PDA

View Full Version : 10 questions

Powerlineman Newcommer
04-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been long wanting to be a Power Lineman. I am currently a Sophmore in High School, but i have been doing alot of studying to Launch my career as a power lineman. I wil be enrolling in a 2-year program beginning in Aug. I am having to write an essay about my career choice for a class i am taking, so if any one can answer them, it will be a great deal of help. Not only for my Essay, but for a future refrence of what it takes to be a power lineman. Thank you.

1. What kind of training have you gone through/have to go through in order to be a power lineman?

2. What were you expecting or what should i expect as becomming a power lineman?

3. Where should i sey my goals as to be coming a power linaman?

4. What kind of plan should i have before attempting to launch my career?

5. Where did you or should i expect to be after so many years into the career

6. What are benefits in the power linman field?

7. What are some special areas i should have some expeirence in that will help me as a power lineman?

8. Would you say that being a power lineman is worth it?

9. What could you tell me about this field of work that would help me from finding out the "hard way"?

10. (For those with family) Do you say that Power Lineman is a good line of work to support a family?

**Once again..i thank any one who gives the time to answer

LostArt
04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a few questions.

1. What class do you have to write this in?

2. What state do you live in?

3. Why would you be interested in this line of work?

4. How did you find this site?

5. How long have you been interested in this type of career?

6. Do you like the outdoors? Why?

7. Share with us the first time you saw a POWERlineman work.

8. What is your favorite subject in school?

9. Do you personally know a lineman?

10. How many siblings do you have?

**I welcome you to this site.....

NoName
04-19-2007, 06:48 PM
1. There are Two ways of doing it. Utility Apprenticeship or an
Outside Apprenticeship. A Utility will give you a more stable home
environment. In construction you will be a travelling man. You will be
exposed to a lot of different experiences and many linemen in outside
construction. Utility will be the same guys, and the same work over and
over.

Usually 7,000 hours(3 1/2 years or more). Lots of bookwork and classes.
Mostly on your own time and with no pay. On the Job for the 7,000 hours
with incremental steps every 6 months or so.

Please do yourself a favor. Do it UNION!

2. As a beginner you won't know anything. Probably until a minimum of 6
months. The Journeymen will be hard on you especially when climbing,
but they will do it so you can learn and be trusted under pressure. You'll
be asked to do things that normal people would never do.

3. Learn from the ground up. Be a good groundman first. Learn what the
guys in the air need before they need it. Always have a good attitude,
and never run from work. Stay busy all the time. Ask Questions all the
time. LEARN EVERYTHING!

4. Plan on it being rough for a while. It's a lonely job for a while. There is
lots of stuff to learn and you are expected to know it and remember it.
Learn everything about rope and knots, rigging loads, get your balance
and get use to heights. Learn all you can about AC and DC theory. Go
down to the local Utility company and talk to the guys. Use the Internet.

5. Where you want to be and when the opportunity arises grab it. I feel a
Utility Company suits family life better than travelling. Lots of Divorces!
This career offers lots of opportunity. It's in all that you want to do. If
you become a respected lineman, you could do just about anything!

6. You better like it. Hot and sticky in the Summer. Cold as hell in the
Winter. There is no going home cause your cold, or tired. The
customers are more important. The pay is great though.

7. My first day on the job. Setting poles.

8. Recess; but you should like to do Math if possible.

9. Many! This is a Linemans site. We usually don't work alone.

10. A few.

LostArt
04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
8. What is your favorite subject in school?

8. Recess; but you should like to do Math if possible.

Not to distract you in any way NoName for you were definitely on a roll.....but wasn't that an answer to MY question instead of Newcomers?

Of course I am grinning! However, I must admit that I am impressed that you took the time to post. I know, I RARELY compliment those that slam me, but well....I call it as I see it.

