PDA

View Full Version : Interview

22900013A
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi Guys,
I a couple of weeks I am going for an interview/assesment with SSE in oxford - I know this is a UK thing, but can anyone offer any tips on what I need to look out for? I understand its going to be a mix of practical stuff and verbal interview questions.

Thanks,
Dan.

Alan Mac
05-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Dan, I work for SSE in Dorset. I can't give any specific tips, just wanted to say "good luck" and let us know how you get on.

Mac

22900013A
05-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Dan, I work for SSE in Dorset. I can't give any specific tips, just wanted to say "good luck" and let us know how you get on.

Mac

Hi Mac, thanks for the good wishes, I will sure let you all know. Im certainly keeping my fingers crossed for this.
Cheers.

h0tgl0v3r
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
..this may seem like a dumb question but; what position are you interviewing for?

I have worked for UK companies large and small as a lineman, instructor and manager, I wont be able to give you specific information but should be able to give you an idea of what to expect if you are going for a lines job!!
:confused:

22900013A
05-29-2007, 03:44 PM
..this may seem like a dumb question but; what position are you interviewing for?

I have worked for UK companies large and small as a lineman, instructor and manager, I wont be able to give you specific information but should be able to give you an idea of what to expect if you are going for a lines job!!
:confused:

Hi,
Its a trainee linesmans position. I have done some digging into what the job entails (hence why I applied) I am just wondering what kind of things they are going to be looking for other than a head for heights (not a problem as done a fair bit of abseiling, rock climbing etc over the years) and an ability to learn. My understanding is its on faults repair responding to power cuts but could also involve constructin duties.

Alan Mac
05-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Dan
The climbing and abseiling is a good thing, I had that under my belt too when I went for my interview. They will be looking for someone who has the ability to work at height and be comfortable, keen and willing to learn and to ask questions. If you can demonstrate a good attitude towards safety then that will go in your favour.

Basically you need to be a practical, hands-on type of person. I've seen some guys come through who had qualifications in things I never heard of, but they were crap ten feet off the ground.

Keep in touch

Mac

22900013A
05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Dan
The climbing and abseiling is a good thing, I had that under my belt too when I went for my interview. They will be looking for someone who has the ability to work at height and be comfortable, keen and willing to learn and to ask questions. If you can demonstrate a good attitude towards safety then that will go in your favour.

Basically you need to be a practical, hands-on type of person. I've seen some guys come through who had qualifications in things I never heard of, but they were crap ten feet off the ground.

Keep in touch

Mac

Abseling etc was a few years ago, but I did a fair bit of time in the scouts and the army cadets so did pleanty of assault courses and so on..I guess that must be useful? I already work for an SSE sub-company so I am aware of the safety focus that pevades the firm.
Hands on...hmmm, well I can do things like take engines to bits and put them together again...

Thanks for the help, will certainly let you all know how I get on.

Doggboi
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I would imagine that there are a few basics that hiring managers look for all over the world, and while they may seem common sense... it isnt always so common.

Be polite
Use proper grammer
If you know how many people are going to be on the panel that Intero.. Interviews you , I might suggest bringing a copy of your resume for each member. ( make sure it is clean and well thought out , get help here from microsoft word if need be )
Dress appropriately.. since its a field position I would say dress nice but not too nice.. and remove any jewelery ( earings, piercings )

These are just a few items that some people take for granted when interviewing. If you have questions about the job itself I would recommend asking those.. but hold off on pay and benefit questions for a later interview or thier offer.

22900013A
05-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks Doggboi, thats good stuff. I already asked what to wear, they sai dmy usual work uniform and safety boots, they are lending me a harness, camp-ons etc. I think it is more practical assesment than interview but as always I guess I won't know until I arrive.

boyakasha
05-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks Doggboi, thats good stuff. I already asked what to wear, they sai dmy usual work uniform and safety boots, they are lending me a harness, camp-ons etc. I think it is more practical assesment than interview but as always I guess I won't know until I arrive.

