PDA

View Full Version : 11 KV Breakdown attending process

byjuvc
01-20-2007, 11:12 AM
In our utility we have a target time of 3 hours to attend 11 KV breakdowns . In an Overhead system , is it possible to test a feeder without disconnecting the CT/PT units ( connected usually in star star 11KV/110 V)? Disconnection of these units is time consuming. We usually megger the main cable feeding the O/H line and subsequent cable sections which are taping off from the main O/H line. But the process become time consuming.....also we are suggesting to put O/H Fault passage indicators (FPI) on these cables, does anyone have any experience in which the FPI were misleading them?

Thx

Byju

Bigheadnc
01-22-2007, 12:10 AM
hi byju, if you do not dis-connect the CT/PT Transformers it will give you a decreased reading when you meg the cable. Right? I have megged and hypoted alot of cable. i have built alot of cat banks and subs. built reg. banks. I was tought to dis-connect the transformers.
as far as a time limit on you. that seems a little crappy. you can never tell when you go what exactly is or caused such a problem.

byjuvc
01-22-2007, 12:45 AM
hi byju, if you do not dis-connect the CT/PT Transformers it will give you a decreased reading when you meg the cable. Right? I have megged and hypoted alot of cable. i have built alot of cat banks and subs. built reg. banks. I was tought to dis-connect the transformers.
as far as a time limit on you. that seems a little crappy. you can never tell when you go what exactly is or caused such a problem.

You are right we get a very low reading when we megger the feeder with the CT/pT unit connected. The situation is even worse if the weather is damp.