PDA

View Full Version : Too many doobies??

tramp67
03-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Just wondering if I should ask the engineering department to share!:rolleyes: Up to now, every utility whose property I have worked on used CT cabinets for all the three phase metering donuts, wiring, etc. The place I'm at now has the metering department install meter sockets on the side of three phase padmounts and the current transformers are installed on the secondary studs inside the padmount tx. This means all new installations require a trip to the meter shop with the tx for metering installation, and any changeouts require the meter tech to retrofit the new tx before we can do the replacement.:eek: I see where this leads to job security for the metering department, but it sure doesn't make sense to me from an operational standpoint. Does anyone else out there save the customer the expense of a CT cabinet and put all the meter stuff on the padmounts?:confused: In anticipation of the inevitable question - the secondaries are run directly to the customer's main disconnect.

jersey hostage
03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I think they have the same thing here in jersey.We went to a collar that goes over the secondary bus and is wired to a cabinet.It seems totally retarded but that might be that no one has bothered to explain to the workers what the benefit is.It would be nice if you knew why these changes come about.

Electriceel
03-25-2007, 10:34 PM
What are we the only utility on earth that has lineman that understand metering.
We use bushing mount C.T.s, or the customer installs a CT cabinet, customer installs meter socket on their facility or some other authorized location, it is not allowed on the transformer.
The crews are trained and capable of installing metering conductor and connected it at both ends.
Sure makes our crews more productive to be able to complete the installation and also they are able to explain what is going on to the customers if so needed.
Not that many different form #'s to use now a days.

tramp67
03-25-2007, 11:39 PM
What are we the only utility on earth that has lineman that understand metering.
We use bushing mount C.T.s, or the customer installs a CT cabinet, customer installs meter socket on their facility or some other authorized location, it is not allowed on the transformer.
The crews are trained and capable of installing metering conductor and connected it at both ends.
Sure makes our crews more productive to be able to complete the installation and also they are able to explain what is going on to the customers if so needed.
Not that many different form #'s to use now a days.

The metering equipment isn't real difficult to hook up, but when you have a separate metering department, it can cause all kinds of commotion when we start doing the meter tech's work. You know, all the political turf war b.s.:eek:

T-Saw
03-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Hey Eel,

The linemen at our utility understand metering just fine, lol at least the ones who have been around awhile. However, the metermen would get awfully growly if we did their work.... much like we would get a tinge miffed if they were to come out and start doing linework. It used to be that pretty much everyone was crosstrained, but that isn't the way the company wants it anymore , so we play their little game , even though you are right , it would sure be more efficient, the old way.

And now to answer the original question, we used to mount the donuts in the transformers, but now we require a seperate cabinet in almost all instances. The metermen come out and prewire everything they can , and then come back and finish it up when we are ready to heat it up.

canuck1
03-27-2007, 02:49 PM
there is 2 reasons for ct's on the secondary bushings. 1- you do not need access to the customers buildings. as that is genrally where cabnit metering is located. 2 the company doesnt incur any losses do to line loss if metering equipment is very far away. we have the same prblem here in that we are always waiting on the metering techs to install the metering

playtime
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Ct's over the secondary bushings are great if the transformer is serving one consumer. A transformer that serves multiple accounts is where you need the ct cabinets. I thought I read something about someone mounting the meter on the tub. This was a no no because the vibration of the transformer would mess up the accurracy of the meter. This was when a mechanical meter was used, I'm not sure if it bothers todays solid state meters. Also the boss frowns when we bring in a tub with holes in it.

We require the ct cabinet to be mounted on the outside of the building.