PDA

View Full Version : The Greese Man: Another Blast From the Past

LostArt
04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
The other night the Boss and I was listening to the news and it was either on Anna Nicole Smith or IMUS. We had grown tired of hearing about one and then the other. I asked, "I wonder whatever happened to the Greese Man dear?" The Boss paused, gave me a puzzled look and then grinned. After asking where did that thought come from, he said, "Last I heard he insulted some liberals over in CA." I couldn't help but grin. I'm sure it was easy to do.

But, I wondered what happened to him. He was VERY contraversal and pretty blunt "back in the day". I grew up in the mid '70's listening to his show on WAPE in Jacksonville, FL. I can still remember the big APE call over the radio. You know.....kinda like the Tarzan Call. Heh.

I had told the Boss that I sure bet he could be found on the internet. And sure enough, I found him. And I noticed that he had started out up there in New York, moved to Washington, DC then to Jacksonville, FL during '75 to '82. Here is the link:

http://www.greaseman.org/

Do any of you remember him? Or have heard of him? Yeah, this thread is kinda like diggin' in an old 45 album box.....

thrasher
04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I lived outside DC when he was on the air there. He was fired because the day after a Florida Air flight slammed into the 14th street bridge (over the Potomac) due to icing of the wings he called the airline to ask the price of a ticket to the 14th street bridge. Since all but 3-4 people on that flight drowned in the half frozen river it did not go over well with anyone, including his usual listeners.

LostArt
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh man.....I guess not! But, I remember that. Well, not his remark, but the air flight.

I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did in Jacksonville (almost 7 yrs). Is he still in Washington, DC Thrasher? On the bio part of his link, it says he is with WMET-AM 1160 in Washington DC since 2005 to the present. He must do pretty good there....he has spent more time there than anywhere else. Or should I say he keeps going back there more than any place else. :D

Dave@PSE&G
04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
LA, The Greaseman was fired from WXRK in NY about 10 years ago, maybe more. His downfall was a comment directed at the incident in Texas where a black man was dragged to death behind a pickup truck. I didn't hear him say it, but apparently something happened in the news that made him say something along the line of "it's no wonder they drag them behind the trucks", or something like it. It was, and still is, a dispicable thing to say. Obviously, he was fired immediately for it. Personally, I didn't care much for his act. Not because of the fatal comment, but because I didn't think he was that funny to begin with. But, to each his own. His comment deserved the firing. Imus, on the other hand, got the short end of the stick. I would think that the worst part of it wasn't the race issue, but the fact that he called the team members "ho's". But I guess Al and Jesse get more media coverage playing the race card. Imus should have been penalized, but fired? Well, the bar has been raised now, because if you can fire a dj for saying that, you MUST go after the other forms of entertainment with similiar or more objectionable content, such as rap music. If they don't, the whole Imus thing will be exposed for what it really is, a witch hunt.

thrasher
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
LostArt:
I don't know if the GreaseMan is in DC or not anymore since I moved away in the ninties to southeast VA. He wasn't at the time I moved.

Dave:
Yeah Imus came across as a jerk. However if that is now the standard the radio stations need to take 90% of rap, and 20% of rock off the air. I don't listen to talk radio anymore, so I don't know what other jerks are running around on the airwaves.

LostArt
04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I don't listen to talk radio anymore, so I don't know what other jerks are running around on the airwaves.

I also change the channel if talk is on. There is also that John and BillyBob duo............

I listen to classic rock most of the time. But, it's only 25 minutes going and 25 minutes leaving. I guess on an average day, I listen to the radio about an hour tops. You guys might get a little more in than me if you are in the truck.

I'll listen to most any kind of music, but I don't want any part of the rap crap! And I really don't care if I offend anyone or not, it's just my preference, okaaaaaay?

[sarcasm mode on]

PLEASE NOTE that I posted crap instead of shit, yes I'm trying to clean up my act a bit for those that might get offended by my unladylike ways.

[/sarcasm mode off]

Dave@PSE&G
04-17-2007, 09:11 PM
LostArt:
I don't know if the GreaseMan is in DC or not anymore since I moved away in the ninties to southeast VA. He wasn't at the time I moved.

Dave:
Yeah Imus came across as a jerk. However if that is now the standard the radio stations need to take 90% of rap, and 20% of rock off the air. I don't listen to talk radio anymore, so I don't know what other jerks are running around on the airwaves.

Absolutely!! If they don't, then they are nothing but hypocrites who lynched Imus for being a moron. There is no standard, just opportunities for hate mongers to stir the pot. Radio has been "cleaning itself up" for the last couple of years now. They still have a long way to go. I've always believed that if you don't like what you hear on the radio, change the channel. But the thought police don't find that acceptable. That's why satellite radio is becoming very popular. If people want to hear uncensored material, they have an outlet. Personally, I am not easily offended by humor, or attempts at humor. Apparently the race baiters live for it, so they can keep the fire called racism glowing. I am a Howard Stern fan. Whether anyone else likes him or not, I do. I don't find any of his material offensive. Sure, he pushes the envelope on occasion, but so what. It's just words. When he was on regular radio, he had an obligation to watch his content. Now he says whatever he wants and the show is better than it has ever been.
Back to removing rap music: if you try to get rid of it, you'll be branded a racist. The rappers have constitutional rights to freedom of expression, but Imus doesn't.

LostArt
04-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Girl....
That's one thing I like bout ya...You Say "Shit" when ya got a mouth full.
Crap...
You bein all "politically correct" and Shit now???

Talk radio scares most people. Cause it gives em somethin to think about...like possibly they might be on the wrong page.

Or not! :D

Scares people? A damn radio talk show???? BULLCRAP!!! Even OPRAH doesn't want the dag gum RAP CRAP on her show! It's TRUE. When was the last time I watched Oprah??? LMAO! I have no idea. Years probably! :D

Well, the only character I like on that JohnBoy and Billy Show is Rayford. He is the old coot that tells the shit like it is! Now, if that ole coot had a talk show of his OWN, I'd listen to him! Actually, if I didn't know better....I'd swear he was our very on dbrown20! NO LIE! Only Rayford is a tiny little bit more charismatic. **tongue in cheek smirk**

Sorry Danny Boy......I just couldn't resist!! :D

thrasher
04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Of a morning I listen to a show called "Shut UP and Rock". They delibrately do not talk much if any. There's traffic and weather every fifteen minutes and once an hour they do the "Three things you need to know", which is thier version of the news. The rest is music and ads. Of an afternoon I usually stay on the same channel and its still mostly music and ads. The channel plays old and new hard rock, metal, and alternative; just not what they call "wimpy" music.

LostArt
04-18-2007, 05:03 PM
The channel plays old and new hard rock, metal, and alternative; just not what they call "wimpy" music.

http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/cool008.gif

Hush now Thrasher. We might have us some sentimental linemen here that listens to Barry Manallow. http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/party084.gif

thrasher
04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
About the only one I could think of that may be a Barry Manilow or Kenny G fan is probably NoName.

LostArt
04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
About the only one I could think of that may be a Barry Manilow or Kenny G fan is probably NoName.

http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/ass843xx.gif