PDA

View Full Version : ice storm

scammy
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM
ice storm coming,,the biggest yet this year,,we are readdy..ice is a perfect insulator,covered in snow its like a viper waiting for you .its going to be a very rough week,stocked up on wood for the family and food ,,got some sardines and tuna and jerky for my crew ,,,,,,,at this point ,,you cant punish me anymore,those of you who believe ,,please pray for dayton power and light crews,,,,,,,its been a long hard ride so far,,,scammy

safetygeek
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
It sounds like you already have a good plan started if the storm hits. Work safe, ground (EPZ) at your worksite. Nobodys going to remove your grounds if they are right next to you, and if your guys are in an EP-Zone they will never know if someone tried to heat up the line! The power of prayer is phenomenal....

mrnick
02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Scammy,
it's gonna get really bad here outside of DC half inch of ice or more! and with a potential noreaster forming in NC, it could be worse...I wouldnt be suprised if I got to meet some fellow members here on the boards if we get hit really bad!! Stay safe out there fellas!

scammy
02-13-2007, 08:57 PM
in from round one,,nothing happend,,just 8 inches of snow ,,sleep for 8 now ,,but its starting to ice,,,,,remember Ice is a perfect insulator,wire on the ground is hot,,cut no corners ,,ground off,,thanks for your reminders ,,,,be carfull of falling branches ,,especially at night,,heads up ,,,,,,,,,keep your apes behind you,,,,scammy

loodvig
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Northeast Mass. is getting hammered with ice, snow and rain. All at once! I've got 9" plus in my driveway. 18 degrees and windy.

scammy
02-14-2007, 06:46 PM
but loodvig,,,,,you fish heads up there deserve it ,,,,,,what did I do,?besides if it was 18 degrees here we would be taking our cloth off....scammy

old lineman
02-14-2007, 08:08 PM
but loodvig,,,,,you fish heads up there deserve it ,,,,,,what did I do,?besides if it was 18 degrees here we would be taking our cloth off....scammy

I always thought that somebody with a generator was one of the biggest hazards in a storm clean up. Countless linemen have been electrocuted by back-fed transformers.
Pull the secondary leads if in doubt.
I think BC Hydro (and many others) has a good policy. Remove the line side tap, remove the cutout door and tag the pole at eye level.
Can't go wrong with an extra safety step.
Good luck guys and get adequate rest.
The Old Lineman

scammy
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
old lineman you are right,,,,,,thanks ,,and thankyou lost art ,,we have been real lucky ,,,no one hurt,,but buy now I thought I would gotton under loodvigs skin,,,,,,I was born in everret mass,,and a commercial fisherman before linework ,,,,love ya all scammy

LostArt
02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
old lineman you are right,,,,,,thanks ,,and thankyou lost art ,,we have been real lucky ,,,no one hurt,,but buy now I thought I would gotton under loodvigs skin,,,,,,I was born in everret mass,,and a commercial fisherman before linework ,,,,love ya all scammy

That is good news Scammy. You get your rest and "have at it" again buddy.

42linehand
02-15-2007, 05:43 AM
After all that hype about the storm hitting the Northeast I cant believe that we only had minimal power outages. Outages in CT stayed under 2000 across the state. I guess all of this updating that we have been doing the Distribution Circuits is paying off. Didnt even get a phone call to go out. I hope that all that went out came home safely.

loodvig
02-15-2007, 09:57 AM

Nope, you didn't bother me at all.

scammy
02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
storms over ,everyone is back on ,,nobody hurt ,what more could you ask for ,,,,,,,,,thanks scammy