PDA

View Full Version : LE Meyers fatality

TRAMPLINEMAN
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Heard yesterday a Meyers employee was killed when a down guy let loose and wiped out his bucket. Somewhere in Iowa!? Any truth to this?

spanguy
12-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I had heard that Randy Morris was killed when a guy cut loose. No more details than that, but sounds like the same incident. I got on here to try to find out more, if anyone else hears, keep us posted. Thanks.
Also know he had a wife and daughter

cableguy619
12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Here is some more information on this incident, from a local radio station's website:

Cherokee Utility Worker Killed

Tuesday, 04 December, 2007 07:59 AM

(Cherokee, IA)--Authorities in Cherokee County have released the name of a man killed in a power pole collapse on Friday.

Sheriff's officers say 54 year old Randall Morris was killed in the accident. The power pole he was working on snapped and caused a guy wire to pin him against a boom truck basket.

Morris is from Nichols, Iowa. The Iowa Department of Labor is investigating.

( Copyright 2007 - KICD)

link to this website:
http://lite1049.com/skin/blurb.php?sectionId=176&contentId=1218723

graybeard
12-07-2007, 09:30 PM
My prayers go out to the family.
Not much info comeing out yet but sounds like the guy let go at the anchor. It was on a 3 pole double deadend and they had all 3 phases done one way and 2 on the other. I think the poles were new and they were reconductering an MEC 161 line.
Its a week later and no official info has come out at all. If they tell us anything I'll post it.
Lets watch our backs brothers.

Highplains Drifter
12-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Well, Gray Beard you need to watch you're back. The accident happened on you're property. The fantail deadend< guy deadend> was made in Tawain, hardly any sugar in it. What happened to the good old Preformed company? Save a few bucks, and is it worth it? No

PA BEN
12-08-2007, 08:52 AM
This is a little off the topic here but some Co. say it's ok to ground to a guy and it's legal. But I'll never do it. Our prayers go out to this fallen brothers family and pole buddy's.

Orgnizdlbr
12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
This is a little off the topic here but some Co. say it's ok to ground to a guy and it's legal. But I'll never do it. Our prayers go out to this fallen brothers family and pole buddy's.

I agree, but on the property I work All guys are grounded. About 20 years ago a teenager whiped a broken guy up into primaries and was killed. Consequently regulators in the state mandated all guys must be grounded.

PA BEN
12-08-2007, 09:47 AM
I agree, but on the property I work All guys are grounded. About 20 years ago a teenager whiped a broken guy up into primaries and was killed. Consequently regulators in the state mandated all guys must be grounded.
Sorry, I meant personal protective grounding. If the conductors come hot it could blow the rod out of the ground and bring the world down around you. We ground the top of our guys here and put a Johnny ball 10 ft or so from the ground so electroless doesn’t eat the rod away.

Orgnizdlbr
12-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Sorry, I meant personal protective grounding. If the conductors come hot it could blow the rod out of the ground and bring the world down around you. We ground the top of our guys here and put a Johnny ball 10 ft or so from the ground so electroless doesn’t eat the rod away.

After the teen was killed, we had to go and ground all of em and jumper out all the Johnny Balls........

graybeard
12-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Theres what makes differance in standards, if you use guy strain insulator and a jonny ball if guy comes loose at the bottom they keep the the wire at grnd level ISOLATED.

Special ED
12-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Here we have the tops of our guys grounded to main line neutrals and johnny balls installed to where they if the guy broke it would be about 10 to 12 feet off the ground below everything hot in an effort to isolate it. Some guys will put a ground on the guy wires for truck grounds and even equipment grounds. If there is no pole ground on possible way to attach it directly to a neutral then put a new ground on the pole. I had a forman come up while I was getting out stuff to install a new pole ground on day and he took the ground for my puller and put it on the guy wire holding the pole my blocks were hung from. Needless to say that didn't fly with me. I'm not gonna take a chance on something and have that guy wire get burnt up and have a hot 3 phase line come crashing down on me when the pole breaks. Our old screw grounds are illegal and Im glad! Those damn things would shoot out of the ground if the ape didnt install it deep enough.. But to the subject at hand though..

It brings me great sadness to hear of another fallen brother. My thoughts are with his family.