PDA

View Full Version : Grunt

rustey
01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Do 1st year app's make enough to pay the bills? Ive got an ok job now but I don't really enjoy it i'd like to get into this trade but have bills to pay. There are so many unknowns; trying to get a better idea of what kind of financial position I need to be in in order for this to work. I was on the list for an njatc but they called 1 week after I closed on my house. Going to re-apply but want to be ready this time. If you travel do you still get laid off occasionally, and how much does travelling cost you? Also if you need to go back home are you able to take a brake if your not near your home? Thanks for any help you can give.

scammy
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
rusty,,we are lineman because that is what we really want to be ,if you are only worried about the money , maybe you should reconcider. but if you want the most thrilling and dangerous job in the world ,,,,nothing else will matter,good luck ,,scammy

d.doster@charter.net
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Do 1st year app's make enough to pay the bills? Ive got an ok job now but I don't really enjoy it i'd like to get into this trade but have bills to pay. There are so many unknowns; trying to get a better idea of what kind of financial position I need to be in in order for this to work. I was on the list for an njatc but they called 1 week after I closed on my house. Going to re-apply but want to be ready this time. If you travel do you still get laid off occasionally, and how much does travelling cost you? Also if you need to go back home are you able to take a brake if your not near your home? Thanks for any help you can give.

try to start with a power company i have wasted 20 years with a city stay company you will make if you can put up with the old guys like me we really do want you to do good
oldjohn

kingnai
01-28-2007, 08:25 PM
:) My first full year 2006 (I actually started in Aug 2005) as a 1st 2nd and 3rd step groundman I grossed 55K with overtime and bonus...

I thought I was going to take a big pay cut and that was fine with me because this is something I have allways wanted to do.

I didn't realize that 13.23 an hour to start could turn into 55k the first full year:)

damn_encode
01-29-2007, 12:50 AM
How much you will make will depend on where in the country you are located. Other factors include: Union or Non, how much overtime you work, any storm work, per-diem, etc. I have only worked non-union and I started as a grunt on a T-Line Crew with all my tools (climbing gear & hand tools) at $15.00 PH + $50.00 Per Day, after 3 Months I got a raise to $16.00 + the subsistence. After 6 months I switched companies and stayed at the same rate initially, then after 60 days I started my apprenticeship and got a raise to $19.75 + $45.00. I will be at that pay rate for a while until I get a couple of steps under my belt. We have lots of work and normally work between 50-60 hours a week, sometimes more.

In most cases you can make more working for the union (a lot more if you consider the benefits and incremental pay raises & union protection) but unless you work for a utility with a union contract you could be traveling with union contractors through a JATC. Could be lots of traveling, or very little, who knows and the people who know make no promises. I think if the apprentice takes advantage of this opportunity he would have the experience to be a hell of a Journeyman. However I have a young family and I value my time with them dearly. It is not worth it to me to spend to much time away from them, no matter how much it costs me.

Good luck getting started, I questioned myself sometimes in the beginning because I left my family behind and didn’t see them for 8 months, but now after the sacrifice has been made we are back together again. I would do it again if I had to, its worth it.

electric squirrel
01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
:) My first full year 2006 (I actually started in Aug 2005) as a 1st 2nd and 3rd step groundman I grossed 55K with overtime and bonus...

I thought I was going to take a big pay cut and that was fine with me because this is something I have allways wanted to do.

I didn't realize that 13.23 an hour to start could turn into 55k the first full year:)

King where the hell are you working??$ 13.23,, I pay the guy who cleans my horse stalls more than that!!! Grunts in California make $ 25.42 and anything after 8 hrs is double time!!! If your working rat and you think you are getting somewhere at 55 k a year you got the wool pulled over your eyes pretty bad!!
I just made three times what you did!!!!!

Hey encode I thought you were smart enough that you where going to apply to the local jatc....?? You would have made enough money out here to take your family with you wherever you went!!!! E.S.

Bigheadnc
01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Where the hell are you at Rustey?

srflores67
01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
So a grunt in Cali can start out at that much? Im currently in the Marine Corps and I will going back to Iraq in about a month. I get back (unless I get extended) by September and will get out by November of this year. I wanted to be an interior electrician but I think I rather be a lineman. Im from Cali, So you think that I would be able to start out over $20/hr in Cali as a groundman?

damn_encode
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Now, Now, Squirrel everything is not always perfect in California. Ya you make a ass load of money, but it costs an ass load to live down there. I am fairly happy with the positon I have now, I was able to get my family back together and come home every night.

Sometimes money isnt everything.

Did you journey out yet?

