PDA

View Full Version : Step downs

Linemanblood
10-14-2007, 01:23 PM
What is your procedure to test a step down that you suspect is cause of outage. Scenario:Over head step down TX feeding underground primary with 8 urd tx,s

BigClive
10-14-2007, 03:00 PM
I guess the best bet would be a suitable high voltage tester that could test the unit to it's rated voltage and beyond to see if it was perhaps flashing over inside.

Deep down you're HOPING it's the transformer and not the URD. ;)

loodvig
10-14-2007, 03:50 PM
We used to clear the low side and try a fuse. Now I think they use a HI-POT tester.

lineman641
10-14-2007, 04:12 PM
best bet is to have a fuse on the high and low side.that should be a good start to find the problem,assuming the fuses are the proper rating.

md2
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
we just got these new TILT (Transformer Initial Living Tester) testers. It's got two probes go from bushing to bushing. Tests for open and shorts, Tests Capacitors too...only thing that sucks is when the xformer is on the pole you have to remove everything (especially the pot ground) to use it. A definite time saver and keeps you from putting up a bad pot if you use it in the morning when loading up.

Orgnizdlbr
10-15-2007, 08:40 PM
What is your procedure to test a step down that you suspect is cause of outage. Scenario:Over head step down TX feeding underground primary with 8 urd tx,s

De-energize, isolate the load side, if no tester, refuse with load side isolated, if it holds it's probably not the xfmr.

Swollen Tongue
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Don't put all your faith in the TILT. Mine has lied to me on more than one occasion. Be sure and take everything loose including the lightning arrestor. A bad arrestor can show up as a short.