PDA

View Full Version : Regulator By-pass Switch

ivanho
01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Had a close one just the other day involving a by-pass switch.
The set up was on a primary meter point, one of the CTs went bad
went up to open switch, and the spring did not engage the foot plate
just set there arcing a little,no big deal just closed it right back in.
Decided to put a short jumper across the high side of the switch,OK.
myself and another journeyman go up and we start to put the jumper on
"with shot guns of course" and thats when things get interesting!The whole top side of the switch falls apart,he has his side barley in the clamp
and my side, the wire is wedged between the shot gun and the clamp.
The whole top side of the switch just fell apart...The epoxy that holds the
insulators to the mounting bracket, Just gave it up! So there we are looking at each other like the whole world just went to shit.
Our Foreman on the ground called service opps. and had them dump the circiut. We were in a bind to say the least..
I'd have to say if you have any of those switches out there,that you try to open them from the ground first ..

krptman1
01-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't suggest opening these from the ground. If you can get a truck to the pole as you had I would give it a visual inspection. I would bet that it was an A.B. Chance cut out that broke on you.?

Pootnaigle
01-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Had a close one just the other day involving a by-pass switch.
The set up was on a primary meter point, one of the CTs went bad
went up to open switch, and the spring did not engage the foot plate
just set there arcing a little,no big deal just closed it right back in.
Decided to put a short jumper across the high side of the switch,OK.
myself and another journeyman go up and we start to put the jumper on
"with shot guns of course" and thats when things get interesting!The whole top side of the switch falls apart,he has his side barley in the clamp
and my side, the wire is wedged between the shot gun and the clamp.
The whole top side of the switch just fell apart...The epoxy that holds the
insulators to the mounting bracket, Just gave it up! So there we are looking at each other like the whole world just went to shit.
Our Foreman on the ground called service opps. and had them dump the circiut. We were in a bind to say the least..
I'd have to say if you have any of those switches out there,that you try to open them from the ground first ..

Need a lil more info here........... what step was the reg on when you tried to bypass it? iF IT WAS ANYTHING OTHER THAN NEUTRAL you was gonnabe inna jam regardless( I bleve they call this circulating current) and makes for a spectacular light show.

topgroove
01-28-2008, 06:36 AM
wise words from Pootnaigle. never ever close the by-pass on a regulator without it being in nuetral, look for a nuetral light in the control box and the dial at zero. a nuetral indicator meter can also be used. make sure you place it between source and load not between source load and the other bushings, its not meant for full voltage. if the regulator is in nuetral both sides of the by-pass switch are at the same potential. you shouldn't pick up any arc at all while closing the switch. with a regulator just one step off raise or lower its the worst situation you can possibly have if you attemt to close the by-pass

PA BEN
01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't suggest opening these from the ground. If you can get a truck to the pole as you had I would give it a visual inspection. I would bet that it was an A.B. Chance cut out that broke on you.?
I know what you are saying about the cutouts we should start a thread just on them.:cool: Here's a link on the switch but the one he was using had porcelain insulators. ;) http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/literature_library/pdfs4lib/operating-instructions/P805-0011RevA.pdf

Koga
01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
had problems with, we found where the blade makes contact, has two spring type contacts on each side of the blade. They were weak and not making good contact, causing the switch to over heat and the epoxy the insulator was glued with to fail. Yall might be having the same problem ? I will check to see which co. made em and the type.

Koga

Just wanted to add we are fixing to do an infra red inspection and probably will find more with these type switches on our trunk feeders. I'll let ya know when I hear.
Ok the switches have Kearny on the box and are made by Cooper. 600 amp and 900 amp both. So just a heads up if yall run across these.

ivanho
02-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Need a lil more info here........... what step was the reg on when you tried to bypass it? iF IT WAS ANYTHING OTHER THAN NEUTRAL you was gonnabe inna jam regardless( I bleve they call this circulating current) and makes for a spectacular light show.

These were being used on a primary meetering point.
We needed to change out one of the PTs..
I can see Koga's point , about the arcing and heating up the epoxy..

watch your top knot... It's the only one you got!!!