PDA

View Full Version : Info on GPS

Trampbag
01-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I’m interested in getting a handheld GPS. I want to use it in the car/truck for personal use: a little hunting, fishing and photography as well as travelling pretty much anywhere. Can anyone advise what works best for them??

staggerlee
01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey Trampbag, I use a Garman Legend. Seems to work pretty well and with a 1000 waypoints lots of room for everything I want to do. I like the details of the maps and the fact that it will do "tracking". This means that if you go down an unmapped logging road with the track turned on it will add this to your map of the area. You can even enter a name for the road if you want. I did find this fall in heavy rainstorm and thick woods that I had to get into a bit of an open area,out from the nice dry ground under the tree,to get an accurate reading but don't know if any other brand would have made any difference. All in all I like the way this works and fun to use. Try to avoid reading all the detailed instructions at first and use the "Quick Guide" to get you going or you will be frustrated into giving up. After using the GPS for awhile then go back and look at some of the more detailed information. I also downloaded info from the web site which was very helpful. Good Luck and keep Safe!

linemanfrog
01-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a garmin etrex legend (it is the blue etrex). I use it for fresh and saltwater fishing, hunting, and traveling. It is a breeze to use, all you really need to know is on the quick start card that comes with it. Once you learn the basics from it then if you want you can learn all the bells and whistles out of the manual.

The only problem I have noticed and I think just about all GPS are affected in the same way, it that if you let it sit in the sun it will black out the screen temporarily.

The extrex series is pretty good though. If I upgrade it will be only to a garmin that has a bigger screen.

Oh and they are damn tough. Mines been submerged in water, dropped, etc and still works as good as the day I first used it.

CenterPointEX
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
For $80 I bought a program called Doelorme formy lap top that does all the above. It comes with a GPS antenna that plugs into USB. The laptop is a little awkward to pack around. You will need an inverter to plug into the lighter to run the computer. They sell computer stands to put int the truck. I always have my computer with me anyway so it works for me. The hand held devices are pretty expensive yet. Tom Tom is one that a lot of the cab drivers use. It has a pretty neat display that you can mount on your dashboard.

shaun
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's mine.......

Hahahahahahahahahaha!! Hey, where'd ya get it and how much?? I think that'll go perfect with my truck!!

LostArt
01-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Here's mine.......

LMAO!!! Leave it to BH. :D Good to see you posting BH...

harley
01-22-2007, 08:08 AM
BH
Please post more pictures of the royal enfield

zapped74
01-22-2007, 09:19 AM
My company bought us Garman model 60c's you enter the address click through to follow roads and you are on your way it will even give you a decient E.T.A. which is good for police and fire calls. It had kinda spoiled me a little don't have to check maps for every flick ticket they send me on. :D In addition our company tech folks have even got most of our transformer locations, fuses, disconnects and our in the process of adding low viaduct clearences with an alarm if you get too close ( have had a few troublemen wipe out booms going under a place where there trucks shouldn't be )