PDA

View Full Version : Com Ed Safety

CHICAGO HAND.
08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Two Seperate Accidents.
One Fatality, Which Involved An Asplundh Crew Trying To Pull A Rear Lot Cart Of A Back Yard When The Tow Rope Broke And Some Part Of It Struck And Killed A Crew Member.
That Is What Was Relayed To Us This Morning, And Another Incident Involved A Contract Crew Accidentaly Energizing A Piece Of Cable Which Was Terminated On The Pole And Burnt A Coworker Who Was Close To The Other End Near The Bottom Of The Pole. Something About A Pole Relocate Due To Road Widening?

Bull Dog
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear this its too bad and dosen't have to be happening. I'm afraid there will be lots more of this. Now a days the crews don't have the seasoned linemen they need. There is no replacement for a journey man that will ask what the f are you doing. My condolences to the family and wishes for healing to the other guy.

billfoster67
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I never seen a broke ass area. They were doing lashing that underground cable under primary for overload. The only problem I saw, to pull that messenger at 5000 pounds, on poles that were placed before Henry Miller was alive.

All the safety men for the contractors were ex-COM Ed hands, so there really wasn't safety. They just slam the men. Two guys I knew got 12 KV backfeed off a pot when a meter maid took a big ass generator from a yard and put it on the line side of the meter, and the backfeed almost broke their backs- they hid underneath the carpet (they were Com Ed buddies). Get those broke dick safety guys that are worried about chock blocks out, and get men that know the trade out there. Why do the contractors make that a mgmt. position and give it to a 62 year old bargaining unit guy that real tell these guys what they are doing wrong. Chicago will never change.

The rope on the contractors pullers haven't been replaced in a decade. The ropes are as old as the pullers. They don't tarp them like the rest of the country, have eighty splices in them because they ve been bucked, since the color bleached out in the sun.

More people are going to die there unless they get people that know what they are doing. Let the older men in 9 and 196 take over as safety guys. Safety is just a check in the block, not inspecting rope, checking the feet on trailers. Safety is a two way street, not mgmt. just imposing rules onthe men.

Dust off Big John Glazebrook and let the fireworks begin. The man that took 7200 in his chest and walked away unscathed. He will get Chicago right!!!!

billfoster67
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
It stinks when you got to call up your friends when you hear there is an accident and you don't know if its your friend or your friends buddy. And he is not answering- and you don't know if he was in the bite.

When I was in Chicago, I didn't like it. I didn't like how safety was set up. You watch the driving videos, and all the other BS, you receive your gear. And if there was an accident it was about how do I protect the company.

I hit a tressel there. My bucket was 12'6. A rivet from the tressel rip the knuckle skin. I spent an hour of working my ass off to get it from underneath the bridge. Pulling the steal back with a hoist. deflating the tires. I had a broke dick transmission. The cop was trying to help me. All the people around were helping me. There was no sign in the truck for clearance and no sign for the tressel.

I come back to the yard with my ass full of sweat. And I was hearing the phone calls from the GF, the worst negative stuff I have ever heard. I had an information report for them. I could hear him on the speaker, "...he got cited didn't he" Not one word is the guy OK, is he alright-all negative. "Piss him and get his blood." After a hard day, and a real hard hour I spend 2 hours getting pissed, my blood drawn. I cut my hand on the knuckle steel- no worry about stopping the blood, maybe I need stitches. Just "cover my ass". I hate Chicago for that reason.

I got fired the next day, because the transmission went out pulling it from the bridge. Even though my DVIRs said for two months my transmission was going.

Getting fired from there was a blessing, a wake up call. I worked in tougher places as far as electrical systems, but the BS there, lack of concern for people, their workers... I will never go back.

They need a retiree to take over safety. A hard man that knows what real safety is. Not a badgering inspector, not a double dipping Com Ed flunky but a real kick ass lineman in all those yards!!!:mad:

Pootnaigle
08-21-2007, 07:37 PM
It occurs to me that until management and supervision at all levels are actively involved in saftey ( and charged with saftey just like workin guys) there will never be a Saftey program that works. They cannot continue to place the responsibility for safety with just the workers. When work is assigned it should be assigned with safety in mind and when help is requested Management should be charged with providing it. And when an accident does occur and an investigation is held they should be looking for not only what the worker could have done to prevent it but what THEY could have done differently to help prevent another in the future. Until this happens( and it wont because they would be forced to assume a degree of Liability) There will never be a saftey program thats true to everyone involved

CHICAGO HAND.
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
THEY ARE ACTIVELY INVOLVED HERE.
AFTER AN ACCIDENT HAPPENS THEY TAKE 4 WEEKS LOOKING AT ALL THE WRITTEN PROCEDURES THEY HAVE INSTITUTED WHICH WE AS THE WORK FORCE ARE NOT EVEN AWARE OF THANKS TO THE CONFUSION INVOLVED IN TRYING TO FIGURE THIS CRAP OUT WHICH WAS WRITTEN BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER LEFT THE DESK.
THE LAYERS OF RULES AND WRITTEN PROCEDURES ARE SO LAYERED THAT NO'ONE KNOWS WHEN ONE APPLIES UNTIL ITS TO LATE.THEN ALL THE BOYS UNDER THE DESKS COME OUT AND START POINTING AT ALL THE THINGS WE DID WRONG.

OH MANAGEMENT IS INVOLVED ESPECIALLY THE SAFETY PEOPLE WHO THEY HIRED OFF THE STREET WHO CANT EVEN PLUG IN THERE TOASTER.OH AND LETS NOT FORGET MOST OF THE SUPERVISORS WHO WALKED IN AND SAT DOWN AT THE FOREMANS DESK TO COLLECT A PAY CHECK.
YA THEY ARE REALLY HELPFUL WHEN YOU ASK FOR SOME HELP WITH A SAFETY CONCERN.
YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE TALKING TO THE WALL.
THIS PLACE IS A JOKE WHEN IT COMES TO MANAGEMENT HELPING WITH SAFETY.
I LIKE THE NEWEST SAFETY RULE 20kv RUBBER BOOTS 20kv GLOVES AND FR FROM HEAD TO TOE WHEN DIGGING BY HAND NEAR ENERGIZED CABLE.
OH AND DONT GET CAUGHT WITH A BANDANA UNDER YOUR HARD HAT OR AN UNAUTHORIZED STICKER ON YOUR HARD HAT.OR ANY SCREEN PRINT ON YOUR T SHIRT UNDER YOUR FR SHIRT.
LIKE I SAID THIS PLACE IS A JOKE.

billfoster67
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
You ll have real safety. If you have real lineman, with real construction experience, with real applicable rules, doing the job as safety men.

Get those double dipping buy out safety men, that have all their savings in Com ED stock out. And get a lineman out there with thirty plus years doing the work to check out the crews. How man many have to get hurt out there!!!!!!!:mad: