PDA

View Full Version : Okay Brian

dbrown20
03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Brian, lets do a little high lining now. Sorta expand your horizons.

You are the lone lineman and are sent with only your tools, a hand line, and a grunt. Your assignment is to prepare a portion of old 69 KV for removal. On the portion you are assigned to there are no hot crossings and everything is grounded etc.

The structures are all H fixtures with only a slab arm of wood or maybe one of those steel angle iron type arms. It isn't a double arm type of fixture anyway. No X braces and no static wire to mess with. Just the arm which is bolted on one side of the poles only. Just three 4/0 phases attached to bells.

Mon. morn. the old push says to you. We got 10 structures left on that old 69 to wreck out. You and Hermie take the El Camino pickup and a handline and run out there and drop the wire to the ground and swing the arms over to one pole and tomorrow we'll roll up the wire and send the Cat over to pull the poles. You say. "Man what we gonna do after lunch?"

What's your method Brian, Brian? dbrown20

KingRat
03-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Two men-two chainsaws and a pocket full of cash by 4 oclock:)

topgroove
03-12-2007, 08:03 AM
I here that king rat! let'em fly

dbrown20
03-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Did I mention that the push has promised the rancher that he would leave the poles intact as the rancher wants them for a pole barn he's building? The butts are pretty good. Also it seems the push has made arrangements to deer hunt there this fall and so he wants to curry favor with the rancher.

No chain saws this time. dbrown20

topgroove
03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
oops... too late Mr.Brown. Me and Rat allready cut em all down and sold the poles for a buck a foot to the millwork down the road. The 4/o copper's on the way to the scrap yard. We're having fillet mignon and lobster with a little crown royal tonight. why wait for the venison this fall.

dbrown20
03-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Groove and Rat done been caught in a 2 man layoff. See you on the big job later guys.

The sheriff is trying to trace down those 2 guys who sold all that copper. Somebody gonna have to try a plea bargain. dbrown20

topgroove
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Groove and Rat done been caught in a 2 man layoff. See you on the big job later guys.

The sheriff is trying to trace down those 2 guys who sold all that copper. Somebody gonna have to try a plea bargain. dbrown20that's OK we were gonna drag-up from that rat outfit anyway.BTW better tell push man to steer clear of that rancher he's kinda pissed! push never mentioned that rancher has two smoken hot daughters. they ran off with us.Good thing that rancher could'nt hit the broad side of a barn with that 12 guage.

Hemingray Insulators
03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Brian, lets do a little high lining now. Sorta expand your horizons.

You are the lone lineman and are sent with only your tools, a hand line, and a grunt. Your assignment is to prepare a portion of old 69 KV for removal. On the portion you are assigned to there are no hot crossings and everything is grounded etc.

The structures are all H fixtures with only a slab arm of wood or maybe one of those steel angle iron type arms. It isn't a double arm type of fixture anyway. No X braces and no static wire to mess with. Just the arm which is bolted on one side of the poles only. Just three 4/0 phases attached to bells.

Mon. morn. the old push says to you. We got 10 structures left on that old 69 to wreck out. You and Hermie take the El Camino pickup and a handline and run out there and drop the wire to the ground and swing the arms over to one pole and tomorrow we'll roll up the wire and send the Cat over to pull the poles. You say. "Man what we gonna do after lunch?"

What's your method Brian, Brian? dbrown20

i climb up and attach the handline to the pole and rig a sheave off the arm above the strings, and had the grunt take it up a bit so i can undo the conductor clamp pin and lower that 4/0 to the ground then lower the insulator string down. do the same with the middle phase. then put my saftey around the arm and walk over to the other pole, and atttach the handline in the same mannor on the other side lower the copper, then the string. then unbolt the arm and let it swing down over to the other pole. and climb down the pole. this means ever pole is only climbed once, some up, some down for a total of 20 climbs.

now as to the comment about "what to do after lunch? did ya want me to answer that too?

topgroove
03-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Damn... I'ld like to see the grunt who"s gonna lift a transmission span of 4/o copper by handline.:eek:

Hemingray Insulators
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Damn... I'ld like to see the grunt who"s gonna lift a transmission span of 4/o copper by handline.:eek:

well ya know if hes a ground man obviosly hes tooo big ta climb. he just has ta act like hes clibing the rope and itsl raise up.

no really.............thats what the trucks for LOL

500 KVA
03-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Yep He's got a super grunt with him.

Now you've removed wire, possibly from some very old poles. Did you bother to dig down around each pole to check and see if they might be rotted below ground level. Smack about the base with a hammer, and pound a screw driver into the butt. You are climbing them aren't you?

Your changing the strain and placing different stresses on those structures as well as adding weight to those structures down line. Are they going to hold up? Your vast experience tells you that I suppose?

