PDA

View Full Version : long underwear

liledgy
03-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I have been having trouble finding good long underwear without polypropalyne (nylon) in it. years ago you could get similar shirts but they had a thin layer of wool in them. I know you can get the cotton stuff that has all the little bumps in it but I like the stuff from places like Gander mountain and other stores that sell hunting gear. Any linnies having the same problems?

Space
03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I pretty much gave up on insulated underware some years ago . Seems it all shrinks terribly and shirts ride up and pants ride down . Best thing I have found to date is layers . Seems a good set of insulated carhart bibs , and layers of normal cotton hunting shirts work for me fine .
If your a distribution lineman as myself , I have found the above hold me down to the low twenties and when teens and single digits hit , I throw on a pair of regular cotton hunting pants under the bibs , I like to put on a long sleeved shirt with a sleeveless shirt and a t-shirt . With gloves and sleeves this keeps me good to the low twenties . When teens and single digits hit , Ill go for another sleeveless shirt over the shortsleeved shirt and add the pants . Reason for the sleeveless shirts is not to carmp my arms and shoulders in the sleeves so bad as a bunch of short sleeved or long sleeved shirts will . I have worked some -0 and single digit wind chills and this getup worked fine for me . Hope this helped , Space

PA BEN
03-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Carhartt makes 100% cotton union suits. I like the union suit long johns because the top doesn't creep up your back.

LostArt
03-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Long underwear. Well, that is one thing the Boss doesn't seem to need here.

"little beaver"
03-02-2007, 11:13 PM
As most of you would expect, we've worked in some viciously cold weather. Many nights in the -40's and 50's with the wind blowing besides. I always said that I could stand anything in the daylight, but it sure gets old fast in the dark!!

I never feel warm unless I'm wearing wool long UW and wool pants. The old Canadian Army pants with suspenders come way up your back. They 'break joints' really nice. As SPACE said layers are the answer.

Last fall I was working for an Outfitter up the Alaska HW. We had a Sept snow storm in the MTs. Those wool pants and long UW sure feel good. One day I had about 7hrs in the saddle leading a pack horse in a snow storm. Something was telling me that I was 59 not 29!!!

liledgy
03-03-2007, 08:49 AM
I agree with the layers, and with my co. allowance I bought some 120.00 dollar long underwear pants ( woolrich i think). I was just wondering if other linnies are also having trouble finding good, thin layered natural long underwear?

old lineman
03-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree with the layers, and with my co. allowance I bought some 120.00 dollar long underwear pants ( woolrich i think). I was just wondering if other linnies are also having trouble finding good, thin layered natural long underwear?

Check out L.L. Bean on the net. They specialize in hunting gear. Cold weather clothing is a must in Maine.
The Old Lineman

dbrown20
03-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Duofold longhandles always worked for me. This brand has cotton inner layer and a wool outerlayer. The cotton makes it not scratchey and itchey. However I'm comfortable with all wool. Layers, you bet. When I worked in Wyo. and Neb. this is what I used. Wool socks and duofold longhandles. Those cotton socks and cotton longhandles just wouldn't cut it. dbrown20

scammy
03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
carhart makes pants with a underware lining in them,,,,,like long johns,,,,,,,,,,,but real men dont wear underwere

duckhunter
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I know I'll catch crap for saying this but what the hell. I have silk long underwear. It is thin warm and you don't need to worry about the fr probelm with it. It wicks well and is very comfortable, and to tell you the truth, I look damn sexy in it. lol

tolex42
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Are they pink with lace?

Just kidding, silk in a layer can be warm.

scammy
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
duckhunter,,,,,you aint right,,,,dont tell everyone ,,,,,,,but where do you get them from.scammy

duckhunter
03-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Well I don't get them from Victoria's Secret! I've bought them from Cabelas and L.L. Bean. I know that Lands End carries them also.

scammy
03-06-2007, 09:49 PM
ducks right ,,all kidding aside ,,when I was a commercial fisherman ,the seine net boats ,,(they had to jump in the water and pull the nets )some of them would wear stockings to stay warm ,even in the cold water,,nylon and silk ,,,,,but some of them wernt right either,,,scammy

Apples
03-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Always remember boys if you can't layer up lay 'er down !!!

JulieF
04-30-2007, 05:38 PM
There is a company Ulfrotte (www.ulfrotte.com) that makes Fr underwear. It is pricey but I know alot of lineman that wear it and really like it. And it last a long time.

T-Saw
04-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I generally start slathering my legs with Rogine in Sept. , then by the cold of December my legs have a nice thick coat of fur, and I don't need any long johns.

LostArt
04-30-2007, 09:20 PM
I generally start slathering my legs with Rogine in Sept. , then by the cold of December my legs have a nice thick coat of fur, and I don't need any long johns.

"The boy ain't right."

playtime
05-05-2007, 06:26 PM
I know I'll catch crap for saying this but what the hell. I have silk long underwear. It is thin warm and you don't need to worry about the fr probelm with it. It wicks well and is very comfortable, and to tell you the truth, I look damn sexy in it. lol

I thought the silk ones would work well since the outside layer would slide and not cause them to bunch up, Has anyone tried the lined jeans that are in Cabela's book? Think I'm going to try a pair hunting this year. May wear for work if I like them.