PDA

View Full Version : Small Quiz.

dbrown20
04-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought about not putting this stuff on here but, damn this thing is getting boring. I would appreciate it if everyone would wait awhile in order to give the apprentices a chance to respond.

#1. A guy wrap has black identity paint. What size guy wire does it fit? 2 answers possible.

#2. Most common rope size for handline? May be a difference of opinion here.

#3. What color code would you see on a preformed top tie for 4/0 ACSR? For #2 ACSR?

#4. For a 2/0 D.E. preform what color paint would it have?

#5. Bonus question. What is the name of Clive's favorite ewe?

#6. You're changing an arm on a H fixture, 138 KV. Dead and grounded. You and your pole buddy drop the middle phase to the X braces. The 2 outside phases are undinged and tied to the pole using rope slings. You cannot float them because of a hot crossing. You tie the 556 wire to the poles using what 2 knots? Your choice, maybe.

#7. You & your buddy are installing 2 piece preform ties using sticks. Some call them fanner ties. You're in top position and as your buddy starts to move into position you say. Stay put, I'll get it myself. What's your technique?

#8. What does a lineman mean when he says, step me?

#9. What is George W. Bush's IQ?

#10. Does the Fed. Govt. own any power plants that aren't Hydro?

#11. What are the designation of 3 most common distribution insulator tangent top ties?

#12. You temporary snub off some small wire to the butt of a pole with rope slings. For an easy release how do you tie the ropes around the pole?

#13. Again you snub off some small wire to a pole butt. This time you have no grips or preforms. In addition to the method of tying in #12, how do you hold the wire without grips? 2 possible answers , maybe more.

#14. Again snubbing off some small wire. No ropes, no slings, no grips, no preforms. How do you do it this time? dbrown20

LINETRASH
04-22-2007, 11:29 PM
#1: I believe 5/16"
#2: 1/2" or 5/8"
#3:Never used 4/0, is it black? #2 is red
#4:Never used 2/0, Pink?
#5:Easy, the Montana blond named suzie q.
#6:I would catch my phase with 1 loop around the pole, make another above the phase and secure with a square knot.
#7:Never used this type of tie.
#8:Step over my safety so I dont have to unbelt to go up or down.
#9:69, very feeble minded (I looked it up)
#10:I dont think so
#11:Not sure what you mean.. Preformed, hot stick and clamp type?
#12:At least 2 wraps and a couple half hitches, or a sheep shank.
#13:I call it a grapevine, a series of wraps around the wire ending in a half hitch.
#14:Take it around the pole a couple times then serve it around itself. B) Park a truck on top of it;-)

dbrown20
04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
like to address #5 first. Discreetness would be appreciated.

I once talked to a Basque sheepherder and he said a close estimate of the number of sheep in a large herd could be made by simply counting the black sheep, as there seems to be a definite ratio in the black vs white sheep.

It has come to my attention via one of Clive's mates, that the big fellow has developed a certain affinity for these dusky maidens of the sheep family. However he would appreciate that most people who peruse these pages keep this sorta like a family secret. This confidant revealed that he had not found out the name of Clive's favorite. He said the big chap is such a fickle fellow that it is difficult to accertain his current favorite. However he disclosed that when the canny Scotsman made his permanent choice, that he would reveal this lucky lass's name.

In the by and by he once again pled, that we fellow craftsmen would not reveal this secret throughout the UK as Clive desires to do it in his own sweet time. Baaaaaaaaarbra maybe? dbrown20

BigClive
04-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Alas, this particular bear has chosen to lead a solo life. Much as I may lean on the fence and admire those dusky ewes from afar, the probability of me shacking up with or indeed "doing" one is highly unlikely.

dbrown20
04-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Keep in mind that these are mostly opinions in some cases and not written in stone. Many people have many different methods. These are just a few.

#1. 5/16 or some designate them 6 M.

#2. Mostly 1/2 inch I think. Some bigger yes, but not so easy to handle.

