PDA

View Full Version : Your Mamma don't dance and your Daddy don't rock'n roll..

LostArt
02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Okay, I'm curious. YES AGAIN! Come on....humor me!!!!

Do linemen dance? When was the last time some of you danced? Have you ever danced?

Oh, and for CP................is dancing a sin? Just had to ASK!!! :D

loodvig
02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
It's odd that you bring this up, dancing I mean. I have been told that I MUST dance at my son's up coming wedding!

LostArt
02-28-2007, 08:31 PM
It's odd that you bring this up, dancing I mean. I have been told that I MUST dance at my son's up coming wedding!

Well? Is that a problem???? :D

Are you taking lessons? Is the wife wearing pads on her feet while practicing???

BigClive
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Do linemen dance? When was the last time some of you danced? Have you ever danced?

Oh sure. Just watch them get in-line with some induction and watch them dance (and scream a bit). Maybe that's what line dancing is. :)

Outlaw Lineman
02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
My wife gets me to dance.....after about 8 beers. Seriously I don't dance unless I'm REALLY BUZZED. I have a severe case of W.M.D. and two left feet to boot!

Orgnizdlbr
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM

yeah, most Lineman I know are pretty good at a "RAIN DANCE".....that is if they still have an inclement weather clause in the CBA.....

"little beaver"
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
My wife is quite athletic (D-1 All-State Basketball in HS) likes to dance. Everything out here in the Farming/Ranching country is the 'two step'. She's always after me to get it together for the 'two step'.

We sometimes go out to the Legion on Fridays for steak night. These days nothing stonger than Coke for me. For dancing give me that old time R&R:

" Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say Im old-fashioned, say Im over the hill
Today music aint got the same soul
I like that old time rock n roll"............Bob Seger

poletop22
03-01-2007, 06:09 AM
My wife gets me to dance.....after about 8 beers. Seriously I don't dance unless I'm REALLY BUZZED. I have a severe case of W.M.D. and two left feet to boot!

Yeah i know the feeling they think I am dancing but I am only trying to get to the bar for another beer:eek:

LostArt
03-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Heh. I'll have to tell you about "rain dancing" Georgie. Remember, Granny had some Cherokee in her. ;-)

Outlaw, I think you are the closest to what the Boss is like. However, I have seen him dance nicely with my daughter at her wedding without a drop. Which might give some sorta hope for Loodvig! :D

The Boss pretty much just watches me sing and dance! However, he will slow dance but not often in public. And since we don't do the club scene or go out much to hear bands, we don't have much of that opportunity anyway. And when we do, and the place has a pool table, I find myself playing at it the majority of the time.

LB, I've never learned the two step. I've always wanted to though. And call me nuts, but I'd love to learn ballroom dancing too.

That is great that many of you have been married a good long time. For this day and time, that sure is an accomplishment. I'm just a kid compared to some of you, but this June will make 27 yrs for the Boss and I. The boss would say, "Twenty-seven long miserable years." I'll laugh and say, "Why are you still here then?" He'll pause and says, "I don't remember." Heh. He says that EVERY year since we have been married. :D

Dave@PSE&G
03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm a dancing machine. Fill me full of Cuervo and get out of the way.

Pootnaigle
03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Would anybody REALLY wanna work with a Lineman that bragged on his mastery of the waltz and rumba on his resume? Ha ha

"little beaver"
03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm a dancing machine. Fill me full of Cuervo and get out of the way.

Hey Dave, do these lyrics fit for you??

"I drive an old Ford pick-up truck
I do my drink-in from a dixie cup
Yea I'm a bona-fide dancin' fool"

old lineman
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Last summer my beautiful wife of 43 years and I were at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville.
As you go through this magnificant venue there are crooks and crannies were you can select tunes of your favorite artists.
We couldn't resist the urge to get off in a secluded place to snuggle and dance to Ray Price, Johnny Cash, Vince Gill and many others.
We were told it would take one and half hours to go through. It took four hours.
It reminded me of times when we were on the dance floor 45 years ago, elbow to elbow with other dancers and were oblivious to any one of them.
We were smitten and still are.
Our favorite song is "For The Good Times" by Ray Price. We used to go to sleep to this song every night back in the early 1970's.
The Old Lineman

Dave@PSE&G
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey Dave, do these lyrics fit for you??

