PDA

View Full Version : Cool-looking Rx Safety Glasses in Canada?

michaelroyames
02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Does anyone know if there are any suppliers in Canada that sell Prescription (Rx) safely glasses that don't look like 1952 styles? I already checked out Lenscrafters, and several other opticians in Vancouver... gaaah! Poor frame selection, and even fewer plastic few plastic frames.

In searching the web, I found a couple of U.S. sites, such as http://www.safevision.net/, where you can buy decent-looking wrap-around glasses - the Wiley XL1 for example - with a prescription lens. But haven't been able to locate any company in Canada that supplies these. Prescription inserts won't do, because that is an extra two surfaces for rain and condensation to gather on - one lens only is what I prefer for the added safety of clearer vision, and the lighter weight. I don't have anything against buying from a U.S. company, but with border-crossing inspection fees, taxes and shipping, the cost really starts to add up. A Canadian supplier could be both cheaper and have a quicker turn around for shipping. Anyone know of one?

Michael Roy Ames
Powerline Technician In Training.

thrasher
02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
You will have to judge whether you like their frames or not but our company uses Titmus glasses. Their website 'titmus.com' claims they have worldwide distribution. I haven't used the website myself as we order through a local distributor in Virginia. Hope this helps.

Trampbag
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Try this site.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/shootglas.html

It's for shooting glasses, which, for all intents and purposes, are safety glasses. Many employers issue shooting glasses as safety glasses.

There is also a site there for RX glasses. I don’t understand what you think of as all the fees. There is no provincial tax on safety equipment and I never heard of a “boarder inspection fee”.

At any rate many of the products listed on this site will be available in Canada. Check out a gun store for non RX glasses and any independent optometrist for RX shooting glasses.

If you’re in Vancouver why don’t you take a 45 minute drive to Bellingham or if you’re really adventurous, 2 ½ hours to Seattle? That would solve all your problems.

wudwlkr
02-12-2007, 07:21 AM
It's for shooting glasses, which, for all intents and purposes, are safety glasses. Many employers issue shooting glasses as safety glasses.

Uh uh, no way, let's not get this confusion going again. Safety glasses, at least in the US, are only safety glasses if they are manufactured in accordance with ANSI Z85 standards. Such glasses are very easy to identify. The frames will be stamped "Z85", usually on the back of the bridge or on the inside of the wings. Also each lens will have the maker's logo etched into the top outside corner and should be plainly visible. Most so called shooting glasses do not meet ANSI strength standards and are not marked as described. If they are not marked as described above they aint legal.

Trampbag
02-17-2007, 10:44 AM
See. I don't know everything!!!

KAM
02-18-2007, 04:40 PM
All of my frames are stamped Z87.I have the Wiley X Romer II frames with prescription lenses.You can also check Rudy Project as they make cool frames with prescription lenses.I also use mine for shooting competitions.Good Luck in your search.Ken