PDA

View Full Version : Construction vs. Utility

jimmyjames
02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Some guys like construction some guys like utilities, could you guys give me your take. Why or what do you like or dislike about one or the other? I hear pro's and cons's about both sides, what do you guys think, construction or utility? Just a 2nd step looking for some insight.

Trampbag
02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
You can't be a journeyman lineman till you’ve worked both.

Trampbag
02-25-2007, 01:02 PM
The job is similar but not the same.

As a utility lineman you can work O/H distribution and transmission as well as U/G. Your job with the utility, though, is to keep the lights on. For example you may just have started a job getting everything laid out when you get called away to plug in a cutout or change a transformer ½ hour away. The smaller the area crew is the more likely it is that you will be interrupted to service customer needs.

As a contractor lineman it is a lot less likely that you will be interrupted. Generally you work the task to completion then move on to another task, although utilities are using more contractors to do the everyday tasks as the utility carries less staff personnel. Contractor linemen historically didn’t do system switching although that is starting to change as well.

Because the “attitude” of the linemen has to change when working utility or contractor I believe that spending 3 to 5 years in each type of work after topping out really finishes of a journeyman. It certainly helps one to understand what the scope of the work a Journeyman Lineman demands. How can anyone make a decision on what type of work one wants to do unless they actually experience a wide cross section of the work?

I’m also talking about hands on real linework, not they glad hand politician types who immediately head for supervision upon topping out. They may carry a linemans ticket but they ain’t journeymen in any sense of the term. We all know them.

dbrown20
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
I don't know who or where you are from and I hate to lay Kudos on a person, but I believe ever post you have made is right on. Ever opinion etc. that you post tells me that you know what you're talking about.

Hope you keep contributing to this web. I enjoy your posts. dbrown20

LostArt
02-26-2007, 06:30 PM
You can't be a journeyman lineman till you’ve worked both.

I've been following this thread and I was interested in it due to the Boss....naturally. And out of curiosity, how long have you worked in these two "similar yet different jobs"? How long in utility and construction?

Trampbag
02-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Pretty close to half and half, a little heavier contractor because I like the freedom of being able to get up and move easily. I’ve worked for municipal, State/Provincial, and private/investor owned utilities and for two truck to national/international contractors. I have also worked for mine and oil company owned systems, both company and contractor.

Started in 1970. I haven’t seen it all yet, hope to finish my apprenticeship soon. Then I can really start to learn.

Trampbag
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Actually I’m not being cheeky. I really believe I have been on a 30 plus year apprenticeship and it’s been fun. I really enjoy learning particularly from most of the young in the trade (some are just hard to take). The trade is changing and it is hard to keep up. I wish, at times, I had the energy I had 15 years ago.

"little beaver"
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
The job is similar but not the same.

As a utility lineman you can work O/H distribution and transmission as well as U/G. Your job with the utility, though, is to keep the lights on. For example you may just have started a job getting everything laid out when you get called away to plug in a cutout or change a transformer ½ hour away. The smaller the area crew is the more likely it is that you will be interrupted to service customer needs.

As a contractor lineman it is a lot less likely that you will be interrupted. Generally you work the task to completion then move on to another task, although utilities are using more contractors to do the everyday tasks as the utility carries less staff personnel. Contractor linemen historically didn’t do system switching although that is starting to change as well.

Because the “attitude” of the linemen has to change when working utility or contractor I believe that spending 3 to 5 years in each type of work after topping out really finishes of a journeyman. It certainly helps one to understand what the scope of the work a Journeyman Lineman demands. How can anyone make a decision on what type of work one wants to do unless they actually experience a wide cross section of the work?

I’m also talking about hands on real linework, not they glad hand politician types who immediately head for supervision upon topping out. They may carry a linemans ticket but they ain’t journeymen in any sense of the term. We all know them.

You have to have worked both sides of it. You've never worked in the REAL world of linework until you've been with the contractors on the Construction side.
I did my first 7 yrs on the Construction side both transmission and distribution. 4 of those was with an outfit, FA Tucker Inc., who worked in both the US and Canada. If Old Lineman sees this he could tell all about working for Tucker. Newfies, Maritimers, New Englanders and French Canadians; it was a 'unigue' experience!

BigClive
02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Actually I’m not being cheeky. I really believe I have been on a 30 plus year apprenticeship and it’s been fun. I really enjoy learning particularly from most of the young in the trade (some are just hard to take). The trade is changing and it is hard to keep up. I wish, at times, I had the energy I had 15 years ago.

Life is a continuous apprenticeship. The older you get the more you realise how much more there is to learn. If you enjoy learning new things then that's what makes you a real tradesman.

I've been "tramping" since not long after my time was out (over 20 year ago). My work is more biased to the heavier side of "narrowback" work with an eclectic mix that ranges from heavy electrical plant right through to delicate electronics. I'm at my happiest when I'm learning something new. It's what drives the real technical bears on.