PDA

View Full Version : What has a lineman ever done?

LostArt
02-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I was curious to ask a few questions to you guys/gals that might have done some unusual things. I've personally not done that many unusual things and I'm not sure the Boss has. But, I guess I was surprised that some folks were shocked at some of the things I have done. NO, not BAD stuff!!! Just normal stuff, but to them it seemed odd that I would of done them, I suppose.

So, I'm going to ask just a few questions......

Have you been rock climbing?

Have you been parachutting?

Have you been scuba diving?

Have you been hand gliding?

Have you been spear fishing?

Put mayo on your french fries?

"little beaver"
02-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I was curious to ask a few questions to you guys/gals that might have done some unusual things. I've personally not done that many unusual things and I'm not sure the Boss has. But, I guess I was surprised that some folks were shocked at some of the things I have done. NO, not BAD stuff!!! Just normal stuff, but to them it seemed odd that I would of done them, I suppose.

So, I'm going to ask just a few questions......

Have you been rock climbing?

Have you been parachutting?

Have you been scuba diving?

Have you been hand gliding?

Have you been spear fishing?

Actually what I've done for many yrs and part of the reason that I located here 34 yrs ago was that it was the last great wilderness. I've trekked with pack horses up and down the Canadian Rockies on the west side of the Alaska HW. It is the biggest concentration of big game in North America. There is unbelievable scenery and I've had some pretty unique adventures.
However, this last Sept. I took a horse down the side of a Mountain chasing horses while working for Tuchodi River Outfitters. Although I seemed to recover at the time, I was laid up with severe back pain in Nov and Dec.'
I've had to give up on the upcoming jump(May 8th) with the Israeli Defense Force. So I guess, I going to have to take up golf or something and just enjoy the grandkids!!

LostArt
02-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Actually what I've done for many yrs and part of the reason that I located here 34 yrs ago was that it was the last great wilderness. I've trekked with pack horses up and down the Canadian Rockies on the west side of the Alaska HW. It is the biggest concentration of big game in North America. There is unbelievable scenery and I've had some pretty unique adventures.
However, this last Sept. I took a horse down the side of a Mountain chasing horses while working for Tuchodi River Outfitters. Although I seemed to recover at the time, I was laid up with severe back pain in Nov and Dec.'
I've had to give up on the upcoming jump(May 8th) with the Israeli Defense Force. So I guess, I going to have to take up golf or something and just enjoy the grandkids!!

Oh man! See? That is why I won't try snow skiing at my age. I'm afraid I'd really hurt myself and out of all the things I have done while I was young, I've never broke a bone in my body. Even to this day. But, there is always a first time, however, I don't want it now in my life! Too aggrivating! And although I have patience with the boss, I'm sure he would have ZERO with me! :D

So, you have done the other 4 listed then?

loodvig
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
No, No, Yes, No, Yes, Never. (yuk)

Yager
02-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I got 21 jumps ....United States Army 82 Airborne ...618th engineers...hooaa!!!

LostArt
02-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Loo! Ain't got out much either, huh? :D

Yager, that is an impressive score. Thanks for serviing buddy.

LostArt
02-11-2007, 11:24 AM
BTW, I added another question. And the answer is NO, for me. But, I've seen some who have! :eek: Heh.

electric squirrel
02-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Hows this??? E.S.:cool:

LostArt
02-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Hows this??? E.S.:cool:

If you are one of the rodeo clowns, I'd say that is mighty ballzy of you EC! LOL! Heh. But, me thinks you are only the rider, am I right? Hehehehe....

Sorry! But, I just had to! :D So, how many bones have you broken? Noticed I didn't say how many bulls. Heh.

LostArt
02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Okay, I seem to have some stories in me today, so I'll share one here......

I use to ride horses with some buddies of mine years ago. They were 4 and 9 yrs older than me and I always seemed to be the brunt of many jokes with those guys. I was saying I could ride anything they could ride and maybe do it better. So, one of the Baker Boys said, "Okay smarty britches, try Henrietta." I was around 15 yrs old and I thought after riding some of their horses I was experienced. Oh brother!

I talked to Henrietta some, pettied her a bit and got on. I was doing fine.......for about 3 minutes and then she started bucking! Holy cow! I think I stayed on her for what seemed like a lifetime, but I'm sure it was only a few seconds!

