PDA

View Full Version : 5kv deltas?

flashman
01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Morning linemen, I'm trying to find out how those of you who work this type of system go about working it. Tell me if you work it hot or denergized and grounded,off the pole or bucket hot. It seems that alot of utilities are downplaying the dangers and trying to minimize the risk factor. We work it hot off the pole. Any and all input would be helpful. Thanks! flashman.

dbrown20
01-13-2007, 04:57 AM
5 KV and below has always been gloved from the pole while energized as long as I have been around it.

Strangely enough, early in last yr. (06), Pub. Serv. Co. of Ok. decided to only glove below 1000 volts from the pole. Was never given a reason. They are a part of AEP but never have been told if this is standard throughout their system or just a PSO thing.

I've never thought it was a problem. How long you been in the trade? dbrown20

Orgnizdlbr
01-13-2007, 09:19 AM
In Jersey, we work it hot from a bucket. What, specifically, are you refering to whjen you reference downplaying the dangers?

flashman
01-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I have been in the trade for 20yrs and still going strong. I was asking because I have heard some utilities don't glove it off the pole. I was trained to glove it off the pole and don't have a problem with at all. I guess my question is kind of vague but in recent view of the people coming up in the trade I question if they are recieving the proper training. I see some guys slapping the wires around as if handling secondaries and wonder what they are thinking.Backfeed was always taught as a rule of thumb in our deltas and people have been hurt not thinking of it. flashman

dbrown20
01-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Well backfeed can be true of any kind of line delta or wye. Always have to look out for backfeed. That's just a hazard of the work that has to be taken into account for. Present in all systems I have worked on. dbrown20