PDA

View Full Version : Brit training in USA.

BigClive
03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm seriously considering attending Northwest Lineman College in California next year, purely for the interest of getting a detailed insight into the American distribution system. I've worked out that I can attend the March to June course without the risk of losing too much work here in Scotland.

Any comments good or bad on the NLC course?

Any alternative suggestions for anything similar in the UK that doesn't involve signing my future over to Scottish Power? :)

(I've seen the training centre in Cumbernauld, but guess it's only for company trainees.)

Squizzy
03-27-2007, 10:16 AM
If you are still considering coming over here I have heard several of the contractors are going to be sending guys to a 12 week course in Darwin (Northern Territory) as its all the basics done in one hit. I will look into it if you like.

BigClive
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah I'm still keeping OZ in mind as a future home and I'm looking forward to my trip over in May and meeting up with you at some point.

Right at the moment I'm looking at the USA course purely out of technical interest. Their electrical system and way of doing things is so much more interesting than some of our stuff. ;)

On one hand I'd also consider applying to a local company like Scottish Power for a job, but I'm not sure they'd even be interested in a 42 year old spark.

tramp67
03-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Have you given any thought to working for a contractor in the US?:rolleyes:
We could hang out and watch Wallice & Grommit reruns!:D

PA BEN
04-05-2007, 09:08 AM
I just met a new apprentice, He said He went through Avista's Line school. He just started for the County here. Said it was a very good school.
http://www.avistacorp.com/default.asp

LostArt
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Have you ever been over here Clive? If you posted that you have, I didn't see it.

BigClive
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Have you ever been over here Clive? If you posted that you have, I didn't see it.

I've been in the USA a few times. Usually 'vegas and Orlando. Partly doing the theme parks and partly just enjoying your slightly in-yer-face culture. :)

BigClive
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I just met a new apprentice, He said He went through Avista's Line school. He just started for the County here. Said it was a very good school.
http://www.avistacorp.com/default.asp

Is that not just for their own apprentices though? I'm looking for something that I can fit in to my existing work schedule so I can afford to do it. The California NLC course fits perfectly.

LostArt
04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
I've been in the USA a few times. Usually 'vegas and Orlando. Partly doing the theme parks and partly just enjoying your slightly in-yer-face culture. :)

In your face? Heh. I guess so.

Was there a time that you just worked theme park kinda stuff?

Also, is this like a sabbatical type of situation?

dbrown20
04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
You have to remember Mate they don't take tea breaks. Why do Scotsmen wear Kilts Clive? dbrown20

PA BEN
04-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Is that not just for their own apprentices though? I'm looking for something that I can fit in to my existing work schedule so I can afford to do it. The California NLC course fits perfectly.

It's a line college same as NWLC and the others.

Trampbag
04-05-2007, 09:07 PM
A woman from Florida traveled to Edinburgh for a holiday. As she was walking down Princes Street she saw three Black Watch soldiers coming up the street towards her in full dress. She now had the opportunity of a lifetime. When they were close she said, “What’s worn under your kilts?”

The Sergeant of the bunch (and now you will have to imagine a thick Scottish brogue) said, “I assurrrrre you madam,… everything is in perrrrfect worrrrking orrrderrrr”.

LostArt
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
A woman from Florida traveled to Edinburgh for a holiday. As she was walking down Princes Street she saw three Black Watch soldiers coming up the street towards her in full dress. She now had the opportunity of a lifetime. When they were close she said, “What’s worn under your kilts?”

The Sergeant of the bunch (and now you will have to imagine a thick Scottish brogue) said, “I assurrrrre you madam,… everything is in perrrrfect worrrrking orrrderrrr”.

http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/laugh005.gif

BigClive
04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
In your face? Heh. I guess so.

Was there a time that you just worked theme park kinda stuff?

Also, is this like a sabbatical type of situation?

In America it was just holidaying. I've done lighting work at Disney's Paris park though. It was almost like a working holiday in France. (And they lived up to the "big corporation" expectations!)

As far as my idea of doing a USA linework course goes, it's something that I quite like the idea of doing because the American system is that little bit more complicated than most. I also want to get to grips with pole climbing. It's not something I get the chance to do here. It's all steel poles and bucket work for what I do here. Being freelance I tend to have a quiet patch during the year, so doing a line school sounds like an interesting way to fill it.

BigClive
04-07-2007, 10:58 PM
You have to remember Mate they don't take tea breaks. Why do Scotsmen wear Kilts Clive? dbrown20

No tea breaks! It sounds a harsh life. :)

We wear kilts so we can ravish maidens at short notice.

tramp67
04-07-2007, 11:03 PM
No tea breaks! It sounds a harsh life. :)

We wear kilts so we can ravish maidens at short notice.

I have a cup of tea every morning. Now, where can I find a kilt.......:p

BigClive
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Have you given any thought to working for a contractor in the US?:rolleyes:
We could hang out and watch Wallice & Grommit reruns!:D

I hadn't actually thought about the idea of working for a USA contractor. The way things are working at the moment I have a big gap in my working year between February and July when it's normally quite quiet. It would be a very interesting idea if I could get a job with a contractor on a seasonal basis in those months. It would be a bit like a busmans holiday where I ditched my electrical work here to grunt in the USA.

Hmmm. I wonder......

LostArt
04-16-2007, 06:21 AM
I hadn't actually thought about the idea of working for a USA contractor. The way things are working at the moment I have a big gap in my working year between February and July when it's normally quite quiet. It would be a very interesting idea if I could get a job with a contractor on a seasonal basis in those months. It would be a bit like a busmans holiday where I ditched my electrical work here to grunt in the USA.

Hmmm. I wonder......

Now....the Weather Man says we are in for a good workin' hurricane season this year. However, right now you could work some good long hours Clive. We weren't hit too bad here in Florida, but the Boss still put in a good 9 hours of OT yesterday. 'Course you could have your pick of the states, but getting on with a contractor might be easier in the southern parts.....I'm not sure about else where. Someone else will have to holler (post).

Have you got any PM's about this Clive? Just wonderin' if we are just posting to see our posts or if someone is actually helpin' ya. :D

wudwlkr
04-16-2007, 06:51 AM
but, you realize that in order for you to come to the US and go to work with a contractor you are going to have to have a work permit? I'd take a look at what is required to get one of those before jumping in too deep. Can be an almighty PITA to get one.

BigClive
04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I know about the work permit thing. Shamefully you guys could come over here and work to your hearts content without one. It's a very one-sided system.

If There was an opportunity to do some work with a contractor in the USA I'd have to go to the US embassy to try to get a visa I think.

tramp67
04-17-2007, 02:36 AM
What is the time period that would work best for you, Clive? I know a couple contractors that have pushed work visas through for Canadian linemen. I don't imagine it would be too much different for you.:rolleyes:

BigClive
04-17-2007, 08:23 AM
What is the time period that would work best for you, Clive? I know a couple contractors that have pushed work visas through for Canadian linemen. I don't imagine it would be too much different for you.:rolleyes:

February to July is usually my quietest patch.

The biggest issue would be the fact that while I'm a well qualified and experienced electrician, I'm not a lineworker to trade. OK, I do pole work, use bucket trucks and spend most of the year working outdoors, but I'm still just an electrician. In all fairness I would only present myself as a grunt and go through the formal process of getting experience under my belt.

The idea of getting a spell of seasonal work even if it is just grunting is very appealing. If a USA/Canadian/NZ/Oz contractor could offer some work and assist in a temporary work visa then I'd probably jump at the chance.