PDA

View Full Version : I am tired of these accidents.

billfoster67
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I have seen it or heard it all. Never been on a crew where a man got hurt. But I have visited a lot of hospital rooms and given out a lot of my paychecks to tie them over, and so have my brothers whom I have made collections.

My name is Bill Foster I am a tramp lineman. I have seen this industry going down. Poor leadership in a lot of these places, utilities, a lot of CYA. Can anyone have the decency some time to say they made a mistake and take the lashing. I have made mistakes, not fireballs or any electrical mistakes. My mistakes are like trying to fit a 13 ft. bucket in a 12' 11'' train tressel

I got fired for safety reasons... its a catch all now to run a man off. Poorly used abused word nowadays. No I don't rubber up the phases that I am not going to work on, I keep three sticks in my bucket and a spare blanket, in case I get caught in a bind, even though I might just use one stick. I don't clim with rubber gloves- stupid- even though thats policy with a lot of these contractors. All I know right is right and wrong is wrong.

GFs are not to babysit you they are responsible for you to have the proper equipment and alll the material to do the job safely. Foreman are their to have the job done safely, and should communicate how he wants the job performed and the circumstances (one shot, closest switch). The lineman is to perform his task with efficiency, looking up for a brief time to see all the moves he needs to make, and where he wants the truck, what tools what order of material, and line out the apprentice of what he needs when. Simple. Do the job and go home and kiss your babies.

My number is 310 404 7160. Rusty White is a good friend of mine. I am planning to go to George Meaney school this year. I love this trade. Its my life. And I am dedicated to make it better. Whatever time and financial sacrifice I have to make, I will do it. I am tired of death, maimed, and burned... if anybody just needs a friend to talk to just give me a call. If you have a question I will try to find the answer or find you the right person with the answer.

God Bless You All,
Be Safe,

Bill Foster, william.foster1@att.net, 310-404-7160

scammy
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
hey bill ,,Im with ya ,, the fight is on ,,,we are killing more lineman now than 50 years ago ,,,( the dark years),because of lack of training and the push to get the job done ,,,,,,,,ie,, the apprentice killed on his second day at work on a transmission tower,,,what the hell were they thinking?I think it is time for a congressional hearing about the power grid and lineman in general ,,,,,I am willing to stand up ,,,,,,scammy

CHICAGO HAND.
11-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Again here is my problem, where is the local when the company puts on a dog and pony show and call it shoring and excavating training which lasted two hours and was taught by a guy that never entered a splice pit in his life.
Loca 15 should have said noone does any digging until we are osha trained.
How about the company telling us that arrestors can be put on with rubber gloves?
How about putting the stop watch away at the training center for the new guys and focus solely on workmanship. The local 15 members at training should walk until the bull crap at training is fixed.

The issues are to many to sit here and list but just once i would love to see our local say we will walk unless some of these issues are not resolved.
I hate to be out here with no backing from the local.
I just think the local should be leading the charge, i dont know maybe its just me.

scammy
11-02-2007, 05:31 PM
ya got to go to the union hall ,,at meetings and speak up ,,,,stand up and be counted ,,,,make some waves,,,,,,,and bring a friend,,,,,,,,,remember,,,,,,we are the union,,,scammy

CHICAGO HAND.
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
The Last Time I Brought Up A Safety Problem That I Felt Was Not Being Adressed From Management I Told The Union Leadership That The Company Did Not Have A Procedure For A Certain Potential Problem And The Union Safety Team Made Some Calls And Got Back To Me And Said That I Was Right The Company Does Not Have A Procedure Other Than Call 911 And Was There Anything Else They Could Do For Me, I Said No Thanks You Have Done Enough.

I Have Come To The Conclusion That It Must Be Me Who Is Just A Sour Puss And Should Just Shut My Mouth And Quit Making Waves.
Good Night Ladies.

billfoster67
11-02-2007, 09:57 PM
If some one gets hurt call for a stand down, like Cour de'lane. Find out all the parties where they were and what happened with everyone, employees and management. How can they not insulate that pole with all the insulation products out there.

I ve been there, if something goes wrong, scream "hot pole" and stay calm. And a hot set I have never been without gloves. And what happened to stay off the truck, when you do a hot set. I am telling kids all the time, I don't care if you got a truck grounded or not- stay off the trucks and wear you gloves on a hot set. MV from New River, you made my life miserable every day as an apprentice-but you taught me well. Kept two pairs of gloves one in the digger and one for work. Always have since I was an apprentice.

I have seen rubber hoses slide, when a pole rubbed, get the pole clear, and move the rubber with an extendo. You got to be calm if a bad situation arises.

Whats up? How many deaths this week?

scammy
11-03-2007, 05:15 PM
chicago,,,dont be discouraged,,,,,,it is a long hard ride,,,,,,you have allies,,,,,seek them out ,,, and it dont end at the union ,we have osha,,and congresman,and senitors,,,,,,; many years ago a lineman stood up..for saftey ,,,he started IBEW,,,,,,,,,every generations gains an inch,,,,,,,,scammy

woody
11-03-2007, 10:30 PM
The call has been made....the question is who's gonna answer! Looking for lineman that will do the same thing they did over twenty years ago... stand tall and be counted. Good luck. Most of the newcomers want something right now....cellphone....company truck....gas card....etc. No time in trade...the ink isn't even dried on their ticket and their a foreman! Well kmla!!! Won't back down(like TOM PETTY) will stand my ground....line me up at the gates of hell....I won't back down. Change anything ya want in linework....won't back down....LINEWORK IS LINEWORK....WON'T BACK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! woody

woody
11-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Here it is....real simple really....just work with quailified linehands....they are out there!!!! Don't BACK DOWN!!! Do the tailboard....work the job.... let the linehands do their work....speak-up if they are doing something stupid!....otherwise watch it happen....Man it happens everyday. woody

cj28
11-04-2007, 11:07 AM
some people move up to fast and they are not ready for that step but are pushed ant young man ready to make a quick money or another reason people move from company to company and never made lineman or makeing a cdl driver a lineman in 6 months