#3. Both red.

#4. Blue.

#5. Baaaaaabra maybe. Come on Clive respond. If Clive books a flight to the U.S., will someone please warn me?

#6. I usually made a clove hitch with one overhand knot around the wire and a timber hitch around the pole. Matter of preference.

#7. I think some of these are manufactored by Preform. Anyway I first learned to put these on dead or with rubber gloves. Took the uncolored portion and hooked it around the insulator and wire with one hand and applied the colored portion with the free hand. First time I ever sticked them I used the same method. The Chance guy said. Let me show you how to install them. Anyway he took the colored end. Put the hold stick on it, reached across and pulled it toward him. Made one wrap with the hold stick and released and wrapped it on out just using the hold stick. It worked slick as you were able to install it by your self. I never forgot it.

#8. Yep. Step over my safety.

#9. You might be a little high.

#10. TVA even has some Nuclear plants and also some coal fired ones.

#11. C neck, F neck and J neck. Might be more, I don't know. These are the only ones I have dealt with.

#12. Always tried to use a round turn and 2 half hitches, Makes it easy to release later.

#13. Yep grapevine and also a rolling bend will work.

#14. Yep, just wrap it around the pole. dbrown20

PA BEN
04-24-2007, 08:59 AM
The Boss wants to change to preformed top tie’s, we do 99% of our work hot, with sticks. We use hot ties now with no problems at all. Change to just change? I don’t know, I’ve never put on a preformed top tie before. What do you guys have to say about them? Remember we are using hot sticks. :rolleyes:

dbrown20
04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
just tell him. This is the way we've always done it.

They're easy as pie to put on. Makes a better tie too. dbrown20

PA BEN
04-24-2007, 07:03 PM
just tell him. This is the way we've always done it.

They're easy as pie to put on. Makes a better tie too. dbrown20

Now why would I say something like that? Like alot of Linemen who get stuck in there ways, I'm not one of them.;) This new boss we have wants to change the world here, and if it's not from where he's from it's wrong. That being said, I ask here to see what other linemen have to say. :cool:

WAlinehand1970
04-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Pre forms are the way to go ben. couple of tips for ya
1) open the pre form just a hair, it will wrap around the glass easier. A little wd-40 or dm-7 helps too.
2) to put the rubber on the wire, open it up by bending away from the split. this will make it inside out. then put it in the mouth of a gator, or on the 2 edges of an open shotgun.
3) easy to put on from above. grab it with shotgun in the center and spin it. but spit it before you start wrapping, or it will be stuck!
4) wrap it with the wedding ring, and be careful to not bend it. or it will be screwed! wraps easier than armor rod.
Hope that helps, buddy.

PA BEN
04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks this helps a lot to here good things for a change. Do they work will when the phases are close to each other on the arm?
We came in to work Monday morning and all the snips on top of the hook on our hand lines were cut off by the boss over the weekend because the snap doesn’t have a load rating on it. We asked what if we got called out and had no hand lines, “tie a Boland in it.” He could have told us Monday morning to take them off but this is how he does things. He also had all the meat hooks cut off because they don’t have a rating ether. Even through you buy the block with the hook attached to it from the manufacture. Have to use a Becky.

BigClive
04-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Not the most diplomatic approach. He sounds a bit of an asshole to me.

Is he young and inexperienced or just old and power hungry?

WAlinehand1970
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the only part of a handline that is rated for a load is the 1250# rating on the block. the hook doesnt have a rating stamped on it, so did he cut those off too? and the rope is probably a year old (or older), better use new rope every day.
Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way!
As far as the preform ties on trimline construction: I havent used them on trimline, but the tails are only 18" to 24" or so, maybe a little longer on 954. they are real short on the small acsr wires. But if it was an issue?? cover?? and control the tails when you turn the preform onto the glass.
Trimline does make for some interesting challenges sometimes. might be fun!:cool:

dbrown20
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
The flat handline hook made by A.B.Chance does have a rating stamped on it. Since it's flat that is possible to do. By the way those type hooks are not worth a damn. I believe the rating is 700 lbs. Now the round ones made by Bashlin don't have a lb stamp on them I don't believe. They're the best I think. Probably tells in the catalog. I didn't realize those hand line sheaves had the rating stamped on them. The best ones I like are those Western Power brand made in Portland I believe. Sure do prefer the ones with gut hooks though.