Then you're going to put the icing on the cake and slam that arm for good measure. Hope that other pole is in decent condition. Sure wouldn't want it to split and break. Who knows where the top may end up? Maybe on your, or your grunts head!

This sheave you got. What's its rating? Did you give everything a good inspection? Of course you're going to know what your looking for right?

You may want to concentrate on being a bucket truck lineman. Climbing may just get you killed! You still need to have a brain when doing a job you may feel is trivial.

The list can go on forever. You may want to get with swampgas and learn something before taking this job. Then who's going to show him?

Hemingray Insulators
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
if you would have read the whole thread you would have seen that DBrown stated the poles were in pretty good condition.

yup looks like 500 still don't like me.............just as i suspected............:rolleyes:

dbrown20
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Okay Brian, you got a pretty good take on it. We can call the conductor ACSR so it won't be near as heavy as copper.

Here's my method. Climb the back side of one pole and unding the bells maybe 2 blocking the handline for Hermie. If he can't lift it up let him tie on the front bumper of the El Camino and put a butt block at the bottom of the pole. Just unding one outside phase. After Hermie gets the wire down to the ground he can take the rods and shoe off. If it's too high to reach he can come back and get it after the wire gets lower. Let the bells down to Hermie.

Don't unding the middle phase yet. Just step from the pole to the middle phase and hence to the other pole. The centers are not so far on most 69 structures of this type. After attaching your safety to the other pole drag
the handline over and drop out the middle phase and then the remaining phase and of course the bells. I forgot to remind you to loosen the thru bolt on the first pole. Anyway after everything is dropped out then from the back side knock the thru bolt out and let the arm drop and hang from the first pole. Then climb down the pole and repeat until all structures are ready to wreck out. Of course it goes without saying that like 500 says. Be damn sure to check the poles for rot as you'll be stressing them a little. This scenarion is sorta like an ideal thing anyway. There are a lot of factors that come into play in a real situation. Don't hook up with Topgroove after work. He'll just get you drunk and thrown in jail. dbrown20

topgroove
03-12-2007, 05:27 PM
well ya know if hes a ground man obviosly hes tooo big ta climb. he just has ta act like hes clibing the rope and itsl raise up.

no really.............thats what the trucks for LOLyou put a truck on a handline and attempt to lift a transmission span of 4/o copper that blocks gonna come apart faster than the space shuttel or the ropes gonna break with you on the hospital side.:eek: :eek: :eek:

topgroove
03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
oops I see we switched to acsr. Even still when your dealing with 500 foot spans that conducter gets real heavy.Not sure I would want to change any strain unless I'm using a ton & a half hoist at least and let the strain off easy into a bull line. Any 69 KV line your gonna wreck out is gonna be pretty god damn old... even older than Mr. Brown. I know for sure I'm not gonna use any cowboy technics. Your dead on bout one thing, I probebly would get hemingway in trouble.

dbrown20
03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Actually you know that thing about not having someone do what you have not done yourself. That applies here.

I remember once redinging some copper on 138 KV once by 2 blocking the handline and using a truck to pull it up. I can't remember what we were doing. I think we may have changed out a set of arms that had burned down. I remember that it was a pretty good load for the handline. The shives we used are rated for about 700 lbs I think. 1/2 inch poly rope. I wouldn't make a regular practice of it. Also keep the body in the clear of course. I don't think the wire was bonafide 4/0, but it was pretty heavy. Actually it wasn't all that fearful.

The scenario for the original thread came from a job I once worked on. By 2 blocking the handline a single grunt was able to lift the wire to be undinged. I remember also changing tangent bells on some 115 KV that was 4/0 ACSR and the same thing applied. One grunt was easily able to lift the bells in order for them to be changed. The new bells were sent up in a nose bag and hung on the arm. Then the groundman lifted the phase, you leaned out and undinged the bad bells and put in the new. Simple. dbrown20

LINETRASH
03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Dealing with tangent structures is easy.

I would hang my shive above the bells and pull the hook under the phase , back up to the shiev, slipping my handline hook into the botom of the shive.

This gives the grunt and his "EL Camino' plenty of leverage to bend the bells.

After that it is a simple matter of wrapping the fall line around the pole a few times, once the grunt breaks the bells, all else is easy.

This is an easy task . I assure you that the conductor would be on the ground easy.

The x-arm would swing to the other pole when I drove the bolt out. No problem. Easy money.

Sorry for the overuse of the word easy, but this one was really simple to me. I have worked transmission to the point that I consider any rigging as easy.

Not many suprises left.

;)

dbrown20
03-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Dealing with tangent structures is easy.