NCLineman
02-02-2007, 07:21 PM
One nice thing for any prior military guys is that at alot of companies (PG&E, JATC ETC) you can use ur GI Bill for the apprenticeship. I went through mine and used my GI Bill which made up the differance between apprentice and journeyman wages. Basiclly, i was making as much as the journeyman lineman on the crew and was only a first step. Not all programs are approved through the V.A. so you will have to do your homework.

srflores67
02-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Ive read up on using the G.I. Bill with my apprenticeship. As soon as a I start as a groundman, do I start my apprenticeship? Or do I start out as a groundman and then I will get my apprenticeship approved? If anyone could give me as much information as possible or any advice I would really appreciate it. I contacted (by email) the Vice President of an electric Company (Contra Costa Electric, Inc) and he said he would have someone contact me and give me more info on the CalNev Lineman appenticeship program.

rustey
02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I know the moneys good but kind of curious as to what apprentices spend on travel. I live in NY and would like to da a jatc apprentice, i've heard you make between 35 and 50 as a 1st step but i have know idea how much travelling is involved or how much it can cost. thanks for the info.

linescum
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
i've spent 18 out of 21 yrs living out of a suitcase,, never regretted a single minute

shaun
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I know the moneys good but kind of curious as to what apprentices spend on travel. I live in NY and would like to da a jatc apprentice, i've heard you make between 35 and 50 as a 1st step but i have know idea how much travelling is involved or how much it can cost. thanks for the info.

Where do ya live in NY? O&R if you're close. Cod Ed maybe if you're 5 borough bound.

42linehand
03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Look at IBEW Local 1249 they are out of NY. You could become an apprentice in the LU through the NJATC. I would say you would start around 20.00 hr plus free benefits. The apprenticeship is shorter their than with the Power Company.

taco
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Where do ya live in NY? O&R if you're close. Cod Ed maybe if you're 5 borough bound.

screw o&r. i'll be homeless and starving before i work on their property!!!!!

dj_cronic_metal
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I know maybe this is the wrong section to post this, but i'm looking for any information someone might be able to give me on where I can get into an apprenticeship in the phoenix metro area. If anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

PA BEN
11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Will $20.00 + an hr. pay your bills?:eek:

seanm402
11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Well here in Wisconsin you start out at $23.16 for a 1st step apprentice for the contractors and close to the same for the utilities. Municipalities are a few dollars less. I would discourage anyone from becoming a lineman just because of the money. There is a lot more to it then what meets the eye. I know I found that out when I first start school. There is a lot to learn and it takes lots of skill and knowledge to do this type of work. Also remember you will have to work in the worst of weather at the worst of times. Also if money is a concern I would look up some of the tools you will need to buy, a good pair of boots alone will cost you $200 - $300, climbing belts are $200-400, and climbers and pads are $200 - $500 just to name a few items. I would just make sure that line work is what you really want to do. I would say that once you start to get good at this type of work, it starts to get in your blood.

rustey
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
I understand what the job consists of and I think it's a good match for me, what i'm trying to find out is how much an appentice should expect to spend on travelling if they choose to apprentice through the jatc.

compression
12-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I just finished the movalley jatc last month:D - did the entire time with PAR. Never spent a dime traveling....well I did buy sodas and smokes but that was it. Made between 70 and 80 all three years($18=1st step and $28.74 7th step). Can't say I traveled much, went on a shitload of storms, hurricanes, fire/windstorms and the wonderful icestorms.....but they picked up the tab for everything all I had to buy was smokes/chew and beer. Never stormed more than 60 days straight, then came back home to whatever I was doing b4 we left. If your local work dries up and you have to travel you could almost always find someone to go with and share costs, aint heard of many places drying up though....

I agree with the other guys on the money too, there are alot easier ways to make money - there's just not any of'em that are this much fun!

rustey
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks compression that's what I want to hear. I'm sure it depends who you end up working for and where but that sounds great. I turned it down once, i'm re-applying and I want to be ready. How'd did you get in with par? I'd love to hear from some other recent apps also.

Sparks33183
12-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Even though im 2nd step i have learned alot, and def did not do this for money..Havent been on any storms, and traveled a bit...Matter of fact i actually kind of like traveling. You get to see new things, meet great guys, and learn many different ways to do the same thing that everyone else does...Although the price of food and hotel fair can get rather high, the laughter and learning experience is priceless....I honestly feel that if you never travel and stay with the same company your whole apprenticeship, then how much knowledge do you really have???? If your only here so you can pay for ur house and family, please dont work with me...I rather have someone who does this for the thrill then the paycheck!!!!! But good luck hope all works out

Dorchester
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I honestly feel that if you never travel and stay with the same company your whole apprenticeship, then how much knowledge do you really have???? If your only here so you can pay for ur house and family, please dont work with me...

Get a life Sparks. I don't know anyone who works for the fun of it.

I rather have someone who does this for the thrill then the paycheck!!!!!