I flew in the air and landed face down in some blasted horse manure! So, if you ask me if I've ate shit, I'll come and track you all down!!!

electric squirrel
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Thats me on the bull.I spent about 7 years trying to make a living riding bulls fighting bulls and an occasional saddle bronc.I made some money doing it but rodeo is a HARD way to make a living!! Broke my left ankle twice in the same day, collar bone,6 ribs , L4 & L5 in my back ,C3 & C4 in my neck and in 96' I got jerked down on a bulls head and fractured my eye socket, jaw and collapes my sinus cavity.

Now I raise and breed cuttin' horses and I want to start some rodeo bulls, the town I live in is a huge rodeo town,so its a easy lifestyle to live.

This last pic is me at the Cow Palace rodeo in San Francisco ,Ca you can see the right side of my head is pretty banged up..... E.S.:cool:

LostArt
02-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Thats me on the bull.I spent about 7 years trying to make a living riding bulls fighting bulls and an occasional saddle bronc.I made some money doing it but rodeo is a HARD way to make a living!! Broke my left ankle twice in the same day, collar bone,6 ribs , L4 & L5 in my back ,C3 & C4 in my neck and in 96' I got jerked down on a bulls head and fractured my eye socket, jaw and collapes my sinus cavity.

Now I raise and breed cuttin' horses and I want to start some rodeo bulls, the town I live in is a huge rodeo town,so its a easy lifestyle to live.

This last pic is me at the Cow Palace rodeo in San Francisco ,Ca you can see the right side of my head is pretty banged up..... E.S.:cool:

Holy cow! You are a glutton for punishment ES! I did get back on a horse again. But, I did NOT ride Henrietta again!! LOL! It's really a wonder I didn't break anything. Those Baker Boys were rough on me at times, but I blame only myself. Never those two. They were some of my best times of my teenage years though. If Dad wasn't going to give me away, I'd of asked those two. No lie. That's how close the three of us was.

So you live on a horse ranch eh? No grapes for you, huh? Heh. You'd rather break some bones instead of making wine??? :D I bet it is beautiful country over younder. And my cap off to you for still doing that kind of stuff! Jeeze. I guess you had too many knocks on the head to change your mind now, eh? Impressive, nevertheless.

shaun
02-11-2007, 03:34 PM
1. Yes
2. Nope but see answer 4.
3. Regretfully, no, since I was in the Navy and the classes were dirt cheap.
4. No, but I do fly single engine airplanes alot. (and would rather fly the plane than jump..lol)
5. Never had any interest in that one.
6. no mayo pls

Some things I am into besisdes flying are, snow skiing, track days on the motorcycle, surfing, and road riding (bicycles). I know, kinda dull for some maybe but I enjoy them. Also, some guys at work got me into golf recently. Not exactly a manly sport but it's pretty fun to hang out with my pals and play a round.

"little beaver"
02-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Well ES, I'll take my chances in the air with a chute, before I'd ride bulls!! ( I rode a few broncs by accident) Our son was the BC High School Bare back and steer wrestling champ, third in the saddle bronc. A horse went over backwords with him at a Pro rodeo and broke his back. By the 'grace of God' he came out of it, but ended his Hockey career.
You rodeo guys are the real tough guys. When you get on those broncs and bulls the talk and the walk are all together.

electric squirrel
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
LB someday maybe we can get together, you drop me out of a plane and I'll tie you to 1800 pounds of sirloin!!! Then we can sip some of that fine whiskey you guys got up there! I also havent had a chance to get up to hunt elk there in BC!!My Father is up in Montana just south of Cranbrook,BC .But I cant seem to make it up there, maybe soon...E.S.:cool:

LostArt
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
1. Yes
2. Nope but see answer 4.
3. Regretfully, no, since I was in the Navy and the classes were dirt cheap.
4. No, but I do fly single engine airplanes alot. (and would rather fly the plane than jump..lol)
5. Never had any interest in that one.
6. no mayo pls

Some things I am into besisdes flying are, snow skiing, track days on the motorcycle, surfing, and road riding (bicycles). I know, kinda dull for some maybe but I enjoy them. Also, some guys at work got me into golf recently. Not exactly a manly sport but it's pretty fun to hang out with my pals and play a round.

I'm chuckling about Golf not being a "manly sport". What is it with you hardnosed guys??! Heh. I think now it's just become more of a retirement past time. Or atleast it is here in Florida! :D

I've never tried surfing. Just seems like the waves aren't big enough here. Although there are some big ones during hurricanes, you won't find me out there. No, not only during hurricanes but at ANYTIME! Jaws ruined me to salt water back in the '70's!