"I drive an old Ford pick-up truck
I do my drink-in from a dixie cup
Yea I'm a bona-fide dancin' fool"
From a dixie cup, out of the bottle, off a hotties chest, it's all good. Well, I haven't consumed mass quan"tities" off a hotties chest in quite a few years now, but the others still apply. All you need for a party is a 12 pack of Coors Light and a bottle of Cuervo 1800 (no training wheels- them's for pussies!), put the kiddies to bed and start kicking up the heels. On the side of my favorite shotglass is the Tequila drinkers mantra:
"1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, floor!" :p

If someone would instruct me on how to do so, I have a cool 2 minute video on my pc about the golden nectar that I'd love to post.:cool:

"little beaver"
03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Last summer my beautiful wife of 43 years and I were at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville.
As you go through this magnificant venue there are crooks and crannies were you can select tunes of your favorite artists.
We couldn't resist the urge to get off in a secluded place to snuggle and dance to Ray Price, Johnny Cash, Vince Gill and many others.
We were told it would take one and half hours to go through. It took four hours.
It reminded me of times when we were on the dance floor 45 years ago, elbow to elbow with other dancers and were oblivious to any one of them.
Our favorite song is "For The Good Times" by Ray Price. We used to go to sleep to this song every night back in the early 1970's.
The Old Lineman

How ya been OL?? Haven't been your way since our daughter graduated from Bishops U in '05. No 'Cabane a sucre' for us this year as my wife wants to go to a family wedding in July instead.

Now on the sentimental side, our song has been Vince Gill's 'Look at us' since it came out a few years ago.

"little beaver"
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Bet you have never been to a 'Cabane a sucre'

LostArt
03-02-2007, 05:48 AM
LOL! I'm laughing at Dave. Man, you are a wild thing, aren't ya? :D

Bet you have never been to a 'Cabane a sucre'

Nope. But, I'm sure it's some kinda French thingy. :D So, what is it? When I do a search it's all in French. I don't understand a THANG.

Wow. OL has a bride of 43 years? Now that is sweet!

You know those old songs that take you back to when you were dating? Well the Pina~Colada song seems to remind me of when the Boss and I were dating. We don't really have a song, but "Still" by the Comadores takes me back and we had that played on the piano during our wedding.

loodvig
03-02-2007, 08:41 AM
The Old Lineman

smit·ten /ˈsmɪtn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[smit-n] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. struck, as with a hard blow.
2. grievously or disastrously stricken or afflicted.
3. very much in love.

Dave@PSE&G
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Not as much as I used to be. I'm flashing back, BIGTIME. I don't know what happened. One minute I'm 25, and I would split my days into 3's; 1/3 working, 1/3 partying, and 1/3 sleeping. The next minute, I'm 42, have a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and drinking too much gives me a HUGE headache. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!:confused:

I do have some great memories of great times with some great people. Most of them are still here, some are not. However,I wouldn't change a thing. Except the part about being born handsome and brilliant instead of rich!;)

"little beaver"
03-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Nope. But, I'm sure it's some kinda French thingy. :D So, what is it? When I do a search it's all in French. I don't understand a THANG.

Wow. OL has a bride of 43 years? Now that is sweet!

You know those old songs that take you back to when you were dating? Well the Pina~Colada song seems to remind me of when the Boss and I were dating. We don't really have a song, but "Still" by the Comadores takes me back and we had that played on the piano during our wedding.

It's where you boil the sap from the Maple Trees in the Spring to make the Sirop D'Erable ie Maple Syrup. Cabane a Sucre has a broader meaning in the 'patois' of Quebec sort of meaning all the festivities surrounnding the season.
My cousins in Quebec have a sort of old time kitchen built on to their 'cabane a sucre' where they cook, play music and imbibe etc. It's real old time fun!

duckhunter
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I am proud to report that my wife and I took ballroom dancing classes together for 2 years. It was a lot of fun and got us out like we were dating again. I play in a Celtic group currently and I am thinking about learning some Celtic dances.

LostArt
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
It's where you boil the sap from the Maple Trees in the Spring to make the Sirop D'Erable ie Maple Syrup. Cabane a Sucre has a broader meaning in the 'patois' of Quebec sort of meaning all the festivities surrounnding the season.
My cousins in Quebec have a sort of old time kitchen built on to their 'cabane a sucre' where they cook, play music and imbibe etc. It's real old time fun!

