PDA

View Full Version : Research

wifeofalineman
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey guys. Just a quick question or two. First of all let me say that I am the proud wife of a lineman. My husband is my life. I am fascinated with his profession. Anyway, I am currently in college and am in the process of writing a research paper. I wanted to choose a topic that I think is very underrated and underappreciated. I chose to write a paper on lineman. I was hoping that maybe you guys could give me your take on the profession and why you chose to be a lineman. And trust me, I already know how good the money can be. :)

duckhunter
02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I became a lineman because I got to work outside and because of the sense of accomplishment you feel when you build something and see how it effects so many people. I also like the sense of accomplishment when I have been a part of restoring power after a storm. Most of the people I work with are proud of what they do and so they work hard and don't short cut. Most of the guys I work with take pride in fixing everything on a pole while they are there for the good of the customer, as opposed to some I have worked with who saw leaving a problem as "job security."

LostArt
02-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Hello WOAL! :D Listen, it ain't cause the guys are rude, but they are an onery ole bunch of jaw chewers! Heh. But, I see Duck was sweet enough to give you a few words. ;-)

But, I wanna help you out just a bit by letting you read some of their responses here. Maybe it will give you some ideas on your research.

http://ww3.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=2256

Honestly, if you can thumb through some threads in LINEWORK, you might find alot of fincinating stuff there. Yes, alot of it is in line code. They do that kind of thing so they can still be a group of their own. Yes, I'm just joshin' with ya and pullin' some of these guys boot straps, but THAT is why I AM HERE! LOL! Heh.

Welcome to Powerlineman......where Lineman are Built Tough!

OKAY!!!! I'll stop guys!!! Hehehehehe......

wifeofalineman
02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I just want to say thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I am really looking forward to writing this paper.
Hope to hear from you guys soon!

playtime
02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I became a lineman because I was raised around linemen. My father, uncles, father-in-law, and brother-in-law all are or were linemen. It provides a great way to make a living finacially, but more than that it about pride. Most linemen will tell you that they are proud of what they do and that they do it under pressure and in adverse conditions, It keeps you in shape physicall and mentally. There is nothing like watching the lights come on after an outage and the sun come up on the way back to the shop.
Good luck on the paper.:cool:

LINETRASH
02-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Hey, girlfriend

Like Playtime I was raised into the process.

As far as insight into the trade, I guess pride prevails, but satisfaction pulls it together for me.

We do things few are willing to do.

In my youth it was a means to support myself and became a source of income not to be ignored as I became a father.

My take on linemen is the same as it was 25 years ago. We are even prouder than the Marines in that we only accept the few, the proud, and the SMART.

You can only get good at this game through experience.

The trouble, in my mind, is that few young people are willing to get their hands dirty anymore.

The irony lies in the fact that I push my kids to do well in school so that they wont have to go through what I went through, yet I could teach them a trade few could enter.

But, as I said, pride rules.

When I show up at a trouble call, I take pride in my ability to diagnose the trouble and take the steps to restore power.

I guess that it all boils down to a means to an end.

Good luck in your paper, and be advised that linemen are a unique breed .