PDA

View Full Version : Do you live in the area that your power company covers?

LostArt
02-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Just curious to know if you live in your coverage area. Because of milage difference from one local office/district to another, the Boss and I are actually closer to the office he works from. But, as some of you guys know, the coverage for other utilities/companies might be split.

So, the answer to my original question: Do you live in the area that your power company covers? Is no for us.

JD426H
02-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Yep......unfortunately I have to give them some of their money back :(

LostArt
02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Yep......unfortunately I have to give them some of their money back :(

LMAO! Too funny JD. :D

When we find ourselves without power, the boss cracks me up. He says, "Have you called?" I always say, "No dear. Someone will call." He frowns and says, "Go call woman! Knowing the neighbors around here, they probably will think I will be called out to fix it." LOL! How true. And when an electrician is needed, they call the boss! I get a kick out of him trying to explain his way out of that one! :D

grillman
02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I live within my district, and I kind of sucks because every time the lights blink my neighbors call me. The woman next door must have been a hell of a lineman before she went into real estate because she can always seem to hear cutouts blow.

Orgnizdlbr
02-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Just curious to know if you live in your coverage area. Because of milage difference from one local office/district to another, the Boss and I are actually closer to the office he works from. But, as some of you guys know, the coverage for other utilities/companies might be split.

So, the answer to my original question: Do you live in the area that your power company covers? Is no for us.

No, thank goodness....

Patriot
02-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes I do, some of our hands live in REA territory and pay more per kilowatt. They pay me a good wage, we have above average benefits, and it's my way of being loyal to them. Wouldn't live in any other utillites territory! Besides, I know who keeps the lights on! ;-)

LostArt
02-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes I do, some of our hands live in REA territory and pay more per kilowatt.

Well as my good ole buddy Georgie just posted, "No, thank goodness". :D So, in a way, that is to our benefit since we are on the other side of that coin. We save money per billing because of it. And not as many outages either. But, somebody has to do rural, right? You know...those that live out yonder in the sticks. Heh.

However, we live closer (across the river) than most troublemen live to some of the area covered here. So, if the boss did trouble, he would be called a good bit. Now, it's only here and there or if he is really needed.

Dbearman
02-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I live in the service area of the REA I work for. I could save money on my light bill if I lived down the road a couple of miles. We are paying $ 15.75 a month for a meter and close to 12 cents a kilowatt hour. Makes for a big bill quick. Some of our guys live in the IOU area and pay a $3.75 month service charge and 8 cents a kilowatt hour. Thats a big difference when everybody lives within a few miles of each other.

LostArt
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I live in the service area of the REA I work for. I could save money on my light bill if I lived down the road a couple of miles. We are paying $ 15.75 a month for a meter and close to 12 cents a kilowatt hour. Makes for a big bill quick. Some of our guys live in the IOU area and pay a $3.75 month service charge and 8 cents a kilowatt hour. Thats a big difference when everybody lives within a few miles of each other.

Yeah, I hear ya. I started this thread because I just wondered if many had really made up their mind to live elsewhere or if it was really just the draw of the hat kinda thing. Meaning if you meant it that way or if you actually "had" to live in the area you worked for.

For the Boss, he just had to live within the district's area--mileage wise, it didn't mean you had to live in the area that you worked for. Actually, I don't think that ever came up. Heck, if anything, we wanted to live in a less property taxed county. Never even thought of the billing difference between the two electric companies. However, if we did end up with his company bills, it would be better than living in the higher property taxed county! Whew.

Interesting though. I'll ask the Boss if it bothers the company that they don't send us an electric bill. Yeah, I'm grinning. Seriously though, I didn't think of it until Patriot made his post.

nolacbd
02-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. I started this thread because I just wondered if many had really made up their mind to live elsewhere or if it was really just the draw of the hat kinda thing. Meaning if you meant it that way or if you actually "had" to live in the area you worked for.

For the Boss, he just had to live within the district's area--mileage wise, it didn't mean you had to live in the area that you worked for. Actually, I don't think that ever came up. Heck, if anything, we wanted to live in a less property taxed county. Never even thought of the billing difference between the two electric companies. However, if we did end up with his company bills, it would be better than living in the higher property taxed county! Whew.

Interesting though. I'll ask the Boss if it bothers the company that they don't send us an electric bill. Yeah, I'm grinning. Seriously though, I didn't think of it until Patriot made his post.

No it seems very hard to get outside of out service area. We cover a four state region. So every month I give a little back. The good thing is that we don't have many outages and I actually work a different area than I live in, but it is the same company. However, if I do have an outage I have the number to find out what is really going on instead of calling customer service.