As far as applying those ties with sticks, pretty easy, and like one guy said makes a better tie. The ones someone describes are probably Wrap Loc brand, maybe a preform product,I don't remember. They can be put on with just a pronged tie stick and a shotgun or like he said, with a wedding ring, or chicken catcher some call it. I've seen them put on with that damn claw thing, 2 shotguns or even with 2 pronged tie sticks. About anything. Myself and another guy were installing a wrap loc tie once and that sucker shot across the phase we were tieing in and another. We had installed fiber covers on the ajacent phase however and no harm was done. Made us say. "Man, it's a good thing we covered that other phase." Ha!

The 2 piece fanner type tie is easy to install as I said before. I think it's an even better tie that the wrap loc.

Went to a presentation once from the Salisbury demo guy. We had a real dumb guy named John ______. I won't give his last name. Anyway the demo guy was showing us all his different appurtenances and he presented this one device and said. This is good for 46 KV or something to that effect. John spoke up and said. Do you mean phase to phase or phase to ground? John was serious. The Salisbury guy, I believe thought John was messing with him, and didn't reply. John, however was serious.

I said. You know I used to work for a company where we took those Ubangi guts and put a piece of small poly rope on each end in those holes and then we could install them pretty easy with a couple of tie sticks. Didn't have to use that damn adapter gizmo. The demonstrator said. I know exactly what company you worked for. And he did and named it. dbrown20

LostArt
04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I thought about not putting this stuff on here but, damn this thing is getting boring. I would appreciate it if everyone would wait awhile in order to give the apprentices a chance to respond.

#1. A guy wrap has black identity paint. What size guy wire does it fit? 2 answers possible.

#2. Most common rope size for handline? May be a difference of opinion here.

#3. What color code would you see on a preformed top tie for 4/0 ACSR? For #2 ACSR?

#4. For a 2/0 D.E. preform what color paint would it have?

#5. Bonus question. What is the name of Clive's favorite ewe?

#6. You're changing an arm on a H fixture, 138 KV. Dead and grounded. You and your pole buddy drop the middle phase to the X braces. The 2 outside phases are undinged and tied to the pole using rope slings. You cannot float them because of a hot crossing. You tie the 556 wire to the poles using what 2 knots? Your choice, maybe.

#7. You & your buddy are installing 2 piece preform ties using sticks. Some call them fanner ties. You're in top position and as your buddy starts to move into position you say. Stay put, I'll get it myself. What's your technique?

#8. What does a lineman mean when he says, step me?

#9. What is George W. Bush's IQ?

#10. Does the Fed. Govt. own any power plants that aren't Hydro?

#11. What are the designation of 3 most common distribution insulator tangent top ties?

#12. You temporary snub off some small wire to the butt of a pole with rope slings. For an easy release how do you tie the ropes around the pole?

#13. Again you snub off some small wire to a pole butt. This time you have no grips or preforms. In addition to the method of tying in #12, how do you hold the wire without grips? 2 possible answers , maybe more.

#14. Again snubbing off some small wire. No ropes, no slings, no grips, no preforms. How do you do it this time? dbrown20

I made the Boss ( you know, my HUSBAND) answer these questions....

#1 - 5/16

#2 - 1/2 inch some maybe bigger

#3 - The Boss said Red for #2 and he hasn't worked the other and didn't know.

#4 - He didn't know.

#5 - He laughed and said, "Who is this Clive feller? Does he get picked on more than you dear?" Hehehehe.....