Jumping out of airplanes..............uh...no. Not for me either. However, I have always wanted to go up in an hotair baloon.

BigClive
02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey! Less slagging of the mayo on fries. In Holland that's how they eat them all the time. You get your fries and then choose a flavoured mayo for the top. They sell huge tube of the stuff called frittesauce or something like that.

I do mayo and fries quite often myself.

"Chips" and mayonnaise here in the UK.

Other exciting varieties of fries and accompaniments here are:-

Chips and curry sauce.
Chips and gravy.
Chips and cheese. (yum!)

LostArt
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey! Less slagging of the mayo on fries. In Holland that's how they eat them all the time. You get your fries and then choose a flavoured mayo for the top. They sell huge tube of the stuff called frittesauce or something like that.

I do mayo and fries quite often myself.

"Chips" and mayonnaise here in the UK.

Other exciting varieties of fries and accompaniments here are:-

Chips and curry sauce.
Chips and gravy.
Chips and cheese. (yum!)

**tries to keep from barfing** Leave it to you Clive to make us all leery of trying that!!! I'm brave, but I ain't THAT brave!!! Jeeze, you beat all Clive! :D

"little beaver"
02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
LB someday maybe we can get together, you drop me out of a plane and I'll tie you to 1800 pounds of sirloin!!! Then we can sip some of that fine whiskey you guys got up there! I also havent had a chance to get up to hunt elk there in BC!!My Father is up in Montana just south of Cranbrook,BC .But I cant seem to make it up there, maybe soon...E.S.:cool:

Well ES, now that you mention ELK hunting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was 'working' at Tuchodi River Outfitters this fall taking out Elk and Moose hunts. This outfit is about 50 miles west of FT Nelson on the Alaska HW. It takes 2 1/2 days to run the horses in from Steamboat Mt.
My buddy went in ahead of me to the base camp/horse ranch. The hunters were flying in the next day to the Muskwa. He and an Indian guide left with 2 saddles horses and a pack horse to meet them. They rode 14hrs the first day!! They met the hunters and then rode 10 hrs the second day to the 'Jim River'. Gives you some idea how big the country is up here. This is over very rough country and rivers that you have to swim the horses across. Anybody out there that thinks they're tough and fit, try a trip like that.
Anywaythey flew me in(what a baby) caught up with the hunt. We had two brothers from Illinois...........very nice guys. One got a B&C Moose and the other a 6pt Elk. They tipped us $2000. US (Americans are preferred as they tip more generously than Euros).

"little beaver"
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I got 21 jumps ....United States Army 82 Airborne ...618th engineers...hooaa!!!

Hey Yag, there is a real cool jump coming up in May with the Israeli Defense Force. It's expensive about $2800. plus travel and Insurance. Two jumps and you get your IDF jump wings.
I'm pretty well done as I had a 'bad one' on the second jump on the remembrance day thing and I'm going to be 60 in a few months. Still it takes all I got to not go.............but I've promised the wife!!

BTW: You looked like the type in your pic!!

Outlaw Lineman
02-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I flew in the air and landed face down in some blasted horse manure! So, if you ask me if I've ate shit, I'll come and track you all down!!!

Well.....Have you ever ate SHIT?!?!! HA HA!! How you doing LA nice to see your sence of humor!

LostArt
02-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Well.....Have you ever ate SHIT?!?!! HA HA!! How you doing LA nice to see your sence of humor!

Why you little scamp! Dadd blasted rogue! That's what you are!! Oh???? You don't think I can't track down a young scoundrel like you???? I have your number and your whereabouts buddy!!! Leave it to an outlaw to shove it in my face!

Heh. I'm fine Case. And I sincerely hope I never lose my humor. If I do, I'm sure you all here will help me find it! LOL!

Dave@PSE&G
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh man! See? That is why I won't try snow skiing at my age. I'm afraid I'd really hurt myself and out of all the things I have done while I was young, I've never broke a bone in my body. Even to this day. But, there is always a first time, however, I don't want it now in my life! Too aggrivating! And although I have patience with the boss, I'm sure he would have ZERO with me! :D

So, you have done the other 4 listed then?