LostArt
02-05-2007, 06:15 AM
However, if I do have an outage I have the number to find out what is really going on instead of calling customer service.

What? You guys don't use your nextels???? :D The boss always has to touch base with the other guys on call. And sometimes he knows he is getting a call before disbatch.

No, I'm sure the boss would like to know what is going on in our area(if we are out of power), however, he seems content to know what and where the other guys are working....since THAT is the area he works. We are only talking 4 to 5 miles here. Across the river is where it is "happenin'" anyway.

Hurricane Harry
02-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Not by choice, the housing costs are too high to be able to afford to live in our coverage area.

mrnick
02-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Now this is a neat subject Tracy.

It's pretty neat how a utilities boundary changes in a matter of miles...
How I tell that the utility has changed is by line construction details....unless if it is from leaving a REA, and entering a different REA...if that makes sense....all of you REA guys have the same line construction details, whats up with that ;)

meters and meter seals can distinguish in a away, but you have to pay more attention to line construction to see if a utility co. has changed :)

LostArt
02-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Now this is a neat subject Tracy.

It's pretty neat how a utilities boundary changes in a matter of miles...
How I tell that the utility has changed is by line construction details....unless if it is from leaving a REA, and entering a different REA...if that makes sense....all of you REA guys have the same line construction details, whats up with that ;)

meters and meter seals can distinguish in a away, but you have to pay more attention to line construction to see if a utility co. has changed :)

Now Nick, I've personally not noticed these "changes" in the lines. You will have to forgive me my ignorance. :cool: But, now that you mention it, I think the next time the Boss and I go scooter poopin', I'll have him point them out to me! :D

nolacbd
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
What? You guys don't use your nextels???? :D The boss always has to touch base with the other guys on call. And sometimes he knows he is getting a call before disbatch.

No, I'm sure the boss would like to know what is going on in our area(if we are out of power), however, he seems content to know what and where the other guys are working....since THAT is the area he works. We are only talking 4 to 5 miles here. Across the river is where it is "happenin'" anyway.

Yeah we have nextels that's how I can find out. We have different work groups for different areas. I live 20 miles from where I work and my group only covers about 5 sq mile area. Now where I live these guys cover close to 20 sq miles. Now the lead guys on the crew will get text messages on nexels telling them when feeders go out many times before the DOC calls.

doug
02-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Yes I Do Live In My Coop Service Area.not Bad At All.

thrasher
02-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes I live in the territory we serve, and to top it off at the very end of a three phase tap that stops at a lake. When there is major trouble my wife doesn't answer the phone after I leave for work. If I have to talk to her I call her cell phone. (and yes I have a generator permanately wired in.)

LostArt
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes I live in the territory we serve, and to top it off at the very end of a three phase tap that stops at a lake. When there is major trouble my wife doesn't answer the phone after I leave for work. If I have to talk to her I call her cell phone. (and yes I have a generator permanately wired in.)

The Boss is too darn cheap to get a generator Thrash! No lie! Most of our neighbors bought them back in 2004 during the hurricanes and he only shook his head and grinned at them! :D I know, "The boy ain't right!"

But, like he said...."When are you really going to get any use out of those? Maybe once or twice every other year? If you are lucky?" In a way he is right. 'Course, if we lived up north where there are snow storms, I guess we would. But, I don't think THAT will ever happen! :D

Oh, and I try not to call the boss until after 5pm. Oh, I would call him if it was an emergency, but that is not really the reason I don't call until after 5pm. I.....uh...well, I don't want to.........ummm.......bother him before then. There is what he calls dock talk. And 15 to 20 minutes before 5pm is just not the time to beep him on the phone. :D

thrasher
02-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I figured I didn't have too much choice on the generator since my wife has been wheelchair bound since June of 2000. While she can still stand and walk 10-20 feet that is about her limit. So keeping some lights working and a charger for her chair was a must.

LostArt
02-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I figured I didn't have too much choice on the generator since my wife has been wheelchair bound since June of 2000. While she can still stand and walk 10-20 feet that is about her limit. So keeping some lights working and a charger for her chair was a must.

Well, that is a must then Thrasher. I have a quadrapledgic (sp) brother. Has been wheelchair bound since 1981 at the ripe ole age of 19. He can't be too hot nor too cold. So, I understand your concern. It's very important that he has his lights on. And I must say, that he and I have classmates that work his area at a local REA. He is rarely without his lights and when he is, it's not for long. Always good to have friends in powerful places.

duckhunter
02-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I live in my co-op territory. We have better service and power quality than the IOU for about the same price.