PDA

View Full Version : Alaska linemen please help

Stormtrooper
02-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi, I am a 44 year old Journeyman who has worked for First Energy in rural Pennsylvania for 15 years. My three sons have grown up and moved out and my wife and I are ready to move on as well. My middle boy lives in Fairbanks and we have visited him a few times and really like the state and were thinking of moving there. I really am not looking to work all the hours I can as I am at the point that money and work is not all life is about. I have some questions that I hope some can help me with. I have never worked out of a Union Hall as a contractor as I have been employed by a company but have been an A member of IBEW since 1983. Is it possible to work out of a hall for 6-8 months in AK and take the rest of the year off? Do many Linemen do this? I understand I have to pass a fitness test which I am sure will be no problem, just have to hit the books some. Has work been pretty steady there? I also see some permanent jobs in Ketchikan and Juneau but am not sure if I want to be "tied" down anymore with all the callouts. Kinda trying to get away from that anymore. I know linework is linework is linework but how do you AK lineman like the work there? I guess we are going through mid life crisis and need a change. If anyone can help me out with a little input I would really appreciate it! Thanks

PA BEN
02-07-2007, 08:53 AM
;) I was up in Fairbanks about 8 years ago on vacation and at that time Alaska couldn't get enough linemen. I called the Hall in Fairbanks for info. You can look up the Halls in Alaska at www.ibew1547.org Good luck.

A Laska Lineman
02-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Linework here in Alaska is slow right now, but it always picks up in April and May around Anchorage, as the snow melts and the ground thaws. Fairbank's ground doesn't thaw out till June sometimes. Tempatures in Fairbanks are always more extreme in winter (- 35 F)and summer (+90 F)compared to Anchorage (-20 F - +75 F). There are only three seasons in Alaska- summer, winter, and can't ( can't use a boat and can't use a snow machine). To perform Linework in the State of Alaska a Certificate of Fitness (C/O/F) needs to be obtained from the Department of Labor (D/O/L). This is a $200 license, with a $50 application fee that is good for two years and renewable by just paying the fee again. The web-site to download an application is http://www.labor.state.ak.us./lss/lssforms.htm Select Certificate of Fitness, Electrical. This will get you started. For additional information and requirements contact tnealeigh@ibew1547.org and he will be glad to help. Last year there were more than a dozen standing calls in July, but most were for utilities, that pay slightly less than Outside Construction scale ($40.05). Oppurtunities were in Anchorage,Kodiak, Juneau, Valdez, Ketchikan, Cordova and Homer. Looks like another good year here

old lineman
02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi, I am a 44 year old Journeyman who has worked for First Energy in rural Pennsylvania for 15 years. My three sons have grown up and moved out and my wife and I are ready to move on as well. My middle boy lives in Fairbanks and we have visited him a few times and really like the state and were thinking of moving there. I really am not looking to work all the hours I can as I am at the point that money and work is not all life is about. I have some questions that I hope some can help me with. I have never worked out of a Union Hall as a contractor as I have been employed by a company but have been an A member of IBEW since 1983. Is it possible to work out of a hall for 6-8 months in AK and take the rest of the year off? Do many Linemen do this? I understand I have to pass a fitness test which I am sure will be no problem, just have to hit the books some. Has work been pretty steady there? I also see some permanent jobs in Ketchikan and Juneau but am not sure if I want to be "tied" down anymore with all the callouts. Kinda trying to get away from that anymore. I know linework is linework is linework but how do you AK lineman like the work there? I guess we are going through mid life crisis and need a change. If anyone can help me out with a little input I would really appreciate it! Thanks

I too bounced around when I was young but have since retired.
I can't believe my good fortune to have been smart enough to stop chasing rainbows and squeeked in 25 years before 65. Actually now that I think about it, it was my wife who was the smart one. I thought I'd just work forever and never get older, I guess.
That pension check is a saviour.
Look before you leap. I know lots of guys that didn't and once it's done it's too late.
As they say your only going this way once. Ask some of your pals what they think it might be an eye openner.
In the end ya gotta do, what ya gotta do.
The Old Lineman

A Laska Lineman
02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey Stormtrooper, just to answer more of your questions about Linework in Alaska. Construction Linemen in Alaska do it all. We work on transmission, distribution, services to houses,and substations. We operate boom trucks, bucket trucks, backhoes, excavators, dozers, snowmachines, fourwheelers, trenchers and nodwells. We work with helicopters, dynamite, concrete, and transits. We work in the cold weather, hot weather, daytime, nighttime, summertime, wintertime. I have worked in town, out of town, North Slope to Valdez, ( except Fairbanks). I have strung wire over a mountain, installed cable under water, and built O/H and U/G through a swamp. I get to see moose, eagles, whales, wolves, porcipines, sheep, bears, fox, beautiful sunrises, sunsets and the Northern Lights. I have been in the Line trade since 1983 and have never worked an hour out of state. Don't need to, don't have to, can't make me. I can get monied up and take 11 months off. Since getting into the trade I have only worked 2000 hrs once and that was when I was a hot apprentice. Not every body has been as lucky as I have.

Stormtrooper
02-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey, Thanks alot for the input, helps alot. I contacted the Hall and spoke with Tom and he was very informative. My next step is to visit my son in Fairbanks soon and take the certification test. I guess work really starts around April so I will keep working here in Pa till then, then move in with my son till I get settled and then send for the wife. Not really sure yet as to where I want to move. Any suggestions? Really don't want to be too close to any of the "big" cities. My son has talked of moving down in the south of the state. Well thats how it stands so far and I know it will be a big change but I am ready for one. I have a large family here in Pa and everyone is supporting me. We have a very small line shop here and all of my fellow lineman know I have been talking about it for a long time and I know they are glad to see me finally take the step. The more I think about it some are really glad to see me go! I guess being from a small rural line shop I have touched base with most but not all of the work you described. More then willing to always learn more. Have usually worked distribution, trouble truck and construction. We used to have 10 lineman and it was common to do 10-20 pole line builds that I really enjoyed but now we are down to 3 two man crews doing 1 or 2 pole sets as the contractors get the big jobs. I have not used the puller- tensioner in 3 years. Its just not fun going to work here anymore. Its an every day battle with the company with greivences being filed constantly. I'm sure its no picnic in Alaska but I think I am ready to come up. I love the outdoors and what better place to go to hang my hat! Thanks, Stormy