PDA

View Full Version : MO Lineman

Ghostrider
02-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Our Safety man told us a lineman died two weeks ago in MO. He said a grip dropped on his head. Has any one heard about this?

necpoletop
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
:mad: :mad:
Our Safety man told us a lineman died two weeks ago in MO. He said a grip dropped on his head. Has any one heard about this?

This happened to me last summer,the lineman cut the tail on the wire I sent up to him,It fell by the pole,I Went to pick up the tails ,When I heard a loud THUD, thats all I remember,The crew said a grip fell,And struck the edge of my hardhat,then hit my shoulder,no further injury,but scary when I woke up,and a little sore.

Viperexaf
02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
grips we've had here, then we've been having problems with them not holding on to the wire and the wire slipping out, month or so ago then was pulling up some #2 quad copper, using a 20 grip and soon as i got it sagged then the damn thing slipped off, is why anymore i just use a grape vine knot using a rope sling or the hand line when somone is hauling the wire up to me, least then i know the wire won't go anywhere. be safe

BULLogna
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I have had a lot of ground men send wire up to me using a handline and bulldog grip. the good ground men use the snap end of the handline so the can recover the grip under control. If the grunt uses the hook end sometimes the grip will fall free before I can get to it.

Special ED
03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Its also a good habit not to stand under the lineman working. And the linemans job to yell "HEAD ACHE!!" if he drops something on accident.

I agree about using a snap on the handline or tying a knot. The hooks always seem to fall out once you get the wire deadended and the grip slips off right as you reach for it.. I'm partial to the klien grips they come in many sizes and they are copper and aluminum specific.

woodwalker78
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
We would use the hook end on the grip when when pulling wire up to the man on the pole but would "hide the hook" by running the hook thru the grip taking a twist in the handline and threading the end of the hook into it. Never dropped one like this. Stay safe guys!!!!