Skiing is not a normal activity. Strapping 2 waxed pieces of wood* to your feet and sliding down an icy hill is a recipe for diaster!! Sonny Bono. Need I say more?
*= Or fiberglass

LostArt
02-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Skiing is not a normal activity. Strapping 2 waxed pieces of wood* to your feet and sliding down an icy hill is a recipe for diaster!! Sonny Bono. Need I say more?
*= Or fiberglass

Well, I have water skiied most of my life. I learned before I was in my teens. I could slalom (sp) (meaning one ski) in my early teens and even barefooted ONCE. Once was enough. I landed on my face (what is it about my face????????????????) and my eyelashes felt like they went into my eyes! Horrible experience. I went about 50 yrds or so and never tried that again!

But, I hear snow skiing is different. However, I'm with you guys, I might be pressin' my luck! LOL! Kinda sounds like I'm a klutz, doesn't it? Heh.

RWD
02-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Rode the rodeo a few times .... Cheek bone replaced .... Damn Barebacks

Played wrangler for a while in the rockies around Silverton/Teluride

I can Call Gene Schafer my friend ( another story) Stomp you hiding out there?

Scuba diver from Wayyyyy back. Love it but no time for it.

Worked 13 countries and a few women

Hauled folks out of Canyonlands with Gene for fun ... and beer

Was at one time the youngest comercialy licensed Artificial inseminator in the USA .... Probably still hold the record ... 13

Assisted in the developement of non-surgical embrio transplants .... In cattle.

shared Glen levit with an astronaut (in canyonlands) who wrote Gene from Space thanking him for the Scotch!

Yep done ate shit once or twice but I've spread some too .... (Cow shit that is ... ok maybe horse shit too)

Done that White water thing and some sailing too

Got drunk with folks from more countries than I can count and many times in thier country.

La close your eyes or skip the next one.

I eat P****y when available .... on demand! (nice kitty)

Snow ski

Water ski

Snow mobile

Snow plow

Only electricity shocks me now days

Been happly married for over 15 years! Now thats an accomplishment! I'm not so sure she's happy though. :(

I could think of some real winners but ..... it's my night to cook.

Guys and gals ... I leave for Miami on the 18th and Sudan on the 21st

RWD

LostArt
02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Holy cow patties RWD! You put in more than was even ASKED! Some of us might even be stunned on what you actually posted!! *cough* *ahem*

Oh, and you best better have the nicest Valentine's gift ever buddy! Or you are gonna be in hotter water and deeper cow patties than you want to be! :D

Seems like you just got back and here you are off again. Well, let us know how it goes. You know we will read all about it.

Take care and remember something special for Valentine's Day!!!

Outlaw Lineman
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't have anything exciting. Rode some bareback horses when I was younger and heald faster. Also me and some buddies used to catch hogs at night, that could get interesting. Oh yeah LA, I ate some shit in the bareback riding days.

LostArt
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Also me and some buddies used to catch hogs at night, that could get interesting.

HA! Me and my brothers rode pigs! No lie! Mama would get so mad at daddy!!! :D Once, my little baby brother got on one pig and it took off and went under the John Deer tractor. His head hit that tractor and he dropped right there!! My and my other brother laughed so hard! We kept saying he looked like he could be on the Bugs Bunny Show. It was THAT funny! Actually, it is a wonder he didn't get seriously hurt. But, Daddy was always right about him..............he was hardheaded! :D

Oh yeah LA, I ate some shit in the bareback riding days.

LOL! Well, as you have seen through some of my posts, I pretty much played in it! Heck, my brothers and I had to go get cow patties from the field and haul them to the house so mom could put them in her flowerbeds! :D

Heh. I know my SHIT! LMAO!

Outlaw Lineman
02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Me and my brothers rode pigs! No lie! Mama would get so mad at daddy!!! :D Once, my little baby brother got on one pig and it took off and went under the John Deer tractor. His head hit that tractor and he dropped right there!! My and my other brother laughed so hard! We kept saying he looked like he could be on the Bugs Bunny Show. It was THAT funny! Actually, it is a wonder he didn't get seriously hurt. But, Daddy was always right about him..............he was hardheaded! :D

Heck LA we used ta catch wild hog just for fun. But we never rode them I ain't that crazy.....

LostArt
02-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Heck LA we used ta catch wild hog just for fun. But we never rode them I ain't that crazy.....

