PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles anyone?

jimmyjames
02-18-2007, 09:46 PM
I gave up a career as a Harley Davidson tech to become an apprentice. I'm loving the work but missing the bikes.
I've herd this trade is full of motorcyclists. Anyone ride? What make or model? Any pictures?
I have an '81 FLH Heritage, just sold my custom iron top sporty to tool up and get started as an apprentice. I've also got a few Jap bikes as well as a collection of vintage Honda mini bikes. :)

*posted some pics of my sporty on page 3*

Koga
02-19-2007, 07:28 AM
is a picture of my caddy.

Koga

LostArt
02-19-2007, 11:12 AM
is a picture of my caddy.

Koga

And here it is............

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/LostArt99/KogaCaddy4.jpg

Bigheadnc
02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
I used to ride. Veterans MC. NC

Koga
02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Thank you ,

Koga

LostArt
02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Thank you ,

Koga

You are welcome. It's funny, for half the time I can't remember anything, especially trivia stuff.... and then something like this I can remember where I saw it! Go figure!

BTW, it was in Swamp's "Show your best pictures" thread. :D

jimmyjames
02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Nice bike Koga. What is that a '90 '91 FLHTC, any performance mods other than the S&S carb and exhaust. Where did you get the sweet light kit from? Those big glides sure do ride nice, don't they.

Koga
02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Yep a few besides the S&S , the Vance and Hines exhaust, an Evo2 cam and Riviera tappered light pushrods.
The 59 Caddy tail lights were added after one of the young bucks at work rode it and made mention of the ride. I started thinking about it and found something similar on a web sight.But they wanted way too much cash for em. So after doin some diggin I put these together. Cost was about an eighth of what they sold for on the web sight.Took all the intercom and CB crap off along with the old amp and factory AM FM tape deck. Plus about 20lbs of copper wire that aint needed.(don't know why HD always puts about 5 miles more than ya need) Added my own stereo up grade and speakers.And thats about it.Except for the oil cooler. Rides like a ........ Caddy

Koga:cool:

jimmyjames
02-24-2007, 02:18 PM
There must be a couple more of you that ride.
Anyone?: Cruisers, choppers, customs, vintage, crotch rockets, cafe racers, scooters, touring, japs, brits, trials, trail, dirt, Sx, Mx, road race, dirt track, ice track, drags
Anyone else ride?

Thanks Koga, you've got a beauty. Nice job on the lights, they fit the bike perfect!

graybeard
02-24-2007, 04:14 PM
OK
Got a 02 heritage classic in blue and silver. Its setup so I can strip it to just a solo seat. When I do that people tell me what a nice FAT BOY I have. I'll have to work on some pics.

jimmyjames
02-24-2007, 07:32 PM
I'll work on some pics. I don't know quite how to post them, kind of computer illitirate. can anyone give me some tips?

jimmyjames
02-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Swamp, that's a BAD bike, why'd you get rid of such a sweet machine? I've never had the pleasure to ride one, but I've been told that six cylider has gobbs of power. What displacment is that engine? Being a V6 it must have tourqe that pulls for days, huh? What are thinking of getting, another cruiser?

jimmyjames
02-25-2007, 01:54 AM
I've riden a few customs with Ultima power trains and the HP and torqe is unreal, probably a diffrent kind of power than that V6. I haven't heard much about the longevity of the engine. The nice thing about any engine designed like harley engines, is that they are easy to work on out of your own garage. Anyone that has any machanical ability can dig in confidence.
I'm a chain guy myself, but belt drives have there pirks. I like chains because they can be subjected to tons of abuse without fear of breaking. Also they're a snap to replace. On the other hand the new belts are rated to 170 ftlbs ftlbs of torque, which is more than enough. Also a belt drive is low maintainance, cleaner(no lube being slung around), quiter, and alot safer if it breaks. The big down side is the cost to replace them, being the intire primary system needs to be removed. In the shop that was a $600 job.
If a chain is what you want I'm sure there's a kit, if not all that custom stuff is based around HD, and with some research you could put one together yourself.

jimmyjames
02-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Swamprat, I was looking at the pics of the Black Cloud and may have misunderstood you. Were you talking about he drive belt or the primary chain. If you were talking about the primary, chain would be the way to go. With a beltdrive you have the first issue you mentioned, getting your leg ripped off by the belt. Another problem is those belts tend to break more often than a chain does. The thing I like like least is with a dry clutch they engage and disengage really abruptly, which takes the smooth ride away. Going chain eliminates all these problems. The hardest part would be finding an inner and outer primary to house the chain since it need to run in oil. But again all that stuff is based after HD so it all innerchanges.

Sorry If I've run off on a tangent, and filled the conversation with a ton of bullshit. I just love this shit, I'm kind of going through withdrawls.

jimmyjames
02-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Sounds like you've got some hard miles under your belt, just pointing her down the road and givin her hell. That's what I like to hear, can't say I've ever been on a pull like that. Riding in the snow that's anoher story, that's bad ass and few have the balls to pull it off. I hope you get another bike, keep me posted.

jimmyjames
03-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Here's some pictures of my '81 sporty. I ended up selling this to buy my line tools. Chasis and engine are an '81 1000 iron top and the rest are parts and pieces from other HD's with a few handmade parts.

jimmyjames
03-08-2007, 12:35 AM
What type of bike did you ride with the Veterans MC club? Do you still ride?

jimmyjames
03-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Anyone seen West Coast Choppers newest creation "Radial Hell"? The things got a 7 cylinder radial aircraft engine in it. This things awsome!

PA BEN
03-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Just watched it yesterday. Great movie:D Anyone know who and what movie the old biker played in? It relates to being a biker;)

LostArt
03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Gee....you guys are OLD!

http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/funny001.gif

PA BEN
03-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Found this on the web. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064276/