#6 - Couldn't remember the name of the knot, but would do it.

#7 - Is not that familar with sticking.

#8 - Weird. He only grinned. http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/doh001.gif

#9 - He only laughed Danny and then preceeded to ask me questions about YOU! :D

#10 - He was curious to your answer since he didn't know.

#11 - C neck, F neck, and J neck. If it was more than that, he didn't know.

#12 - He said grapevine....but wanted to know what my boyfriend lineman buddy had to say. Don't look at me!!!

#13 - "Hell, just wrap it around the damn pole! What did this @sshole say?"

Hehehehe.............Don't take it hard Danny..........I made him do it!!!! LOL!

PA BEN
04-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the only part of a handline that is rated for a load is the 1250# rating on the block. the hook doesnt have a rating stamped on it, so did he cut those off too? and the rope is probably a year old (or older), better use new rope every day.
Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way!
As far as the preform ties on trimline construction: I havent used them on trimline, but the tails are only 18" to 24" or so, maybe a little longer on 954. they are real short on the small acsr wires. But if it was an issue?? cover?? and control the tails when you turn the preform onto the glass.
Trimline does make for some interesting challenges sometimes. might be fun!:cool:

I always use cover even when it's not close. As far as the hand line hook we use, it's the flat type with the load rating on it, I personality don't like it, I prefer the one dbrown likes better.

Patriot
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
1. 5/16 or 10mm
2. 5/8"
3. 4/0 pink #2 red
4. Grey
5. velcro
6. Bowline
7. Once you get a wrap on the end you are holding with a clamp stick, the colored end, you take the second tie and wrap it through and finish it then finish the first one you started. Easy tie to tie alone, as far as I am concerned and a damn good tie to boot.
8. step over a belt?
9. 135
10. yes
11. c f and j
12. two wraps and then a bow
13. monkeys fist?
14.wrap the wire around the pole and back on itself?

This is fun, do some more but skip the fricken knots! :-)

WAlinehand1970
04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I looked yesterday at the handline that I have here at home and the "flat-style" hook that we use has a 650# load rating on it. I never realized that it had a rating on it! Thanx for making me curious.:o

tramp67
04-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks this helps a lot to here good things for a change. Do they work will when the phases are close to each other on the arm?
We came in to work Monday morning and all the snips on top of the hook on our hand lines were cut off by the boss over the weekend because the snap doesn’t have a load rating on it. We asked what if we got called out and had no hand lines, “tie a Boland in it.” He could have told us Monday morning to take them off but this is how he does things. He also had all the meat hooks cut off because they don’t have a rating ether. Even through you buy the block with the hook attached to it from the manufacture. Have to use a Becky. I’m done PA :eek:
Preform top ties are easy to use, and hold great. Using a shotgun to wrap them around the glass and a wedding ring to wrap around the conductor is my choice too, works slick!
Ask him if he knows how much you have to derate the load rating of the handline rope for the bowline knot you have to tie in it. See if he knows how much to derate for the Becky too. Maybe you need to get some rated nylon slings to hang the block??:confused:
Put in an order for some wire rope to replace your handlines with, you don't know how much the elements have deteriorated that rope after all, do you? Of course, you'll have to put a rolling ground on that wire rope handline now, and better have your boss check out the fuse coordination on the system before you do any work in case that new handline gets into anything.
Don't forget to set the bucket truck up in the yard every morning, wipe down the boom, and run it through its' full range of movements with the ground controls as per the manfacturer's instructions. You never know what happened to that truck between the time you parked it yesterday and when you came to work this morning. Guy sounds like a real a@@@ole to me. The kind of jerk that makes me want to see who can play the game the hardest before someone cries "uncle"! Hint: it's never been me!:p After a few weeks of you never making it out of the yard from having to do all the inspections of everything like the manufacturers tell you to do, he might get the hint.
I feel for you, PaBen!!