LOL! Well, we call catchin' "wild" hogs crazy. But, shootin'em and eat'em is okay! :D

graybeard
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Tried riding hogs when we were kids when the folks built a new house next to a pasture. Used to sit up in the tree and try to jump on them when they walked under the tree. Ride a 2 wheel hog now.
Got locked in a submarine for 93 days with only 2 movies to watch.
Still running into burning buildings that other people are running out of.

woody
02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey grey...THANK-YOU for doing that!!! Jumped out of airplanes and JETS... for COUNTRY and fun. Leaped off of mountains with wings and without(parachute)...and once without the other. Climbed high and low without bragging about it(once)...anyways...theres always better stories than mine HERE. woody

graybeard
02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Are we what they call type As. The only bad part is people think you make too much money untill a storm comes through and then they wouldn't have your job for anything.

LostArt
02-19-2007, 10:48 AM
... people think you make too much money untill a storm comes through and then they wouldn't have your job for anything.

How true!!

I over heard a lady at the counter of a hotel desk. It was during the hurricanes of 2004, and she was whinning about how the power trucks kept passing by her house and yet she still didn't have electricity. When Hurricane Frances went through none of us had power for 4 to 5 days.

She went on and on. About how her other neighbors had their power and yet she still didn't have hers. I had finally had enough, "'Ma'am when you left your house were they still driving by your house?" She huffed and said yes. I said, "Well chances are they are still working on it. I've not seen the first power truck yet and that is why I am here. My husband asked that I get a hotel room tonight so he could have a shower. He has worked since the night the storm came in. Did you know there are certain areas they have to work to get down the line to your house? There are many trees down, chances are they are cleaning it up, so they can get to the next area. I understand your frustration, but I also know how hard they all are working. First of all, they gave power to the hotels and restruants so you and I could have a place to go. There are many linemen working different areas, so they have to work together and safely. You can't turn on power to one area, if another power crew is working in that area." I finally paused and looked around. I had more company in this conversation than I did at the beginning. "Anyway, it requires a little bit of patience on all of us. But, I understand your frustration, but I have also seen first hand what a hurricane can do, and we have been very fortunate in this area." She huffed and puffed again, but at least she wasn't as belligerent. When I finally reached the desk, the clerk smiled and said, "So, is your husband a powerlineman?" I laughed and said, "Yes. I guess that was pretty obvious, huh?" She grinned.

I got that room, and when the boss came in I told him about what I said. He didn't say much, only nodded. Afew minutes later, we had the call that we had lights at home. He says, "Let's go home dear." I shook my head, "No. Not until you get your shower." That is when he laughed and said, "Well, this is the most expensive shower I have ever had." Heh.

woody
02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey great story L.A. lots of truth to our trade right there... no doubt about it. I can't even begin to remember how many times i've been on storms... that some or if not all members on the crew were affected. Their own families were without power... yet they did their job as always... with little or no complaint. As i've gotten older or longer in the tooth... this always surprises me and also doesn't if you know what I mean... which I know you do. Type A... well maybe... only without the yelling. Love danger and adventure... BUT never to somebody else's expense. Did most if not all the dangerous stuff before getting in the trade. Mostly worry about mearging into traffic correctly or negotating the stairs...and where in the hell is the nearest porta-potty. woody

LostArt
02-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Did most if not all the dangerous stuff before getting in the trade. Mostly worry about mearging into traffic correctly or negotating the stairs...and where in the hell is the nearest porta-potty. woody

LOL! I'm with you on that! :D

Hey Woody. Well, before the Hurricanes of '04, I'd only seen what devestation a hurricane could do and then it was many miles off. Like Hugo in '89 and Andrew (was it '92/93? I keep forgetting) when the boss worked them. Those were very long stays for him. So, when the the Hurricanes of '04 hit, especially Frances and Jeanne, I'd not had power outages that long, at least not as an adult.

But, I remember the boss coming in one night telling me about how our hometown REA(we had been on that power for over 22 yrs!!) came to help in Gainesville area. Many of those guys, we not only went to school with, but had worked for Suwannee Valley Elect. most of their lives. They had my husband, an ole former rat contractor lineman/supv., being their birddog. Heh.

I ran into a few of those guys a few months later and they said how good it was to see him and to actually work with him. But, the most surprising thing to them wasn't working with my husband but, that we actually moved away from our hometown! LOL! "Tracy, I can't believe you and (the boss) moved away from our hometown. Out of all the people from back home, I never figured you two to ever leave Dead Oak(that's what we all called it growing up----Live Oak)." I laughed and said, "Hey, we are the same and what is 50 miles the way a crow flies anyway?"

I'm with you though, I did all the crazy stuff when I was young....with the exception of a few things here and there.:cool: