PDA

View Full Version : Handline Becky

damn_encode
02-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi Guys,

I am wanting to make a adjustable (slider) becky for our crews handline but I am having a hard time remembering exactly what it looked like and the approx. position of the slider knot, etc. My current crew does not use one, but the company I came from had one and it worked great. Does anyone still use this style and if you do could you take a picture and post it?

Thanks

dbrown20
02-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Use a Guthook on your handline. A Becky is a waste. dbrown20

KyLineman
02-12-2007, 06:55 PM
damn_encode I sent you some pictures by your e-mail, hope it helps.

"little beaver"
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Good advice Brownie, I always have a 'becky' on the HL, but rarely use it. Got to have a Klien hook in the 'bite' of the HL as well. Guys have got away from the hook in the bite, but when we worked off the pole every day they were really handy.

damn_encode
02-13-2007, 12:15 AM

Our handline just have hooks with safety clasp, not Guthooks, just trying to use or improve what we have.

Kylineman: Thanks for taking the time to get those pictures, they helped me finish my 1st one. I think your right, it might be a little short. I will have to put it to use and possibly tie a new one if I need to adjust the length.

damn_encode
02-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Good advice Brownie, I always have a 'becky' on the HL, but rarely use it. Got to have a Klien hook in the 'bite' of the HL as well. Guys have got away from the hook in the bite, but when we worked off the pole every day they were really handy.

What is this "Hook in the bite"?

Thanks

wudwlkr
02-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree with Swampy on this. Give me a handline with a becky so I can place it wherever the heck I want.

"little beaver"
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
I agree with Swampy on this. Give me a handline with a becky so I can place it wherever the heck I want.

Com'on Boys on this one! You have to have both. I can't be bothered with the 'becky' if there is a place for the hook, like the xarm pin or the neutral clevis. A handline without a hook in the shieve and the bite is like a..............well, I won't go there!!

polehiker
02-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Swamp, I'm not a real climbing lineman anymore, but for 38 yrs I used a handline with a "becky" and can not figure how anyone would not want to use one. But then again there's a lot of shit I can't figure out any more.

dbrown20
02-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I used a becky for years. Thought they were the most practical thing until I got to an area where they didn't use them. One guy one day was using a handline with a becky and he made the remark that he hated a becky. After using a guthook for awhile, I had to agree with him. Some people are leary of a guthook because they look so vicious. I expect OSHA has outlawed them. I still see them in a catalog though. Most people use a bucket handline anymore though. Everyone has different taste in this field.

Used to work with a hand who didn't use pads at all on his hooks. He wore low top boots and pulled his pants leg up and buckled the top of his hooks around his bare skin. Said it was very comfortable. Must have worked for him as he was Korean war vintage and had been in linework since the 50's.

Another guy had his ditty bag arranged so when he put on his belt the ditty bag was right in front in his crotch area. Didn't have to twist around to dig stuff out of his bag. Kinda handy.

I didn't use a gut strap for years, just a bare belt. It was okay except when walking up and down alleys I got tired of hitching up on that belt. Finally went to a gut strap. Liked it better. I've seen some folks use those rest a back straps. Too much leather for me and sorta hot in the summer.

Ah well, a bucket is a lot better anyway isn't it? Just don't enjoy those bucket harness's though.

I strapped the bottom strap of my hooks on the outside of the leg irons for years. Finally started just fastening it direct around the ankle. Liked it better as it gave more flexibility to the ankles and didn't wear down the leg iron.

You know the difference between a lineman and a mule don't you? A lineman puts on his harness by himself. The mule is a little bit smarter though.

One thing about this work. When someone thinks there's only one way to do things he's stuck in a rut.

Worked with an older hand once who had done linework since the 20's. We were building a 345 line. He made the remark that when he first started they were building a 69 KV line down in Texas. Everyone said. "Hell, they won't never need any higher voltage than this." dbrown20