Cause ya gonna do well lad ya from Yorkshire:D

BigClive
05-31-2007, 07:06 AM
OK young man, to test your existing ability I'd like you to put on these spikes and belt and climb up to that cross-arm and change out an insulator.

Climb a f*ckin' pole! What do you think I am, a f*ckin' monkey? You can stick your f*ckin' job up your f*ckin arse you dumb pen-pushing CLOWN!

Perfect! You can start in our customer service department tomorrow.

Squizzy
05-31-2007, 08:26 AM
No you're wrong Clive you should know by now if you can't do something you become a boss!!:D

Alan Mac
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
You know what BC, when I saw your post I thought bang on, with one addition.

"And while you're stickin' your f*ckin' job up your f*ckin arse, you can poke the pole up there too. With the crossarm on".

Then I saw Squizzys reply, I'm afraid he's even closer to the truth than you are, so many of them get promoted out of the way.

Mac

22900013A
05-31-2007, 12:32 PM
This is interesting...I already work in "customer service" I won't say anything more as I don't know who reads this board.

Cheers.

22900013A
05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Cause ya gonna do well lad ya from Yorkshire:D

Ah,reet, ah dint realise it woh just mi origins what matterd, I guess a`ll be sound then eh, shame ah can't gerra job wit YEB but ey-oh.

`owever I bettah stawt tawkin lyke um frum dahn sarf seein` as its souvern eletwick and all...

:D

BigClive
05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Then I saw Squizzys reply, I'm afraid he's even closer to the truth than you are, so many of them get promoted out of the way.

At least you can take comfort in the knowledge that shit management isn't just a UK affliction. They have it in other countries too. :(

It's actually why I went out on my own in the first place. When you know your subject well it's galling to be told to do it in a completely nonsensical manner by someone who hasn't actually done it before.

Ever heard of a Scottish contractor called E J Stiell (Now absorbed into McAlpines)? That's who I served my time with. The only way into management with them was through the tools. It made a big difference.

22900013A
06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok guys, my assesment day is tommorrow, will let you know how I get on. I`m looking forward to it!

:D

hillbilly
06-07-2007, 07:08 AM
I have always thought that correct grammar,and all that in-tells came from our mother land.Damn.....you fellers aint talkin no better than a plain ole kuntry boy.Anyway how did it go boy,did you get your job?If not come on over the big pond,I am sure theres a spot for a grammaticly currupt non English speeking Englishman here in the good ol U.S.A.

22900013A
06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I have always thought that correct grammar,and all that in-tells came from our mother land.Damn.....you fellers aint talkin no better than a plain ole kuntry boy.Anyway how did it go boy,did you get your job?If not come on over the big pond,I am sure theres a spot for a grammaticly currupt non English speeking Englishman here in the good ol U.S.A.

Well I sure enjoyed myself! It was a long hard day and it took quite a bit of driving to get there but it was worth it. I think they were impressed but should know one way or the other by the weekend, I have a good feeling about stuff though.

hillbilly
06-07-2007, 06:32 PM
I hope your ready.Sounds as though you may very well be.I would like to come work there sometime,sounds as though you guys take real good care of one another.I cant get over you being called a Linesman or person.I was taught some time back that a Lineman works one phase at a time.A Linesman trys to work two and thats pretty much a fatal habit.
Just be careful bud,and go home the same way you came,I know your mom needs ya ha ha.

22900013A
06-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Well guys, I got the job. I start in September. :)

Doggboi
06-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Congrats Numbers!

Pootnaigle
06-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Lemme welcome you to the finest trade a man can have,The comaraderie amongst Lineman is extrorinary and you now have the opportunity to become one of us.Learn your craft well and reap every reward it offers and thats considerable.

Trampbag
06-17-2007, 07:36 PM

In about 10 or 12 years, when you got that huge mortgage and your wife, who just keeps getting fatter and is pregnant with your 7th kid, you’ll be in a winter windstorm on some Yorkshire Moor you’ll wonder “Why in hell didn’t I stay in customer service???”

