PDA

View Full Version : Pike fatality

adamr_41
07-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Around noon today close to Lancaster Ohio. A Groundman for Pike Electric was killed when he was sawing off an old pole from the ground when the tip contacted an un-covered conductor. No rubber gloves was reported being worn. He was 22 years old and had been with the company for a couple of years. May God be with his family.

Be safe guys!

LostArt
07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh my. One so very young. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

--LA

WAlinehand1970
07-09-2007, 11:19 PM
My thoughts are with the groundman's family.
This sounds like another case of hurry up and do it wrong!
Another easily preventable death!:mad:

wudwlkr
07-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Christopher Hall, age 22 from Logan, OH per TV news.

Phase apparently was covered by line hose but a stirrup extending below hose was left uncovered. Pole being cut was held by boom truck and when cut pivoted over and top of pole or pole ground hit exposed stirrup. Hall apparently dropped chainsaw and grabbed butt of pole to keep it from swinging out of control. Was not wearing rubber gloves. According ro reports I heard there were no signs of burns and the thinking currently is that he just received enough current flow across his body to casue cardiac arresst.

BigClive
07-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Another situation where a defibrillator could have saved a young life.

powerhotdog
07-14-2007, 09:49 PM
that' s what I was thinkin BC

ZapCzar
07-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Just a few hindsight thoughts, tag line, cut top 6 ft out of pole ,strip pole ground b4 cutting. My condolences to his family.

butterbean
07-21-2007, 07:15 PM
how sad...

billfoster67
07-25-2007, 11:07 PM
We were union and they were non union working out of the same yard. We were hospitable to eachother- for the reason they were trying to make a living and we acted like a bunch of di%%heads to them- what would be there impression be of unionism.

Their apprentice system is based on skills learned, and a time period. Its different, I don't they have to go to school. Don't have to learn the NESC. They were good at single phase construction and I wouldn't give them much else.

I think that same co-op had a small four man outfit, not Pike, but a non-union local outfit. They had this digger the chassis and the derrick were from the fifties. And they spraypainted their company colors, Krylon Blue. They had a sixty eight year old groundman. And this outfit was killing people left and right.

71 is probably very aware of whats going on there.