PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Power.

BigClive
01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Just out of interest... Where is Scottish Powers main Scottish training area? Is it still in Cumbernauld?

old lineman
01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Just out of interest... Where is Scottish Powers main Scottish training area? Is it still in Cumbernauld?

Back about 1990-1993 we trained Scottish Power how to work live line in Ontario, Canada. I've heard since then they wanted a premium wage for working live line and management refused causing all those trained to revert back to working only isolated and de-energized circuits.
Is that true?
If it is that's a shame because linemen in North America work energized circuits on a daily basis and if done correctly it a safe proceedure.
There is no real cause to have a premium for that work.
Once it becomes common practice like over here the thought of a premium goes away.
The Old Lineman

BigClive
01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Live work is done, but there's no denying that it does carry a higher risk of death. You can be as safe as you like.... genuine accidents do happen.

I'm not sure that "Keeping meters turning." is a justifiable excuse for a death.

upntheair
01-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Back about 1990-1993 we trained Scottish Power how to work live line in Ontario, Canada. I've heard since then they wanted a premium wage for working live line and management refused causing all those trained to revert back to working only isolated and de-energized circuits.
Is that true?
If it is that's a shame because linemen in North America work energized circuits on a daily basis and if done correctly it a safe proceedure.
There is no real cause to have a premium for that work.
Once it becomes common practice like over here the thought of a premium goes away.
The Old Lineman

Hi Old Lineman,

Are you sure it was Scottish Power and not Scottish Hydro Electric, as i worked for Hydro back then and we did send two crews over to be trained. I was unfortunately in the next intake for gloving training when they sent a couple of Canadians over to train us ( One was John Burnett, the other Pete something, i forget his second name.)
There was a push for more money as not every liney does rubber glove work, however it did'nt happen and it certainly never stopped live line work.
Although i now work in NZ I talk to boys back home and there is more gloving now than ever before.

old lineman
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Old Lineman,

Are you sure it was Scottish Power and not Scottish Hydro Electric, as i worked for Hydro back then and we did send two crews over to be trained. I was unfortunately in the next intake for gloving training when they sent a couple of Canadians over to train us ( One was John Burnett, the other Pete something, i forget his second name.)
There was a push for more money as not every liney does rubber glove work, however it did'nt happen and it certainly never stopped live line work.
Although i now work in NZ I talk to boys back home and there is more gloving now than ever before.

Excuse me, your right!
It was Scottish Hydro-Electric plc, out of Perth.
Glad to hear that the whole program didn't come to a stand still.
The Old Lineman

JAKE
01-29-2008, 08:00 AM
lol when i first saw the title i was thinkin it was a national pride thread instead of about the power company lol