PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stick ?

PA BEN
02-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I read a lot about rubber gloving on this site. I work in a hot stick state. We can only glove up to 5kv phase to phase. I have gloved 2400/4160kv. Our system here is 7.2kv/12.4kv. Do you glove guys use hot sticks much? And what voltages do you glove?

linemanfrog
02-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Our system is 7.2/12.4 and we glove it. I have gloved up to 14.4/25.5 during storm work and contracting. There are companies where they glove 35kv phase to phase. I cannot speak for all but the only hotsticks we use on a routine basis is switch sticks and shotgun sticks (clamp all). On our rear lot lines we have used insulated platforms (baker board/diveing boards) to work stuff energized where it was deemed needed. In years past we had AB Chance come and teach a group to stick our 138 and 230 transmission voltages. Since our transmission is a double circuit system in loop around our territory we usually are able to isolate just about any of it if we need to work on it now. So we really do not perform any sticking.

I have always thought sticking to be pretty interesting and would like to learn more about it. Some of our oldtimers have done stick work but us younger generations have not done much if any of it.

LostArt
02-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I have always thought sticking to be pretty interesting and would like to learn more about it. Some of our oldtimers have done stick work but us younger generations have not done much if any of it.

Frog, you do overhead at times? So you do both then? I figured you were mostly underground. Interesting though. I think CE does both also. I know an old contractor lineman that had a special crew that did the UG stuff for them. However, the boss has done some, not alot though.

otpig2
02-24-2007, 05:56 PM
we rubber glove 7,200/12,470 and 14.4/24.9
we use the same class 3 on both
we don't do any sticking
but learn a little from older jl when i first started
Like putting on armor rod and tieing in with sticks
we just use switch stick and shotgun (clamp stick)
not much call for sticking around here since we glove everything

Orgnizdlbr
02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
We Glove 12.4 and stick 19.9/34.5 and above.

shaun
02-24-2007, 06:43 PM
We don't hot stick. Glove 7.6 kv/13.2 kv. It's only a matter of time that 4kv circuits (the few that are still left) are bumped up to 13 and soon we'll be gloving 26 or more. Sub-Trans circuits (26kv+) are out when we work 'em.

leiching
02-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Hot Sticked for 6 years in Seattle. Now back on the east coast CT we rubber glove up to 27kv with Class 2 gloves.

loadbreak55
02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Speaking from experience,I can honestly say that "hotsticking"is the reason that bucketts were invented!We glove 7.2kv&7620kv,but have on occasion,gloved 34.5kv.And I'm here to tell you that gloving is by far the best way to work distribution,hands down!While hotsticking is a noble and perhaps dieing art,it's good to learn.if for no other reason than to get a feel for what the good,hard working linemen before us had to go thru. Stay Safe :)

linemanfrog
02-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Frog, you do overhead at times? So you do both then? I figured you were mostly underground. Interesting though. I think CE does both also. I know an old contractor lineman that had a special crew that did the UG stuff for them. However, the boss has done some, not alot though.

LA I mostly do overhead. I work on the older side of Gville and it is mostly overhead. We glove our energized lines and very very seldom use sticks. What I meant was that since FL has allowed gloving for quite sometime now, there are very few people left who grew up doing stick work. Our company wants us to be a "jack of all trades and master of none" so we work overhead and underground. Everything from street lights to transmission.

WAlinehand1970
02-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Hot Sticked for 6 years in Seattle. Now back on the east coast CT we rubber glove up to 27kv with Class 2 gloves.

I am just a dumb-ass hot apprentice, but arent class 2 gloves tested to 20,000, for use on 16,000 and less? I am from a hot stick state, so when it comes to gloving more than 5kv, I am clueless.
So, if you HAVE to work it off the pole, you all hang Baker Boards?

LostArt
02-25-2007, 02:57 AM
LA I mostly do overhead. I work on the older side of Gville and it is mostly overhead. We glove our energized lines and very very seldom use sticks. What I meant was that since FL has allowed gloving for quite sometime now, there are very few people left who grew up doing stick work. Our company wants us to be a "jack of all trades and master of none" so we work overhead and underground. Everything from street lights to transmission.

Gotcha. I actually got to watch hotsticking a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it was a trouble call. The boss wanted me to see the lineman work. Not that I know anything, mind you, I don't. But, the boss has more years of gloving than sticking also.

leiching
02-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I am just a dumb-ass hot apprentice, but arent class 2 gloves tested to 20,000, for use on 16,000 and less? I am from a hot stick state, so when it comes to gloving more than 5kv, I am clueless.
So, if you HAVE to work it off the pole, you all hang Baker Boards?

