PDA

View Full Version : Bonding

billg
03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Do any other systems specs (beside national grid) require all hardware on hendrix (distribution spacer cable) construction to be bonded and grounded? Seems foolish to be grounding the stand-off bracket (chicken wing) that cut outs are mounted on.

electric squirrel
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Out here in California they bond pins and cutout brackets,,,to me its just a bomb waiting to go off! Nothing like going phz to phz on purpose huh? But I'am just an ape according to my current lineman I dont know nuttin'!!!E.S.:cool:

Stinger
03-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Billg, can't agree with you more. my company contracts to the grid. As far as I am concerned this bonding issue they have is nothing more than a new version of a widow maker!!

Squizzy
03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
How well does the bonding in the US prevent poletop fires? I did ask this question a year or so ago and got some great info as the first rains after summer we seem to get a thorough run of poletop fires. There is a fair amount of linewashing going but its still happens . Another I asked ages ago is if you bond your 3 high voltage phases together you are effectively putting a single phase conductor in a three phase magnetic field so is the induced voltage going to be AC or DC? Electrical theory states you cannot induce a DC voltage but when you are inducing voltage from 3 phases there will always be some part of the sinewave in the positive which is a characteristic of DC. I love throwing this at engineers then stand back and watch them argue did the same thing from memory the last time i asked it on here..

Bigheadnc
03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Here in the south. Some co-ops do,some don't. Some elec. cities do. some don't. Don't you hate when those split nuts are about 30 years old and they decide they want to keep 'em. How about those 301 or 302? snip snip

billg
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah, that's my sentiment Stinger. Just another big hazard added to primary zone. (Can't argue with engineers though, they got it all figured out...on paper, that is.)

edski104
03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
hi billy,you should see here. we bond all the guys and all transformer poles. we bond everything on all cement poles,and i mean all the hardware on them,but don't bond the guts on the beach or the guys will corrode faster. just little stuff that you need down on this system. you should see all the cement poles. customers love the way they look,but they suck to drill and when they rust and start to fall apart, you can't get to them fast enough. we have an ongoing fight about should we replace them with wood or with new concrete. i say wood and screw the customer,we work on them. see you this summer. call me when you can. :D