PDA

View Full Version : Permanent attachment

Shapesman
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Our company has been looking at tower fall arrest systems permanently fixed to the tower. They have a wire rope fixed to the leg by stepbolts and a rope grab between the harness and the wire rope. Has anyone used these?

neil macgregor
03-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Our company has been looking at tower fall arrest systems permanently fixed to the tower. They have a wire rope fixed to the leg by stepbolts and a rope grab between the harness and the wire rope. Has anyone used these?

aye used these a few years back in wales theyre ok dont take long to get use to . you have to change over when you reach a stansion leg but you,ll
get used to that . moving about on the arm is a bit of a pain you either have to use a long lanyard or keep moving 2 small ones about.
you,ll find yourself carrying loads more clips ,belts i use to leave the runner
on the wire when out on the arm whatever system your going to use it
means carrying loads more but less deaths

CPOPE
03-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Man ain't that the trurh. Everythiing works on paper.

I have seen the device uor are questionioning. Stancion installed on the top of a 40MVA transfomer for fall protection.

I wouldn't want to be forced to use the device. There are other types of fall protection preferred. I would use the device on a rare occasion for the above mentioned large transformer bushing maintiance work.

What type of tower you talking about?

Shapesman
03-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the comments.

The towers are 400kV transmission.

The wire rope is straight up the tower leg and goes past the crossarms. It can only be used for climbing the leg and we have to use twin lanyards for crossarms. The alternative is twin lanyards all the way which is a pain.

wudwlkr
03-25-2008, 07:23 AM
We had these types of fall arrest devices installed on our microwave communication towers over 20 years ago. Communications technicians who had to climb the towers were required to use them. The device seemed to work pretty well. The biggest problem is that the device which slides up and down the rope and that grips it if a fall occurs has to be kept clean. If they get too dirty they tend to bind up. Going up was never much of a problem but if you climbed down too fast they would stick and grab the cable, which I guess is what they were supposed to do, just not at climbing speed. You don't want to use them as work positioning devices though. If you stop and lean back like you would with a body belt and safety strap, that cable can pull back a lonnnng way from the ladder.