I would hang my shive above the bells and pull the hook under the phase , back up to the shiev, slipping my handline hook into the botom of the shive.

This gives the grunt and his "EL Camino' plenty of leverage to bend the bells.

After that it is a simple matter of wrapping the fall line around the pole a few times, once the grunt breaks the bells, all else is easy.

This is an easy task . I assure you that the conductor would be on the ground easy.

The x-arm would swing to the other pole when I drove the bolt out. No problem. Easy money.

Sorry for the overuse of the word easy, but this one was really simple to me. I have worked transmission to the point that I consider any rigging as easy.

Not many suprises left.

;)

Exactly. dbrown20

KingRat
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
The chainsaws are the way to go even if the farmers cows have to walk on their knees to get in- it was worth a laugh anyway.

Bigheadnc
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Two men-two chainsaws and a pocket full of cash by 4 oclock:)
I'm feeling you. I'm workin' with the rat
:cool:

woody
03-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Thank- you did'nt read about or was shown about it. Man did'nt know this even happened. ... woody

tramp67
03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
The chainsaws and scrapyard are for me, too! The lazy ass push didn't bother to think about the crew, the whole deal was for himself. If there was something in the deal for us, sure we'd help. But it's pretty easy to "forget" some of the instructions if there's no motivation for the working part of the crew. Are you sure the rancher only has two smokin' daughters? What does his wife look like?!:p

500 KVA
03-13-2007, 09:25 AM
One thing you better understand. That little back yard thing you do is NOT real line work. If you start thinking you know it all you will get hurt.

I don't take anybodies word for anything when my life is on the line. Someone tells you something is fine and you just go to work? You are stupid!

What I told you is to get your head out of your ass know it all! You want to run and gun? You better learn what to do and not do first.

That means shutting your smart assed know it all mouth and let people who do the work explain their methods. Yes it is okay to jump in with an idea as long as you understand that you really are just guessing.

You come off like some baby journeyman. You haven't even done anything yet. You have way too big an attitude for not being anything but a wanna be.

The guys on here think your a novelty for now. They should be telling you how it is on a real line crew when a know it all comes onto the crew.

SHUT THE F- UP, and listen to what your told!

Now get back on your step ladder and play in the back yard og Grammy's house.

Hemingray Insulators
03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
One thing you better understand. That little back yard thing you do is NOT real line work. If you start thinking you know it all you will get hurt.

I don't take anybodies word for anything when my life is on the line. Someone tells you something is fine and you just go to work? You are stupid!

What I told you is to get your head out of your ass know it all! You want to run and gun? You better learn what to do and not do first.

That means shutting your smart assed know it all mouth and let people who do the work explain their methods. Yes it is okay to jump in with an idea as long as you understand that you really are just guessing.

You come off like some baby journeyman. You haven't even done anything yet. You have way too big an attitude for not being anything but a wanna be.

The guys on here think your a novelty for now. They should be telling you how it is on a real line crew when a know it all comes onto the crew.

SHUT THE F- UP, and listen to what your told!

Now get back on your step ladder and play in the back yard og Grammy's house.

What backyard line????? and what step ladder i dont use no steo ladder

Bigheadnc
03-13-2007, 07:21 PM
ACSR? I thought we were selling CU? WTF????

BigClive
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
you put a truck on a handline and attempt to lift a transmission span of 4/o copper that blocks gonna come apart faster than the space shuttel or the ropes gonna break with you on the hospital side.:eek: :eek: :eek:

But _this_ space shuttle didn't come apart at all.... Of course, using a Reliant Robin as a space shuttle was always going to be a bit dodgy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnDIxhhqzEY&mode=related&search=

KingRat
03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
ACSR? I thought we were selling CU? WTF????

We are- just make sure you don't use alum. ty wire on those 300 lb. coils because they won't pay #1 price- Its a 50-50 split with the whole crew, Deal? Better than storm trouble for sure-

dbrown20
03-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Forgot to mention to you Brian that when the Push assigned you the little wreckout job on the 69 that he told your pole buddy 500 KVA to go on the framing crew that day and help them out while you and Hermie did the wreckout. 500 came over to you and Hermie as you prepared to load up in the El Camino and gave you the following instructions. "Brian buddy, those angle iron cross pieces used for arms out there where y'all are going today?" Brian. "Yes." 500. "This farmer down the road said he'd give me 15 dollars apiece for them. He's gonna use them on some kinda holding corral for a squeeze chute he's building." "If you and Hermie will salvage them that'll be 50 bucks apiece for the 3 of us." "Now don't throw or drop them off the pole as that might bend them." 500. "Think you can handle that little buddy?" Brian. "No problem good buddy."

