PDA

View Full Version : Osha Rules

PA BEN
05-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Can anyone help me to find the OSHA rule that requires a contractor to follow the same safety rules that the Utility they are working for requires of there own employees. Not spec’s but safety rules. An employer can have rules equal to or more restrictive then OSHA requires. I heard that if a Contractor comes on the property they have to follow the same rules.:)

thrasher
05-23-2007, 09:47 AM
That is one of the proposals in the rewrite that OSHA is working on now. However I will be suprised if it makes it to law. Imagine the problem from the contractors side, every time he changes job sites he has a new set of rules to live by and to teach all his crews. Then how do you respond to a Hurricane?? This would effect more than just contractors. When we sent crews to Katrinia the first place they went was operating out of a county fair building 30 miles inland because their office did not survive. How are they supposed to train anyone in their rules when they don't even have a building anymore? We and every company I've ever known always tell our workers to follow our rules. In fact I tell my crews that if the other company has a problem with us following our rules they are to pack up and leave.

sad 67
05-23-2007, 12:54 PM
We have a contract with our contractors that states "they shall follow all federal, state, and local laws." If a company requires a contractor to follow their rules they must train, and prove they are proficient, and police the contractor. if they are obvisouly breaking an OSHA rule we have the right to stop work, and discuss the breech of contract. NO WAY should a contractor be told they have to follow a different companies rules unless that company wants to take on that responsibility.

KingRat
05-24-2007, 07:47 AM
We have a contract with our contractors that states "they shall follow all federal, state, and local laws." If a company requires a contractor to follow their rules they must train, and prove they are proficient, and police the contractor. if they are obvisouly breaking an OSHA rule we have the right to stop work, and discuss the breech of contract. NO WAY should a contractor be told they have to follow a different companies rules unless that company wants to take on that responsibility.Well put-Thats the way it is and the way it should stay.

ExCajunRat
05-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Obviously no one here has ever worked for Entergy as a contractor. They will tell you up front that they expect all contractor's to follow their rules. Not doing so will send you packing in a heart beat.

wudwlkr
05-25-2007, 07:11 AM
There is no such OSHA rule, each employer is required to develop their own work/safety practices. There is also no such requirement in OSHA's proposed rule changes. The proposed rules would make the O&M rules in 1910.269 and the constructio rules in 1926 subpart V almost identicla and both would have language requireing closer communication and more data about system conditions being shared between "host" and "contractor", there is no requirement that the contractor must use the host's safety rules.

thrasher
05-25-2007, 10:40 AM
In the proposed rules 1926.950 section (c) (1) (ii) requires an employee of the host utility to report any violation of OSHA rules observed being committed by the contractor employees. Now I don't know about your company but we don't teach "this is an OSHA rule" and "this is a company rule" we teach these are the rules period. So if this clause goes in effect every Host company employee is going to expect every contractor to do things the way the Host company does it. Now if this is what you want just put it in your contract. We simply require the contractor to follow National, State, and Local law, further they are required to provide us with a copy of thier Safety Manual. We have had our company lawyer look at the regulation and he says it opens the door for lawsuits if the host employees don't write up everything they are trained to expect, not just Osha rules.

KingRat
05-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Obviously no one here has ever worked for Entergy as a contractor. They will tell you up front that they expect all contractor's to follow their rules. Not doing so will send you packing in a heart beat.Thats right c-rat-When we were there on Katrina storm we were instructed to abide by Entergy safety policies. Forgot about that-

tramp67
05-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Obviously no one here has ever worked for Entergy as a contractor. They will tell you up front that they expect all contractor's to follow their rules. Not doing so will send you packing in a heart beat.

I worked a hurricane and worked two maintenance contracts on Entergy property in Texas. I was never told we needed to follow Entergy's safety rules. I was working for two different Union contractors, maybe they don't care for the safety policies:confused: of the non-union contractors.:cool:

Koga
05-28-2007, 01:45 PM
The folks you worked for were advised of our policy during the hurricanes. And excajun rat is correct. Not following the rules will send you packin no questions asked.Ive seen it happen more than once. Also all contractors that work for us on a daily basis are required to follow our saftey rules.

Koga