PDA

View Full Version : Gloves and Sleeves

Jabbo
03-14-2007, 02:20 PM
It's been awhile since I posted on here. I see most of the original crew is still here. Got a question for you guys. What is your glove/sleeve rules? We are "six foot" now but it looks like we are going to some form of Ground to Ground.
Later
Jabbo

Jabbo
03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
A dozen views and nobody knows when they are supposed to wear their gloves and sleeves.

billg
03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Ground to ground here in the Northeast.

OLE' SORE KNEES
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
We have a 31" Rule at FPL -20 KV gloves, secondary within reach.Sleeves and Gloves setting poles in Primary.Voltage is 13,200 and 23,000 KV.Years ago it was cradle to cradle..........catch myself still doing it sometimes from habit..........LOL

thrasher
03-15-2007, 07:54 AM
If energized primary on the pole the rule is ground to ground or cradle to cradle. On underground gloves only to open/close transformer or inspect. Sleeves if doing hot connection work.

thrasher
03-15-2007, 01:58 PM
On a related subject how many companies out there let the serviceman, and apparatus/metering people carry both Class 0 and Class 2 (or 3) gloves at the same time?
We do, but the class gloves you use is determined by the highest voltage in the area not just what you are working on. So class 0 can be used on a secondary structure or a meterbase/CT cabinent. But if there is primary on the pole have to wear class 2 even if just working on the service. How about other companies?

Jabbo
03-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Our metering folks have the Class 0 and the linemen used to. But we had a couple of instances where the guys "accidently" went in the primary zone with the Class 0's so they were removed. Now it is Class 2 only.

tramp67
03-16-2007, 12:24 AM
A lot of utilities use a common neutral on overhead distribution. Therefore, if you accidentally break the neutral connection on the pole, you could very easily end up in series with primary voltage. If you are wearing rubber gloves, you might as well wear gloves that will protect you from anything you have a possibility of coming in contact with.

42linehand
03-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Here in the northeast we wear Gloves and Sleeves Ground to Ground. Their our a couple smaller utilities that if we are working for we only have to wear gloves in the secondaries. Apprentices must always wear both ground to ground.

dwalla-walla
03-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Here in Georgia it is class 2's anytime you are within reach of the primary. We have 12kv and 25kv. We have the option to wear class 3's if we want to but they are not required anymore. Class 0 if you are on the secondary. I usually wear my 0's if I can reach it. Depending on what I am doing, I usually wear my primary gloves all of the time. It is easier than changing my gloves back and forth. We don't wear sleeves here.