Okay Brian, now you and Hermie have to get those angle iron arms down without messing them up. How you gonna do it? Just think, you can buy 500 a beer after work. At the end of the day you and Hermie show up with the 10 arms. 500 says. "You da man Brian." dbrown20

500 KVA
03-14-2007, 06:13 PM
probably need a shot and a beer before they did the work.

Hemingray Insulators
03-14-2007, 08:59 PM
first of all "discuss" with hermie what the plan was. then saddle up my tools, then check poles for butt rot, heart rot and shell rot. then climb one side, and double block the handline, lowering the bells ad wire at the same time. lean over and lower centerphase and bells. loosen the through bolt on my side until there is only a couple turns left on the bolt. step accros to other pole taking the handline with me, and lower the other phase and bells. attach handline to where the center phase was located, and use whatever i can get to turn the nut off on the other pole the last few turns. then lossen my side and standing on the opposide side of the pole the arm is located on take my hammer and hit the arm loose. its gonna swing to my pole, but i will be ot of the way on the opposite side of the arm, and then i will have hermie hold the handline while i remove the bolt. then itls bet lowered down the hand line. i remove handline and climb down. when were all loaded up we meet up with 500 and deliver it to the farmer and go have a drink.

dbrown20
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Close, but no cigar. dbrown20

topgroove
03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
this threads getting a little boring. Can we skip to the part where hermie ties the fall line to the bumper of the el'camino with a granny and takes some strain. Just as brian un-pins the bells the bumper on the old road comode rips loose and flys up and hits brian in the teath. Hermie hears the sound and turns around just in time to see the string of insulators crashing thru the rear window killing him instantly.

dbrown20
03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes it is boring. Why don't you come up with something interesting, like the thread count on FR clothing or some shit like that or even how to 2 block a handline? dbrown20

500 KVA
03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
This guy getting under your skin? Until just now, I don't think I've ever seen you irritated. Retirement must be stressful!

dbrown20
03-15-2007, 05:36 PM
I think he might be a safety man. Enough said? dbrown20

topgroove
03-15-2007, 06:26 PM
oops. sorry mr brown I think I hit a nerve with my last post. I know your trying to develop hemi into a well rounded lineman and I can appreciate that. I was simply trying to inject a little reality into this fantacy senario and make it more intresting at the same time.BTW I'm just a lineman not a safetyman

dbrown20
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm trying to make Brian into a top hand so he can go to Vegas, once he gets out of High School, so he can team up with 500 and they can get to be good pole buddies.

If 500 don't retire before Brian gets there. dbrown20

Hemingray Insulators
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I am considering the CAL-NEV JATC. my uncle lives in vegas, and i was actually thinging of going out there................but i don't know for sure.

dbrown20
03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Looks like 500 is gonna be stuck with you. Hope he's easy on you. I think he's really just a big old teddy bear. dbrown20

BigClive
03-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Big gruff teddy bear if you ask me. :)

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/tuffbear.gif

(That's me on a good day by the way!)

riverhog14
03-19-2007, 11:27 PM
after the copper and bells r on the ground, unbolt one side of the steel arm, knock out the bolt, and let it swing verticle on the other pole. climb the other pole, bringing the bolt u knocked out, and drill a hole in the pole where the hole in the arm (lower) meets it. jam the bolt in there. climb to the top of the pole, unbolt the top bolt and knock out, and let it swing on the bolt u just put in down bottom. repeat a few more times until your close to the bed height of the el camino, which hermie backed up to the pole, and the last time unbolting the top bolt, give the arm a nudge towards the el camino bed. may damage bed....

just a way of making it interesting...

dbrown20
03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
The top objective is to be as safe and make it as easy on yourself as possible.

Climb the first pole. Have Hermie send you up a long tag rope. Knock a notch in the top of the pole with your claw hammer. A straight claw framing hammer is the only one a lineman should carry usually. Personal preference.

Anyway rig the tag rope to hold the steel arm up. You can leave the bolt in the pole and let the arm set on it or knock the bolt completely out, makes no difference. You have to keep the arm up there in approximately it's original position. Remember you intend to leave the middle phase hanging on the arm as you have to step on the middle phase in order to step to the other pole. Make sure Hermie made a good tie on the tag rope holding up one end of the steel arm. Unsafety, hold onto the steel arm, step to the middle phase from the pole and hence to the other pole. Drag your handline over, attach it to the top of the pole. Split the handline, 2 block it if needed and unding and send to the ground the bells and remaining 2 phases. Then rig the handline on the end of the steel arm, unbolt it and let it go easy until the arm is hanging vertical from your tag rope that you rigged on the first pole climbed. Then climb down the pole and help Hermie let the arm down. Once the arm is down and loaded it is simple to go ahead and pull your tag rope down and go to the next structure and repeat the procedure. dbrown20