PDA

View Full Version : Utilitie worker Tom Deal died Tuesday morning after falling into transformer

CPOPE
08-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Worker's death stuns family
Investigation into electrocution expected to be completed soon.

YONIKA WILLIS
Tribune Staff Writer
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/News01/708020324/0/SPORTS

MISHAWAKA — Tom Deal loved working in his yard and Notre Dame football. He loved NASCAR and wolves, but his biggest love was his family, his wife Marcia Deal said

Deal, a Mishawaka Utilities worker, died Tuesday morning after falling into a transformer box at an unfinished home in the Reverewood subdivision.

An autopsy Tuesday afternoon showed Deal died accidentally by ectrocution.

"I just don't know what I'm going to do without him," Marcia Deal told The Tribune Wednesday.

Tom Deal leaves behind a 23-year-old daughter, an 11-year-old son and a 30-year-old stepson.

"He was a very meticulous family man who loved his children," Marcia Deal said.

"Tom has been actively involved in our son Chase's life," she said. "Our son has been wrestling since first grade. He (Tom) was down at the high school three times a week practicing with him."

Just days ago, Deal and his youngest son went to the parks department to pick up Chase's gear for the upcoming football season.

Now their 11-year-old son is trying to be so grown up and strong, Marcia Deal said, and their daughter told Marcia that her father's death comes right after she had gotten so close to him.

Authorities are unsure what caused Deal to fall and hit his head in the two top loads of the electrical box that had between 100 and 900 amps of electricity running through them.

Deal, 50, had arrived at the house at 2025 Bennington Drive about 10 a.m. Tuesday.

"He said he was going to disconnect the power to the house," recalled Mike Hopper, a sider with Creative Exteriors, who also was working on the home Tuesday. "The next thing I knew, he was sitting headfirst in the transformer box."

Another utilities worker pulled Deal from the transformer box that sits at the end of the property.

Crews tried resuscitating him before he was taken to an area hospital, but Deal was pronounced dead at 10:40 a.m., according to a police report.

Nearby workers and residents don't recall hearing any odd noises before the incident.

Mindy Watford, who lives across from the unfinished home, ushered her kids inside Tuesday when they saw Deal's body on the ground.

"It was just really sad," Watford said. "A ton of people were down here. Men were crying."

Now, a routine investigation into the incident is ongoing at Mishawaka Utilities, said general manager, Jim Schrader.

Schrader expects the investigation to be completed within a day or two.

Deal worked for the department for 27 years, and, his wife said, he recently had been talking about what he wanted to do when he retired.

"I've just been so blessed to have had the time with him that I had," Marcia Deal said.

This is the first electrocution of a utilities worker that Schrader can remember.

Grief counselors were available to employees Wednesday morning at the office on 12th Street where Deal worked.

"It's tough for us to accept that it happened," Schrader said Wednesday, "but it has."

BigClive
08-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Unusual and terribly sad. What voltage was involved?

I've fallen asleep and slumped into an electrical control panel before as a result of just sheer hours worked. I guess I was pretty fortunate to escape with a rude awakening.

I wonder if he fell in accidentally or something caused him to black-out.

WAlinehand1970
08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Very sad story. Wonder what caused him to fall into the transformer? I am assuming he hit his head on the secondary blocks.? 240 volts to the head?
A true accident and tragedy.

topgroove
08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
rest in peace bro...too bad the plastic protective covers were not in place over the secondary blocks. many utilities don't use them.

butterbean
08-09-2007, 03:53 AM
god i hate to read these. very sad. prayers to his family and friends.

RIP mr deal.

bean

Stinger
08-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Very unfortunate accident. Prayers to the family. working in this trade this is reminder why we should always let our loved ones know how much they mean to us as often as we can.

reppy007
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Worker's death stuns family
Investigation into electrocution expected to be completed soon.

YONIKA WILLIS
Tribune Staff Writer
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/News01/708020324/0/SPORTS

MISHAWAKA — Tom Deal loved working in his yard and Notre Dame football. He loved NASCAR and wolves, but his biggest love was his family, his wife Marcia Deal said

Deal, a Mishawaka Utilities worker, died Tuesday morning after falling into a transformer box at an unfinished home in the Reverewood subdivision.

An autopsy Tuesday afternoon showed Deal died accidentally by ectrocution.

"I just don't know what I'm going to do without him," Marcia Deal told The Tribune Wednesday.

Tom Deal leaves behind a 23-year-old daughter, an 11-year-old son and a 30-year-old stepson.

"He was a very meticulous family man who loved his children," Marcia Deal said.

"Tom has been actively involved in our son Chase's life," she said. "Our son has been wrestling since first grade. He (Tom) was down at the high school three times a week practicing with him."

Just days ago, Deal and his youngest son went to the parks department to pick up Chase's gear for the upcoming football season.

Now their 11-year-old son is trying to be so grown up and strong, Marcia Deal said, and their daughter told Marcia that her father's death comes right after she had gotten so close to him.

Authorities are unsure what caused Deal to fall and hit his head in the two top loads of the electrical box that had between 100 and 900 amps of electricity running through them.

Deal, 50, had arrived at the house at 2025 Bennington Drive about 10 a.m. Tuesday.

"He said he was going to disconnect the power to the house," recalled Mike Hopper, a sider with Creative Exteriors, who also was working on the home Tuesday. "The next thing I knew, he was sitting headfirst in the transformer box."

Another utilities worker pulled Deal from the transformer box that sits at the end of the property.

Crews tried resuscitating him before he was taken to an area hospital, but Deal was pronounced dead at 10:40 a.m., according to a police report.

Nearby workers and residents don't recall hearing any odd noises before the incident.

Mindy Watford, who lives across from the unfinished home, ushered her kids inside Tuesday when they saw Deal's body on the ground.

"It was just really sad," Watford said. "A ton of people were down here. Men were crying."

Now, a routine investigation into the incident is ongoing at Mishawaka Utilities, said general manager, Jim Schrader.

Schrader expects the investigation to be completed within a day or two.

Deal worked for the department for 27 years, and, his wife said, he recently had been talking about what he wanted to do when he retired.

"I've just been so blessed to have had the time with him that I had," Marcia Deal said.

This is the first electrocution of a utilities worker that Schrader can remember.

Grief counselors were available to employees Wednesday morning at the office on 12th Street where Deal worked.

"It's tough for us to accept that it happened," Schrader said Wednesday, "but it has."

This sounds almost like the one that happened here....this guy most likely was an excellent worker....and he was so close to retiring.....it just doesnt happen to the younger guys....i can almost feel the pain that the family must have felt.....keep your mind on your job,take a little extra time to use some covers....dont get into any rush.

jerry
05-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I hate to hear that another Brother Lineman has been killed on the job and will Pray for his Family,especiallyfor the Kids. I am retired now and had my share of close calls, but the last few years I worked a one man trouble Truck for a large utility. I wonder if he would have had a second man if he possibly could have been saved. The type of work we do ,even the mundane jobs(secondy work) can Kill and just one mistake you are dead. I know the one man truck is the Norm now,but disagree with the practice even though I worked a one man Truck.