The voltage is 14,820 phase to ground. We don't work off baker boards it is either dead or we hot stick. Don't grab two phases at once.

PA BEN
02-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Speaking from experience,I can honestly say that "hotsticking"is the reason that bucketts were invented!We glove 7.2kv&7620kv,but have on occasion,gloved 34.5kv.And I'm here to tell you that gloving is by far the best way to work distribution,hands down!While hotsticking is a noble and perhaps dieing art,it's good to learn.if for no other reason than to get a feel for what the good,hard working linemen before us had to go thru. Stay Safe :) When I was a young buck most of the Hot sticking I did was from a pole. I do still climb but use a bucket most of the time now. Eather way it's working position, working position, working position.:D

WAlinehand1970
02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
The voltage is 14,820 phase to ground. We don't work off baker boards it is either dead or we hot stick. Don't grab two phases at once.

That makes more sense. Sorry I called you out on it.
I just think I would rather have that big fire at the end of a 6 or 8 ft. stick. I would put money on my pole partner and I cutting in a double dead-end, against a couple of "glovers" anytime. I think we could hold our own.

But, its only cuz my pole partner is that good, I just ride around in his bolt bag!

dbrown20
02-25-2007, 12:07 PM
By and large gloving is faster than hot sticking. It is also simpler to teach gloving. These aspects are far more attractive to management. Therefore gloving will eventually take over. Right?

Hot sticking is much safer than gloving. Common sense tells us that. Now management is strictly for safety. Right? Therefore eventually everyone will hot stick. Kinda like a multiple choice question. Right?

Who are we kidding?

I have seen fires that give folks with gloves on a right smart sun tan and sometimes even a trip to the hospital.

I have seen fires with sticks that only cause a chuckle and maybe a little talk for a few days.

If you had a fire about 2 feet from your face and one about 6 or 7 feet away, which would you choose?

The debate will probably continue for quite some time. I spent about 14 years doing stick work and about 22 years doing glove work. I would much rather do stick work. As some guy several years ago posted on here. "Hell, hotsticking is fun." I agree. dbrown20

old lineman
02-25-2007, 02:32 PM

That's not right!
The limit for class 2 is 20,000 volts not 27,000. You should be using class 3 which takes you up to 30kv.
The Old Lineman

racinsprintz10
02-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I am originally from a gloving local and only truly got to stick once during my apprenticeship (outside of using shotgun and switch stick). I hit the road as soon as I topped out to learn more. In California, we stuck most tangant poles in the backyard and simple dead-ends. Everything there is clamp top insulators, however, so true tieing is going to be a lost art many places across the country. Still wanting to sharpen my skills, I came to Washington state and am just waiting to get off the books (I'm sick of my dad giving me shit for not knowing how to truly stick). If guys dont want to learn how to stick, I would say most will never have to if they dont want.

PA BEN
02-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I am originally from a gloving local and only truly got to stick once during my apprenticeship (outside of using shotgun and switch stick). I hit the road as soon as I topped out to learn more. In California, we stuck most tangant poles in the backyard and simple dead-ends. Everything there is clamp top insulators, however, so true tieing is going to be a lost art many places across the country. Still wanting to sharpen my skills, I came to Washington state and am just waiting to get off the books (I'm sick of my dad giving me shit for not knowing how to truly stick). If guys dont want to learn how to stick, I would say most will never have to if they dont want.Avista has a very good 2 week hot stick school. It's for second year apprentices. But hey if you got the money thay might let you in. The school is in Spokane. Good luck!

racinsprintz10
02-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

WAlinehand1970
02-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Avista has a very good 2 week hot stick school. It's for second year apprentices. But hey if you got the money thay might let you in. The school is in Spokane. Good luck!

You can also go to Camp Rilea, The JATC camp in Warrenton, OR. If you are a dues paying union member, they have to let you come down. It will cost right around 300 bucks for a ten day session, but its worth it for a guy to learn the basics. Especially at 120/208, rather than 7.2/12.5. Camp sessions are going on RIGHT NOW. If your not working????

racinsprintz10
02-26-2007, 02:50 AM
thanks again, not sure if you know Travis at Rilea but he was my pole partner for a few months.

WAlinehand1970
02-26-2007, 11:19 PM
thanks again, not sure if you know Travis at Rilea but he was my pole partner for a few months.

Don't really know Travis, he started teaching the year after I went thru 1st year camp. Heard is a good hand. I went thru when Rob Peert was the instructor & Paul Dobbins was his assistant. Also got to do 2nd year with Gus ( the legend ) Mc Cleary & Bill Pallus. Harvey Haven (the grounding guru)used to do 3rd year, Mike Fitzpatrick does an excellent job of it now. We have an excellent training program up here in the NW.