PDA

View Full Version : Forget safety

Dbearman
01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
What is the best way to force feed the company you work for the will to provide proper tools , equipment and training for the linemen doing the job for them ?
Is OSHA the answer or is it better to start filing grievances through the union ?
One way or another this CO-OP is going to get the message even if we have to ram it down their throats. Any advice appreciated on which way to proceed with this. The days of sending crews to do work without the proper equipment will be coming to an abrupt halt one way or another !! Any thoughts appreciated.

Bull Dog
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Every company does what is in its own self interest. You the linemen and other workers need to get them to understand safety is CHEAPER than ignorance. I would say you use every possible tool you have as a group to get them to understand this. So my answer is all the above and then some. We got it in our contract that the workers had the right to refuse unsafe work. Things changed real fast after that. The problem was we had some dumb sups that didnt have a clue other than the fastest was was the best. We had to change the attitude through out the whole co. starting from the top to the bottom. It was very gratifying to me to see this happen. So i would say you use every tool in your bag and keep at it they will get it eventually. Good luck its great to see someone with your attitude.

duckhunter
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Dbearman,
I am assuming by your message that your co-op is not accredited through NRECA. I would not only contact OSHA, I would also file grievences. I would contact your insurance company. If you are not comfortable doing that, I'll do it for you. If you are insured by Federated like most co-ops, they will get things kick started for you.