Newcomer, thank you for answering my questions. I sincerely hope you reach your dreams. Never get discourage on the goal(s) you want to accomplish. If you want something bad enough, you will do it. :cool:

tramp67
04-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Hey, Newcomer! First, you can consider this as a great site to get an idea as to what you would have to put up with as an apprentice. You already got a response from a smartass, with questions instead of answers. Good job, LA! By the way, thanks for explaining why NoName's answers didn't seem to make much sense:confused: !
Second, Newcomer, you better be prepared to answer lots of questions before you get too many real answers, as I bet a lot of the guys on here won't bother spending their time telling you what you need to know if you don't offer up much information about yourself.:rolleyes:

LostArt
04-21-2007, 10:14 AM
You already got a response from a smartass, with questions instead of answers. Good job, LA!

LMAO! Oh pooh!

http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/ass841.gif

I can be one, but I was just wantin' to know some things first Tramp67! :p

playtime
04-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlineman Newcommer
Hey everyone,

I have been long wanting to be a Power Lineman. I am currently a Sophmore in High School, but i have been doing alot of studying to Launch my career as a power lineman. I wil be enrolling in a 2-year program beginning in Aug. I am having to write an essay about my career choice for a class i am taking, so if any one can answer them, it will be a great deal of help. Not only for my Essay, but for a future refrence of what it takes to be a power lineman. Thank you.

1. What kind of training have you gone through/have to go through in order to be a power lineman?

2. What were you expecting or what should i expect as becomming a power lineman?

3. Where should i sey my goals as to be coming a power linaman?

4. What kind of plan should i have before attempting to launch my career?

5. Where did you or should i expect to be after so many years into the career

6. What are benefits in the power linman field?

7. What are some special areas i should have some expeirence in that will help me as a power lineman?

8. Would you say that being a power lineman is worth it?

9. What could you tell me about this field of work that would help me from finding out the "hard way"?

10. (For those with family) Do you say that Power Lineman is a good line of work to support a family?

**Once again..i thank any one who gives the time to answer

1.) Everyone got to where they are via different routes/ situations. Today most lineman go through some type of lineman class in college or technical school. Then they go through a 4 year apprenticeship training program. This includes bookwork as well as on the job experience.

2.)Expect to work long hours in the worst weather you can imagine. Depending upon where you are located that could be extreme cold or heat. Dangerous situations that could include electrical hazzards, animals, weather, and the general public. On the upside expect a feeling of accomplishment that comes from doing one of the best jobs in the world. A new "family" that will watch your back and be there for you when you need them. You will spend as much time or more with this new family than you will spend with the family you have now.

3.) This is more of an individual answer. It depends on who you are. Are you a leader that wants to be a forman or superintendent someday? This may not be an easy question if you are not familiar with the way the system works. It may be easier to answer after you have seen it first hand. Working safe and making sure you and your coworkers make it home everyday is always the number one goal of any lineman.

4.) Where I'm located some of the high schools have a "shadow" program where they go to work for a day with someone that is in the field they are interested in. The next step would be to contact a school that has a lineworking program and check that out.

5.)You should be ready to take your journeyman linemans test in 4-5 years.

6.) You will learn what it means to do an honest days work and be proud of your accomplishments. You will stay fit both physically and mentally. As much of this job if not more is dependant on how well you think your job through and then preform it. There are many more but I will let some of the others weigh in on their thoughts.

7.)Some electrical background is good, but you wil also need some math/algebra, good people skills, and be in shape.

8.) If you have a long career in this field you will ask yourself this question alot. I did and the answer was always yes. This is an occupation that not everyone can do. It takes a special breed. Read the posts on other forums and learn a little from the guys talking on there. My satisfaction from this job comes from working storms. I love the appreciation that most people have when you turn their lights back on. Electricity is a service that everyone has become dependant upon and they forget that until they are without it.

9.) Safety first. Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything and everything. Ask what they are doing and why. No dumb questions in this line of work. There are tasks done daily that if you make a mistake you may not get a second chance. There are a lot of men that didn't have the luxery of learning the hard way.

10.) Absolutely. Almost all line workers make enough to live comfortably with their families. They are not millionaires but comfortable.

This is my personal outlook at these questions. I'm sure you will get more opinions. Next time you post on here though you are going to be limited to a max of three questions.