach him and make him a better hand. I've also seen some who treat these kids like crap because they can. With the laws of today we can't go to the bar with the crew and bond like the old days. But we can spend 20 min after work jawing with these kids. We can kick a hot ape,or young Jl outta of the bucket and transfer that corner pole ourself to show them how its done. I geuss the point I'm trying to make is if we have fun at work and include them they will devlop the love of the trade like we did. Currently we a doing feeder harding a good time for the squeaks to get some hot time, I had a ball last week durring the deep freeze sneaking into the bucket while my ape was setting up road signs. When he asked me if he was in trouble or had done something wrong and why I flying? I replied because I can.

Irishup
02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
How old do you have to be to be an old time lineman? Does just feeling old count?

Irishup
02-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I've been doing this job about twenty years. Seen alot of bad weather, hurricanes, ice storms, snow, had alot of good times. An old time lineman once told me 'it aint the job it's who your working the job with' boy was he right. I've seen some changes, its about 50/50 good and bad. Improvements in safety are usually good....... paper work, gps systems, and forced ot are always bad. One day an old timer was listening to some apprentices talk about their 401k and the stock market. He let out out a little sigh and said "hey at your age I was only concerned about getting drunk and getting laid". Boy have times changed.
To me a real old time lineman has a passion for his job that transends all the bullshit that the bosses heap on him. He comes in for an honest days work and knows that everyone under his charge will go home to their family that night. I hope to be an old time lineman someday

LostArt
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
How old do you have to be to be an old time lineman? Does just feeling old count?

I think the earlier you climb and the more you do it when you are young, the more you feel your age later. Or feel your age SOONER than later.

Koga
02-13-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure age has a lot to do with it. Some of the youngest 1st class guys we have take pride in and have the love for line work like old timers. Some don't and never will . Its their attitude and lack of the two things I mentioned above that makes the difference and I can spot em in a heart beat. One thing for sure though the best of the old timers didn't get old by being unsafe and not loving the work.

Koga