PDA

View Full Version : Work in Jerzy

Sparks33183
06-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Can anyone explain to me why work in NJ all of a sudden just got slow....Just go laid off today and appearently there are several (I beleive 7) apprentices on the bench.....I thought there was alot of work here....

tolex42
06-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Can anyone explain to me why work in NJ all of a sudden just got slow....Just go laid off today and appearently there are several (I beleive 7) apprentices on the bench.....I thought there was alot of work here....

In construction line work, work comes and work goes............

TXUNIONWKR
06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
It's slow right now all over. I have been on the phone all day trying to find a time job. May have to settle for 50's for now.

Box
06-29-2007, 06:54 PM
work is never slow here. i have plenty of jobs every day and just about more overtime than i could possibly handle available. that's why it is better to work for a utility rather than a contractor outfit. i don't know why some of you guys are not knocking down the big name utility's door while you're sitting at home laid off for 6 months.

linescum
06-30-2007, 08:45 AM
what the hells a layoff i've been working this trade for over 20 years and the most time i ever been layed off was 2 months and that was because the utility got rid of the contractors for some restructuring.I haven't had any time off for going on 16 years now. like i said line works been very very good to me.....

not working any OT here but i get my 40 and i'm home everynight...126 is in bad need of men................

Sparks33183
07-01-2007, 06:38 AM
I understand linework comes and goes like that, but im only a first step apprentice, I would really apprecieate if i didnt make my career out of being an apprentice, i would really enjoy to hold that J.L. ticket some day before i have kids and they retire, ya know what im saying....Eh i guess u just have to take the good with the bad, Ill keep my high hopes and just sign that book everyday...

Sparks33183
07-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Ok ppl, neat finally got back to me, after a week of layoff, they are sending me to Rochester, NY, upstate new york, now the drive is almost four hours, so i will not be commuting, therefore i will be getting a motel room, the cheapest i found was fifty a night...Being a first step apprentice and already paying rent and bills does anyone have advice for me...Neat doesnt tell me anything, i dont know if there are any other travelers or what not, so any advice would be greatly apprecieated...thanks
Joe

LostArt
07-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Ok ppl, neat finally got back to me, after a week of layoff, they are sending me to Rochester, NY, upstate new york, now the drive is almost four hours, so i will not be commuting, therefore i will be getting a motel room, the cheapest i found was fifty a night...Being a first step apprentice and already paying rent and bills does anyone have advice for me...Neat doesnt tell me anything, i dont know if there are any other travelers or what not, so any advice would be greatly apprecieated...thanks
Joe

Oh do I ever remember those days Joe. I have no idea if times are better or not, since it's been years since the Boss had to pack a duffle bag and haul it up the country for two weeks at a time before coming home. I know once we did invest in a used camper trailer and he did use that and it was less costly. However, I guess we need to put out an all call for the Tramps on this one Joe. I have no idea about the north or what is available or the pros and cons.

Good luck though,
LA

Sparks33183
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, but i dont have a truck to pull a camper so therefore i need to stay in a motel room. But thanks anyway, im looking forward to going, just the motel room thing is bothering me, no biggy, everything works out in the end!!!!

lager
07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Sparks, at least your willing to do what you have to do to make this career. I truely believe it will pay off in the long run. How do you like it so far? I'm still waiting forth call from NEAT. I have a wife and 2 kids, along with a new house we just built ($$$$ damn mortgage!) But when I get the call I will be willing to travel anywhere to get through the apprenticeship. Good luck to you, I hope it all goes well for you!

hillbilly
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
You guys should think about Ca.,there's a couple of Apes in our yard from Pa.and other areas.If your hall wont send you to work ask about crossing into another district.Hey it beats starvin.Besides it is hard to find good help that are willing to go to great lengths to learn.

markwho
08-07-2007, 11:42 PM
sparks 33183, What local are you working out of in Jersey? My son will be applying to NEAT before he heads to Georgia for school. I understand it takes a while to get the call. He is not too keen on travelling for work though. Hoping this might change after he is away from home awhile. I try to tell him that he may have to travel to get his time in until he tops out.
Mark