PDA

View Full Version : Class "A" Lineman

toddelec1
07-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Can someone explain to me what a class "A" Lineman is exactly ??

Bull Dog
07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
That would be the same as journeyman one who has topped out.

wudwlkr
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
To me a "Journeyman" is one who has taken and passed a minimum qualification test by some recognized organization such as a union, accredited training school or state approved testing program. A "Class A" or "First Class" lineman is one who may have the same level of training as a journeyman but has not gone through a formal testing process to prove his qualifications. This is pretty much the way it works in any trade that uses the term journeyman.

Pootnaigle
07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
where utility and construction hands belong to the same local the utility hands carry a "BA" card while the journeymen construction linemen carry an " A " card. I suppose thats what your referring to/

Bull Dog
07-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Not always true our class A journeyman linemen hold A card not a AB card and have gone through a recognized apprentiship at the utility.

wudwlkr
07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
An A card holder is paying into the union insurance programs. A BA card holder is a union member but does not pay into insurance programs. These are usually the linemen working for utilities because their companies have their own insurance programs.

tolex42
07-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Can someone explain to me what a class "A" Lineman is exactly ??

There seems to be some confusion between a "Class A" Lineman and "A" and "BA" members of the IBEW.

A Class A Lineman is normally a classification given by utility companies to their top or most advanced Linemen.

Within the IBEW the difference between an A and a BA member is that an A member pays an additional $12 per month to the IBEW to participate in the Pension Benefit Fund. BA members differ from A members in that they do not participate in the Pension Benefit Fund and therefore pay less in dues.

A membership can consist of many IBEW classifications, however they are mostly construction linemen and electricians, etc... Most of the other classifications, utility workers, telephone, teledata, manufacturing, tree trimmers etc. are BA members.

OutRigger
08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
A real class a lineman is one that is toped out with a non union co

42linehand
08-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Tolex 42 hit the nail right on the head, although this might change in different companies an example in my local our tree trimmers our BA members. All of our topped out JL'S are A members.

Trampbag
08-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Swamp, I haven’t got a clue what a “Class A Lineman” is.

I just took another look at my dues paid Official Receipt for the IBEW and it says Jm Lineman. It does say I’m an “A” Member but that only means I participate in the IBEW pension.

Is “Class A Lineman” something I need to Aspire to??? Or Avoid???

Orgnizdlbr
08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
What ever happened to the Classification of "Journeyman Lineman"?

All this "Class A" crap,... came from Union terminology.
"A, B, C"....
D,E,F,G.... What is this? An alphabet test?

"Class A" my ass....
What is this....Grade School?:D

We can't even use "Words" anymore for Classifcations in our trade anymore....:(

This shit's gettin pitiful...

"A" and "BA" membership has nothing to do with JL status. "BA" members dont participate in the PBF.

Class "A" is not a designation used by the IBEW to classify Lineman.

Bull Dog
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I keep trying to tell you all Class A and journeyman are the same. An A member and ab refers to pension wether you pay into ibew or get it from the company you work for. Class A is acceped as a journey that is what it is.