Aaaaahhh............well, all I know is sugar cane making. That's the real syrup! :D I remember years later that my grandfather would use that large kettle to boil us a big batch of peanuts. That's what you call a peanut boil. And then we would have Fish Frys too. Oh man...those were the days...goin' fishin' with Grannie and Grandaddy.

Ever had any swamp cabbage LB?

I am proud to report that my wife and I took ballroom dancing classes together for 2 years. It was a lot of fun and got us out like we were dating again. I play in a Celtic group currently and I am thinking about learning some Celtic dances.

Oh man! I'd give anything if the Boss would do something like that!! And the Boss loves that group that is from over yonder that does those kinda dances....some dance troop. Clive will have to help me out again. The name of that group has slipped my mind again. Ulgh.

old lineman
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Aaaaahhh............well, all I know is sugar cane making. That's the real syrup! :D I remember years later that my grandfather would use that large kettle to boil us a big batch of peanuts. That's what you call a peanut boil. And then we would have Fish Frys too. Oh man...those were the days...goin' fishin' with Grannie and Grandaddy.

Ever had any swamp cabbage LB?

Oh man! I'd give anything if the Boss would do something like that!! And the Boss loves that group that is from over yonder that does those kinda dances....some dance troop. Clive will have to help me out again. The name of that group has slipped my mind again. Ulgh.

LostArt you haven't tasted syrup until you've tasted Maple syrup. It's not hard to find, I am in Florida for the winter and picked some up at Publix.
It says on the bottle from Vermont and Quebec.
Now that's a melting pot for you.
Pour it liberally on your pancakes. The frenchmen pour it on their eggs.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
03-02-2007, 03:53 PM
How ya been OL?? Haven't been your way since our daughter graduated from Bishops U in '05. No 'Cabane a sucre' for us this year as my wife wants to go to a family wedding in July instead.

Now on the sentimental side, our song has been Vince Gill's 'Look at us' since it came out a few years ago.

Hi Little Beav I'm great. I'm spending the winter in Florida in our RV. Hotter than a fire cracker here today.
I haven't been around Lennoxville since October last fall.
Will be there in May. Then back and forth for the summer. I had to call the neighbor and have the snow taken off the roof.
Old fashioned type winter up there.
Hope you and your family are all well.
Are you still moon lighting in the oil patch. What are you going to do with all your loot? Time to kick back.
The Old Lineman

LostArt
03-02-2007, 06:25 PM
LostArt you haven't tasted syrup until you've tasted Maple syrup. It's not hard to find, I am in Florida for the winter and picked some up at Publix.
It says on the bottle from Vermont and Quebec.
Now that's a melting pot for you.
Pour it liberally on your pancakes. The frenchmen pour it on their eggs.
The Old Lineman

I believe I have had Vermont Maple before OL. I'm trying to remember the last time I ate pancakes with syrup. A long time, I reckon.

I thought it was ketchup on eggs? Heh. No, I don't but a had a good friend that did. No, I just like'em easy side up with grits on them. I know I'm making Georgie give that Saprano Sour Face look. :D

OL, how long do you stay in Florida before heading back north?

old lineman
03-03-2007, 08:42 AM
I believe I have had Vermont Maple before OL. I'm trying to remember the last time I ate pancakes with syrup. A long time, I reckon.

I thought it was ketchup on eggs? Heh. No, I don't but a had a good friend that did. No, I just like'em easy side up with grits on them. I know I'm making Georgie give that Saprano Sour Face look. :D

OL, how long do you stay in Florida before heading back north?

My wife has been to ill to join me but she is now seeing lots of progress and expects to fly down around the 22nd. of March.
I expect to be pulling up stakes and heading to Hilton Head around the end of March. We'll be in Myrtle Beach for another week then working our way home.
We'll be following the geese.
The Old Lineman

LostArt
03-03-2007, 09:46 AM
We'll be in Myrtle Beach for another week then working our way home.
We'll be following the geese.
The Old Lineman

Well, let's hope PA BEN doesn't kill'em first. :D

"little beaver"
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Little Beav I'm great. I'm spending the winter in Florida in our RV. Hotter than a fire cracker here today.
I haven't been around Lennoxville since October last fall.
Will be there in May. Then back and forth for the summer. I had to call the neighbor and have the snow taken off the roof.
Old fashioned type winter up there.
Hope you and your family are all well.
Are you still moon lighting in the oil patch. What are you going to do with all your loot? Time to kick back.
The Old Lineman

Well OL, can't say the same for here. We've had snow since Nov and a cold March with lots of snow. I had a horse wreck in Sept. and hurt my back. I was hurting for a couple of months!! We had planned on making the Quebec/Vermont/ Florida trip in March , but it didn't work out.

