PDA

View Full Version : SMUD Worker Injured While Working On Power Lines

CPOPE
01-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Jan 20, 2008 1:15 pm US/Pacific
A SMUD employee was injured while trying to repair downed power lines in South Sacramento, according to authorities.

The California Highway Patrol has reported that a sedan collided with a power pole on Franklin Boulevard north of Florin Road early Sunday morning, causing power lines to fall onto the road. All lanes on Franklin Boulevard were shut down while utility crews responded.

A crew working for the Sacramento Municipal Utilities District arrived with a utility truck to repair the damage. While a worker was repairing power lines in a "cherry-picker," a big rig reportedly clipped the utility truck.

The worker fell to the ground, sustaining a broken arm and broken leg. He was rushed to a hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

The worker's name was not released. All lanes on Franklin Boulevard have reopened.

http://cbs13.com/local/smud.injury.power.2.634150.html

PA BEN
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
I wonder if the big rig that clipped the utility truck entered the work zone or was the lower boom out in traffic and the safety watch was a sleep? Glad to here he's OK. Not only is it important to cover, rubber up, grounds every thing we use in the air, our work zone is just as important.:rolleyes:

scammy
01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
traffic is our worst enemy now ,,cell phones,,,,,,,drunks and dumbasses everywere,,had a accident yesterday ,,a guy only scraped off the ice on driverside window,and ran over a cable contractor at 6 am , he was putting out raod signs,,,he is ok,,,,scammy

CPOPE
01-25-2008, 03:49 AM
I've seen the lower nucket boom nuckel get hit by traffic previously ar NEES in Westboro Mass back in 04/95. Line crewleader in the air was a man by the name of Nick Hawkins. One of the graetest line hands I have ever worked with. He walked away without injury. He was wearing his harnes and was not ejected from the bucket. Truck was totaled.

How did this guy not be restrained by his harnes teather. No monday morning quarterbacking and I'm sorry he wad hurt so seriously.

Make sure your boint of attachment is not on the bucket but on the upperportion of the boom hardpoint, So if the bucket becomes detached from the boom (which does happen) you do not come to the ground with the detached bucket.

BigClive
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Ironic that I should be reading this when I was working on cables today in exactly the same spot where a bus hit the back of my boom about a year ago.

Lets just say that I put out LOTS of cones and signage this time!

I always have my harness attached in the bucket. (Except the rare occasion that I completely forget to hook on!)

polerunner
02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.cbs13.com/video/?id=29407@kovr.dayport.com

This is some video of the incident
Don't they use fall arrest there?

graybeard
02-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Companies talk safty but its allways up to us to practice it. Work zone safty is allways a top priority and and up to us to take the time to set up our work zone even if that means getting more help to control traffic.
I'm glad that the man didn't get hurt worse than he did but I also can't believe he didn't have any fall protection on.
A few years ago when we had to go from a belt to body harness alot of the guys where really pissed about it untill I found a vid on body harnesses that showed how much better they are than a belt(I was on the safty com. at the time). Now its just second nature to put it on. It helps though if your company gets harneeses that are comfortable to wear and easy to put on.