PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Aresstors

jrylineman
02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I rescently experienced what happens when an arrestor goes bad at the end of the stick, I can still hear that bellow of the ground fault and feel the heat. That isn't what scares me the most it's the fact that I see and hear of people putting these on by hand, BAD! BAD! BAD! I guess what I am saying is if you have any since at all please dont do it. If my face would have been there instead of that stick, I might be still in the hospital pealing what ever out of my skin. To all the newbys I dont care if your JRY tells you that it will be ok to do it, do not do it and get a shotgun stick.

PA BEN
02-19-2007, 09:55 AM
:confused: Did you close in a cutout with a lightning aresstor attached to it?
And why would someone close in by hand?

TRAMPLINEMAN
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm pretty sure what he's trying to say is don't attach an arrestor to an already hot circuit by hand. I've seen a few new arrestors blow when hooking them up, it's not a pretty site.

graybeard
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
I know this has been talked about alot here, but doe's anyone read the instrutions that comes with new arrestors? We've been getting Coopers and they tell you to de-energize before changing them out. They even say to grnd before changing because it may have a charge in it yet. Even if you think you know what you're doing a little reading never hurt anyone.

linemanfrog
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Shotguns and arrestors go together like peas in a pod. I had a brand new one blow up on me within seconds of installing it. Luckily I was using a shotgun at the time. Up until then I sometimes used a shotgun and sometimes tapped it up by hand like so many other linemen have done. I can tell you that since that day I only use a shotgun to energize or deenergize an arrestor. It is sad that there are many that still will tap arrestors up by hand. They fail to realize that if the arrestor is bad that they are esentially putting a dead ground on the line. I hope everyone reads this thread and learns something from it.

NJlineman55
03-04-2007, 04:56 PM
not all companies use hotline clamps. Were I work they only use ampacts connections so you are always putting them on by hand. I have brought up bringing hot clamps on the property up but like most companies change is not always welcome. Arrestors have blown up on guys in the past but this is still the way things are done. I guess someone will have to get hurt bad before anything is done.

shaun
03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
not all companies use hotline clamps. Were I work they only use ampacts connections so you are always putting them on by hand. I have brought up bringing hot clamps on the property up but like most companies change is not always welcome. Arrestors have blown up on guys in the past but this is still the way things are done. I guess someone will have to get hurt bad before anything is done.

I won't hang'em NJ. Grenades are a popular term for them thingy's.

lewy
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
in all our new installations we install the arrester on the load side of the switches. the reasons we are given is that if an arrester fails but does not clear it will kick the fuse not the breaker, easier to find. with new fuse technology the fuse will not blow when an arrester clears a momentary overvoltage, and we know that arresters do not fail ever time they see an overvoltage & the reason I like is we are always picking up the arrester with a switch stick.