PDA

View Full Version : Let

dbrown20
03-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Let Hemingray have first crack at this please.

Hemingray, you are assigned a very simple job. It consists of 6 poles starting from an existing transformer pole. It's just lights, and 120 volt lights at that. The material consists of just 6 thirty foot poles, six lights and enough triplex to go the distance and of course necessary connectors and one pts. etc.

This is a climb job only. The questions are. How do you accompolish this with the fewest climbs and also ensure that each light is hooked to an alternate leg of the triplex? Anxiously awaiting your reply Brian. dbrown20

Hemingray Insulators
03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
well first i fram all six poles with the required hardware and drill all holes for the lights, set all 6 poles.and i lay out the triplex. at the transformer pole end i tie one leg to the neutral. (triplex still on ground) i go to the last pole and start hanging the triplex and lights. on the last pole i use my ohm meter to find which leg is shorted (o ohms) to neutral and tap off that. climb back down climb next pole from the end and hook to the one that doesn't read zero ohms. then on the next pole the hang the ligh hook it to the leg that reads zero ohms to neutral. next pole hang light and hook it to leg that reads more than zero. next pole hang light tap to 0 ohms, next pole hang light to one above zero ohms. next remove the short at the trans end and climb trans pole and hook it up to the trans or secondary, hooking up the neutral first. of course wearing class 0 rubbers while hooking to the trans or secondary. this includes a total of 7 times up and 7 time down assuming you have a ground man to pull the lights and triplex up the hand line, and also assuming thes are small lights. not the long mast type.

Hemingray Insulators
03-10-2007, 05:39 PM
should add that each pole is only climbed once

Hemingray Insulators
03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
i was thinkin of putin the lights on on the ground but wasn't sure if that was a good way to do it so i didn't put that in there, thanks for the comments Mike and Swamp.

scammy
03-11-2007, 01:27 AM
I would have done it just like you ,,exept I would have climbed every pole twice ,,one time for the eye ,and one time for the bulb ,,,,,,,scammy,,,,,,,im not the sharpest tool in the shed

tramp67
03-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Good call on the "more than zero ohms" after you hooked up your second light! You also can usually follow the lay of the two phases on the triplex, as the hot leads are normally touching side by side, where you can consider one the left phase and the other the right phase, provided you don't chip around the pole too many times, get dizzy, and forget which direction you were following the lays! :p

dbrown20
03-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Pretty close Brian, except most folks would have framed and set the last pole completely and not have climbed it.

I've never seen a problem with just installing the bulb and eye before you set the pole. Always did.

I've even seen folks make a good estimate of the attachment point on the tangents and make ever thing up on the ground and only have to climb the source pole. Works sometimes and sometimes a little sloppy or too tight. Good show Brian. dbrown20

Mike-E
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
at the transformer pole end i tie one leg to the neutral. (triplex still on ground) i go to the last pole and start hanging the triplex and lights. on the last pole i use my ohm meter to find which leg is shorted (o ohms) to neutral and tap off that. climb back down climb next pole from the end and hook to the one that doesn't read zero ohms. then on the next pole the hang the ligh hook it to the leg that reads zero ohms to neutral. next pole hang light and hook it to leg that reads more than zero. next pole hang light tap to 0 ohms, next pole hang light to one above zero ohms.

Another method that could work is that alot of triplex is identified by printing on ONE of the hot legs. You could use that to alternate for your lights. But your method is pretty smart. Good job.

scammy
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
hemigray,,,,dont waste your time with these guys ,,,,when your readdy come to dayton power and light ,,,,im not too smart ,,,need all the help i can get ,,,scammy,love ya all

500 KVA
03-13-2007, 08:43 PM
With the few small exceptions of not framing on the ground, and not completing the last pole and then setting it finished, you did pretty good on that one.

That is if you didn't get the answer from those Utility guys you associate with. I would hope you are doing all the brain work yourself. If you are giving answers posed to you on here, they should be completely your answers.

Don't get me wrong, It's not my intention to say that they aren't your answers.

Anyway good job.

Hemingray Insulators
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
nope, didn't get the answer from the utility guys, to put it lightly, we don't talk no more, at least if we do, its very rare.

tramp67
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
1/2 MVA must have been feeling guilty about his last post to you, Hemmingray!:D

500 KVA
03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
I do not feel guilty about saying what needs to be said. Good and bad. I say good job when it should be said. I say what needs saying when it's not good.

I don't kiss anyones ass like some on here. I tell it how I feel it is. You don't like it, well too bad. Have the moderator boot me.