You sound like a cowboy Sparks, and I'd rather not work with someone who works for the "thrill" of it. Work safely

PA BEN
01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I honestly feel that if you never travel and stay with the same company your whole apprenticeship, then how much knowledge do you really have???? If your only here so you can pay for ur house and family, please dont work with me...

Get a life Sparks. I don't know anyone who works for the fun of it.

I rather have someone who does this for the thrill then the paycheck!!!!!

You sound like a cowboy Sparks, and I'd rather not work with someone who works for the "thrill" of it. Work safely

You just told us all about how much you don't know about being a LINEMAN. There's a lot of utilities out there that have LINEMAN that do all aspects of this trade and there apprentice's have to know them all before they top out. You don't have to travel to become a good JURNEYMAN. Have you ever heard the term, The Joy Of Linework? It's fun and whats really great about it? We get a good paycheck to do a job that gives one such pleasure and self satisfaction.
"house and family, please don't work with me..." Sounds like you need to grow up. It also sounds like you are the cowboy who need to earn the right to work along side a REAL LINEMAN. By the way I've been doing this job for 24 years and I still think it's fun to do line work. I'm not ready to go the a service truck yet.:D

Dorchester
01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Settle down there Ben,
I don't know how to pull quotes out and comment after. Look at my post a little more closely, you will see that I pulled quotes out of Rustey's post and commented on them.

That being said, I work for a Utility in the northeast, and we do all aspects of linework. (Everything they don't sub out to the contractors). We don't travel, unless we do a mutual aid trip.
I could not care less what someone's motivation is for doing the work they do, only that they work safely.
You sound like you are awfully full of yourself Ben, and I know a few guys like you. I'm all set with working with a "REAL LINEMAN" like you. I'd rather work with the linemen who doesn't tell you about how much he knows and how long he's been doing it.

PA BEN
01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
You sound like you are awfully full of yourself Ben, and I know a few guys like you. I'm all set with working with a "REAL LINEMAN" like you. I'd rather work with the linemen who doesn't tell you about how much he knows and how long he's been doing it.

Your right, I'm very confident in my ability's as a lineman. You can call it full of myself, I call it confidence. Sure there's still some tricks I can learn. I doubt at this time in your young career you could carry my Kline's. And by the way kid or should I say Mr. apprentice I have my ticket and I'm proud of my carrere as a lineman. Some day when you prove your worth, top out, become a Real LINEMAN and hone your skills you will look back and be proud of what you have done with your life. That being said be safe watch your back and your pole partners back. Learn all you can and don't get ahead of your self. Sounds like you have a good start, most LINEMAN aren't afraid to speak there mind, I can tell you have that one nailed.:D

PA BEN
01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Even though im 2nd step i have learned alot, and def did not do this for money..Havent been on any storms, and traveled a bit...Matter of fact i actually kind of like traveling. You get to see new things, meet great guys, and learn many different ways to do the same thing that everyone else does...Although the price of food and hotel fair can get rather high, the laughter and learning experience is priceless....I honestly feel that if you never travel and stay with the same company your whole apprenticeship, then how much knowledge do you really have???? If your only here so you can pay for ur house and family, please dont work with me...I rather have someone who does this for the thrill then the paycheck!!!!! But good luck hope all works out

You just told us all about how much you don't know about being a LINEMAN. There's a lot of utilities out there that have LINEMAN that do all aspects of this trade and there apprentice's have to know them all before they top out. You don't have to travel to become a good JURNEYMAN. Have you ever heard the term, The Joy Of Linework? It's fun and whats really great about it? We get a good paycheck to do a job that gives one such pleasure and self satisfaction.
"house and family, please don't work with me..." Sounds like you need to grow up. It also sounds like you are the cowboy who need to earn the right to work along side a REAL LINEMAN. By the way I've been doing this job for 24 years and I still think it's fun to do line work. I'm not ready to go the a service truck yet.:eek:

Sorry for the miss understanding Dorchester

PK270
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
You might want to pay attention for awhile and see who are the "experienced and respected" around here. You may end up steppin on toes of shoes you cant fill.

Had a sweet cush job for awhile, I left it to do trans climbing towers all day. Why, because this is the coolest F'n job on the planet. Glad it supports my family but I LOVE this line of work.

Dorchester
01-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Ben and Pk, I'm not looking to make waves.
I am top step journeyman lineman, I also have a degree in electrical engineering. I do enjoy my work, but I am first and foremost a father, a husband, and primary provider for my family. Good luck to you all, you won't be hearing from me.

PA BEN
01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Ben and Pk, I'm not looking to make waves.
I am top step journeyman lineman, I also have a degree in electrical engineering. I do enjoy my work, but I am first and foremost a father, a husband, and primary provider for my family. Good luck to you all, you won't be hearing from me.

Wasn't trying to run you off.:( I don't know how long you've been around linemen but there bark is worse then there bite.:D

scammy
01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
PA,,,,,,let him blow,,,,,,,scammy