PDA

View Full Version : Cross Arm Knot

BELT AND HOOKS
06-30-2007, 10:37 AM
When Hanging A Set Of Double Cross Arms On Belt And Hooks. What Kind Of Knot Do You Tie On The Cross Arm To Pull It Up? I'm Guessing A Clove With A Half Hitch. Can Anyone Help. Thanks

Budda
06-30-2007, 08:41 PM
What I do is, a clove hitch on the bottom and a half hitch on the top.

"little beaver"
06-30-2007, 11:37 PM
The easiest method to handle a Xarm off the pole is to tie it just off center(when it has to come by something on the way up). Then it will come up end first, but still be light enough to handle. If you have to, just take a piece of tie wire on the one end and you can easily slip it off while the grunt holds the weight.

I've seen lots sent up tied on the one end and a 1/2 hitch on the other. If you use this method, you still have to handle the weight so you're doing it the 'hard way'.

I remember one job I was on as an Apprentice; it was a 60Kv rebuild. The new Xarms were 10'x6"x6" with stack insulators. However, the middle phase was about 3' above the arm. So we would untie the two outside phases and throw them on the top insulator. Then hang the hand line on the wire and have the grunt pull the Xarm up ( tied on center) with the PU with the insulators already on the arm. It's called the EASY WAY!!

Swollen Tongue
07-13-2007, 09:44 AM
I had the grunts tie the handline near the bottom of the crossarm then take a sling line and with a neet little bow tie it around the top of the crossarm and handline together. grunts pull the arm up and when the sling line gets to you just untie the bow knot and let him pull the rest of the arm up to you.

Meat
07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Swollen I agree with you that's the best way I have found but always make sure you throw the picking string at the grunt and hit him on top of the head.Be safe!

49pan
07-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Clove hitch on the low end and a P-line on the high side with a half of a bow tie, this will make it easy to untie. All you will have to do is pull one string and the knot is out. Have the grunt pull and the arm is there. When done, As Meat said throw the string at the grunt and tell him good job. BE SAFE

"little beaver"
07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Clove hitch on the low end and a P-line on the high side with a half of a bow tie, this will make it easy to untie. All you will have to do is pull one string and the knot is out. Have the grunt pull and the arm is there. When done, As Meat said throw the string at the grunt and tell him good job. BE SAFE

Can any of you explain why you tie the X-ARM on one end???...........other than a case of FUNCTIONAL FIXATION!!! Try doing it the easy way.............Tie it just off the balance so you don't have to handle the weight. Tieing it on one end you still have to pick it up and put it on the bolt. My way the grunt does all the work.

Swollen Tongue
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Little beaver, it makes it easier fo the grunt to tag the arm around phone drops, cable TV drops as well as our oun services

"little beaver"
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Sure Bev.
Done it this way all my life, while hangin crossarms in Backlots, off the pole. T
he "KEY" is, ya gotta explain it to your grunt, BEFORE ya do it...so he understands the concept.

The Concept, my friend is....

When the Crossarm comes up to ya on the handline, ya hold the top of the crossarm, when it gets up to ya...just put your hand on it to steady it.... pull the untie end of the half bowtie....then ya look down at your grunt and say..."Ok...up easy". He brings it up, and you just guide it across your belt, and lay it on your belt. No strain what so ever on you. like ya said, "the grunt does all the work".

Then, just flip off the hitch on the end, and hang the puppy. :cool:

Here's somethin else.
When you're hangin the "Jewelry arm" on a set of Doubles...same thing works.
ONLY,...ya hook the hitch to the bottom of the arm and just do a "Loop" around the DA Bolt on the top of the arm.
"So Sweet....";)

I did it that way for about the first ten years or so. Then I was on a job where we had some 9' arms to hang, wicked heavy. My grunt was an Irishman from County Tipperary by the name of Larry Ryan.

I had hung arms before by tieing on the balance. ( These were 9'X10' timbers on a 60KV rebuild with nothing else on the pole. As you can see,you wouldn't be 'dragging' them across your belt.)

But I was a victim of 'FUNCTIONAL FIXATION' as far as distribution was concerned........couldn't get out of the box!!!!!! So Larry says, " why don't we tie it just off balance, it will come up past the Tel and I can hold the weight while you put it on the through bolt".

Think about it, it's way better than 'dragging' it across your belt. The grunt does all the work!! I never worked with anyone again that didn't start using that method as it only makes sense.

Remember what my Dad use to say, "it's a poor man that you can't learn something from!!"

"little beaver"
07-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Little beaver, it makes it easier fo the grunt to tag the arm around phone drops, cable TV drops as well as our oun services

Hey ST, read my post carefully. Tie it just off the balance so that it comes up end first. It helps to split the handline. ( My handlines always have a hook in them with a snap so that they split quickly and easily). Take the line and go around the arm twice and back into the hook so that it 'chokes' itself and won't slip. No knots, makes it easy to untie and also if you are just 'off the balance' the rope isn't in the way of the bolt hole.

Sometimes after we had power drills, I would take and ream out the hole with a 13/16 bit especially if it were a set of 9' doubles.

(I also have a method of hanging K-Frames/ wishbone X-Arms all in one piece by using a jack/hoist between the two sections)

Swollen Tongue
07-26-2007, 08:38 PM
LB, I'm sure that works fine. I guess it whatever your used to. I don't split my handline though. If I do then I have to try and tag the arm around whatevers in the way. I'd rather let the grunt do that.

"little beaver"
07-27-2007, 12:25 AM
LB, I'm sure that works fine. I guess it whatever your used to. I don't split my handline though. If I do then I have to try and tag the arm around whatevers in the way. I'd rather let the grunt do that.

Hey ST, just give a try sometime and see how it works. As I said, I used the 'conventional' method for the first few years, but because I was small ( 5'71/2 " 160lbs ) I was always looking to get 'the edge'!!

When I QB the HS eight man football team, I used to make up some really 'out of the box' plays in the huddle. Same thing there...........survival. If I didn't figure out someway to get 'the edge', I'd be 'riding the pine'.