Congratulations and good luck….I think!!

LostArt
06-17-2007, 07:40 PM

Congrats Landy! I'm glad it's going your way buddy! :D

**laughs at Trampbag's posts**

BigClive
06-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Good result Landy. As a reward here are two pictures of Landy's.

The first is a BBC Landy and the second is the one used by the special FX company I was working with today. I was driving the FX Landy and the boss of the company was driving the Green Goddess fire engine! (TV scenes involving LOTS of water everywhere.)

I have to say that the driving position for someone as big as me is a bit cramped. It also lacks the ability to turn on a sixpence quite significantly. :rolleyes:

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bbclandy.jpg

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/fxlandy.jpg

tolex42
06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Good result Landy. As a reward here are two pictures of Landy's.

The first is a BBC Landy and the second is the one used by the special FX company I was working with today. I was driving the FX Landy and the boss of the company was driving the Green Goddess fire engine! (TV scenes involving LOTS of water everywhere.)

I have to say that the driving position for someone as big as me is a bit cramped. It also lacks the ability to turn on a sixpence quite significantly. :rolleyes:

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bbclandy.jpg

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/fxlandy.jpg

Hey, the steering wheels are on the wrong side! And where do you use that aluminium ladder?

boyakasha
06-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Told thee Mucker..

Your down to earth yorkshire nature got you over the line.
Well done mate and all the best for the future. Please stay safe:D

Alan Mac
06-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Well done Dan I'll probably bump into you at some point. Good luck.

Mac

BigClive
06-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Aha, so the number has a name.

Dan, Dan the Landy man. ;)

But the question is... Are you going to get to drive a Landy at work these days?

Alan Mac
06-18-2007, 07:09 AM
All the line crews for SSE drive landrovers, the jointer linesman teams usually use a transit so he should be OK.

Mac

browny
06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
well done mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigClive
06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
All the line crews for SSE drive landrovers, the jointer linesman teams usually use a transit so he should be OK.

Mac

I didn't realise so many Landy's were still in use.

My own personal van is a transit. I tried all the different types and the Ford Transit was miles better for comfort.

22900013A
06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys,
Well they have a fair few landies at the Depot...I expect I would play with them from time to time at least, but Transit vans seemed more common.

I should be having a letter soon offering me the job and I have to respond to that. I have been looking at house prices in Oxford...frightening, seriously.

Will keep you all posted!

Trampbag
06-19-2007, 11:32 PM
What did I say about the mortgage???

22900013A
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
What did I say about the mortgage???

Plan is this - rent for two years until I qualify, then buy a place. Should work out Ok I think.

Oh, had a chat with boss-to-be tonight, says I get a van whilst training then get my own landy afterwards. :D

22900013A
08-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello again everyone, I start in a week and half, really looking forward to it! Will try to keep you all updated on how I get on.

Dan.

Alan Mac
08-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Congratulations Dan, may get to meet you sometime.

Mac

22900013A
08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Congratulations Dan, may get to meet you sometime.

Mac

Hi Alan, maybe so, should be good.
Sadly the house I thought I was going to has fallen through, but just had a call off someone else with something that sounds a million times better, guess its all swings and roundabouts, huh?

22900013A
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey guys, just though I would drop by with a little update.
After I was last here I started work at SSE Oxford, did about four weeks of "orientation" I suppose you would call it before going to the training school for 10 weeks. This was probably one of the most challenging experiences of my life but i am pleased to say I passed at the end with good exam results, and authorisations for substation entry upto 132kV, and also authorised to work live under personal supervision on LV.
I am actually now working on a unit doing BLX which means I don't do any live work currently as its more construction, and its HV of course. i`m enjoying the work though and hoping to crack on with getting my LV signed off when I go back in the depot but I think once fully qualified I may end up on BLX permanently.

Hope everyone is well,
Dan