I'm all tied up with the Oil Companies on HV issues. Last winter built a freestanding 25Kv DB system North of the Hay River generating from a gas well. Lots of fun!! They're starting to open up the Coal Bed Methane In the HH area, there will be lots of infrastructure to service. Overall, the Oil Patch has been slow this winter with some people hurting for sure.

Hope your wife gets to feeling better. How's the rest of the Family? Will PM you about our summer plans. We should try to meet up at the Pilsen in North Hatly???

BTW: It's the HABITANT that puts Maple Syrup on the eggs. I love MS on my eggs and I'm not even 'pure laine'!!
OK, LA figure out what we're talking about???

LostArt
03-03-2007, 04:28 PM
BTW: It's the HABITANT that puts Maple Syrup on the eggs. I love MS on my eggs and I'm not even 'pure laine'!!

Okay. Are you saying you love this syrup that is from the regions of Canada, and yet you are not a pure bred native?

So, have you had sirop de poteau?

Yeah, I do my homework. :D

old lineman
03-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Well OL, can't say the same for here. We've had snow since Nov and a cold March with lots of snow. I had a horse wreck in Sept. and hurt my back. I was hurting for a couple of months!! We had planned on making the Quebec/Vermont/ Florida trip in March , but it didn't work out.

I'm all tied up with the Oil Companies on HV issues. Last winter built a freestanding 25Kv DB system North of the Hay River generating from a gas well. Lots of fun!! They're starting to open up the Coal Bed Methane In the HH area, there will be lots of infrastructure to service. Overall, the Oil Patch has been slow this winter with some people hurting for sure.

Hope your wife gets to feeling better. How's the rest of the Family? Will PM you about our summer plans. We should try to meet up at the Pilsen in North Hatly???

My turn to buy. Think about coming out to the cottage in Ayer's Cliff.
Lot's of room.
The Old lineman

RWD
03-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Love it and if more people did it we'd not be as over weight. Work the beergut off to the beat. Actually taught dancing ... Ok I assisted the pro. She and I were offered a post on a cruise line .... I was a foreman at the time at an outpost un Utah. I had just bought a house. I often wonder.

I wish I could get my wife to dance. She is a musician and plays bass in a few local bands. She only dances with her bass.

:(

RWD

LostArt
03-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Love it and if more people did it we'd not be as over weight. Work the beergut off to the beat. Actually taught dancing ... Ok I assisted the pro. She and I were offered a post on a cruise line .... I was a foreman at the time at an outpost un Utah. I had just bought a house. I often wonder.

I wish I could get my wife to dance. She is a musician and plays bass in a few local bands. She only dances with her bass.

:(

RWD

What kind of dancing do you do? Or did to be offered to go and work on a cruise line? That would of been neat.

Well, the good thing about most couples is that we are different. They say opposites attract. I guess I have adjusted to a male's world early in life. Growing up with brothers, I had to play what they wanted to play most of the time. I guess you could call it a "democrate" vote, I call it outnumbered! I look back and I don't miss having a sister. I never had one, therefore you don't miss what you never had, right?

Anyway, I think it's helped me in my relationship with the Boss. I can be content fishing, boating, helping work on the Vampire ('93 Jeep Wrangler), going to fishing shops, boat shows, and any other male pass time and it doesn't bother me at all. It might sound onesided. And in alot of ways, it probably is. But, I'm not missing anything. I told the Boss a few years back that I want to travel some. He is in agreement. And we did get to NC/TN last summer. However, I've asked him a few times to go with me. Once to Key West (years ago) and once to CA (Sept.2004), he didn't go either time. I told him that if he doesn't go, I'll start going without him. Those two times, I flew away. And once I went to the beach without him. Yes, all by myself. He didn't like it, but he doesn't like the beach.

I understand that we are different and I think we both compromise and adjust to these differences. I can go with the flow most of the time, but if I want to do something bad enough.....he will just have to understand or join me "willingly". And I've told him that I will not tolerate a fuddydud or a whinner. I'm off to enjoy myself and see things....with or without him.

