PDA

View Full Version : Bucket hit on video.

BigClive
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Nasty video of a bucket being just a bit too low over a road and getting hit by a bus!

http://www.break.com/index/bus-slams-into-construction-crane3.html

Mike-E
06-11-2007, 07:18 PM
A crew that works for the same co. as I do recently had a knuckle of a bucket boom get hit by a rental moving truck. The flagger tried to stop them before and after the hit, but they just kept going. The moving truck had more damage than the boom. The worker in the bucket was OK. I don't know if the co. "red tagged" that truck yet:confused: .

BigClive
06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I've got to admit, that video makes me squirm. When the back of my boom was hit by a turning bus last year it made me wonder what would have happened if the bus had swung just a little further out and really caught the boom with force. There's a possibility I wouldn't have been typing this right now.

Sometimes it can be a bit tight for space on busy city streets, and even when you've coned out well beyond the projection of the back of the boom, all it takes is a bus "sliding out" (the drivers description of what happened) as it goes round a corner to cause an impact.

First and hopefully the last time it happens to me. After the incident we had a serious look at the way we do things and decided to just go over the top in barricading and coning in future.

Squizzy
06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
I know what you are saying I prefer to use telescopic boom as they don't have so much overhang if any..

skylifter
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
This happens a lot, but I have never seen the whole thing!
The "accident watch" sections of the aerial lift magazines publish short reports of all of the aerial lift accidents and incidents, and every month there are 1-3 articles about lifts being hit by moving vehicles.
This should be required viewing for every hand that ever has to work near roadways.

Roy56
07-01-2007, 10:34 AM
WOW! That site has a lot of great videos including that one! Thanks!

butterbean
07-21-2007, 07:23 PM
holy crap!!

amazing that the guy was alright.