And that goes both ways guys. I understand his wants perfectly. Probably better than he does mine. And that's okay, because I'll let him know what they are! :D

LostArt
03-04-2007, 11:15 AM

What??? You start something and can't finish it LB? :D

Jeeze. Was I right or not???? Warm...hot...cold...freezing? Was I even close???

Jeeze. I hate it when you guys do this.

RWD
03-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Two step, Walz, country swing, Rock n' Roll. I'll do ine dances only if I have to ... there is just not enough freedom if everyone has to move the same way at the same time.

I was invited to join a ballrom dance group one time but I found that it too is restrictive. I dance for fun and feeling. Learn the basics and improvise. Dirty dancing can be fun too but you have to really know your partner or you have to be sure your partner knows how to read your cues and to cue you if needed.

I also found that knowing how to dance and having fun with it lead to a longer evening after the pubs closed ..... Practicing the horozantal bop. Course thats history now.

Love to dance.

RWD

"little beaver"
03-04-2007, 12:03 PM
What??? You start something and can't finish it LB? :D

Jeeze. Was I right or not???? Warm...hot...cold...freezing? Was I even close???

Jeeze. I hate it when you guys do this.

Sorry LA for the late reply, This is your personal lesson in the 'patois' of Quebec. Remember Quebec is a totally unique culture in North America. They have maintained their culture and their language even though surrounded by a sea of d'anglais!

PATOIS= that's the vernacular/expressions of Francophone Quebec that are unique to that region.

HABITANT= from the root word 'inhabitant'. It means Farmer/ peasant, person of the land. All Francopnones feel themselves to some extant to be a 'HABITANT', connected to their past. There is another word 'PAYSANNE' that's similiar meaning country/home style. If you were to go into a McDonalds in Quebec for breakfast you would see 'paysanne..........'

PURE 'LAINE'= literally 'pure wool'. It means a pure bred francopnone back to the original settlers of the 1600's. My mother would be pure 'laine'. I'm not because my Dad was Irish/American and I speak french like an anglophone. There was lots of Irish immigration to Quebec many of whom were integrated into the culture. (BTW: Montreal has the 2nd biggest St Pat's parade in NA) In the past. I worked with Linemen with the names McSwaine and Kelly who could barely speak english.

So, your translation was 'fairly broad', but would have got you by with a bit of the meaning!

LostArt
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
So, your translation was 'fairly broad', but would have got you by with a bit of the meaning!

Okay, so I was lukewarm! :p I have to second guess some things here because even though my name is French, I'm not! :D But, I don't suppose my name is common up there.

But, you STILL didn't answer my question LB......

So, have you had sirop de poteau?

LostArt
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Two step, Walz, country swing, Rock n' Roll. I'll do ine dances only if I have to ... there is just not enough freedom if everyone has to move the same way at the same time.

I was invited to join a ballrom dance group one time but I found that it too is restrictive. I dance for fun and feeling. Learn the basics and improvise. Dirty dancing can be fun too but you have to really know your partner or you have to be sure your partner knows how to read your cues and to cue you if needed.

I also found that knowing how to dance and having fun with it lead to a longer evening after the pubs closed ..... Practicing the horozantal bop. Course thats history now.

Love to dance.

RWD

LOL! I'm remembering a time when I thought the bump was kinda dirty. Now look at how they dance!! :D

You talking about dirty dancing reminded me of a time we had the kids over and their friends at a cookout one night. I told my daughter's friends I didn't think I could get that low to the ground. Well, of course I had to try it, right? Well, I was doing fine and I looked over and saw some familiar boots. My eyes traveled upward and the Boss was standing there with his arms crossed and asked, "Woman, what the hell are you doing? You are gonna kill yourself." I got tickled and that is when I lost all movement/beat and calasped. I was laughing up at him and he says, "I suppose now you want me to help you up???" :D

I'll dance to almost anything....but rap.........I just can't tolerate it. I know!! Sound like my grandaddy! But, it's true...can't stand that kind of music.

woody
03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
danced when I was young...on the back decks of fishing boats up in alaska. Did something similar once ashore...with good or mixed results. Have I taken lessons... no... will I ... yup... gotta do something always for the ladies... can't let em get bored with ya... otherwise your left with what?. Answer for yourselfselves. woody