PDA

View Full Version : What not to do for a pole fire.

glovenlove13kva
04-03-2008, 11:56 AM
A friend e-mailed me this video of a lineman trying to put out a pole fire.:confused:

[url]http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/article/26664-utility-poles-expoled-burn-crest

glovenlove13kva
04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
If you type in the web site you will get on. Looks like the guy used water on the fire.

Orgnizdlbr
04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1483902004 (http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid900829086?bctid=1483902004)

Orgnizdlbr
04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Damn, there was no wood left holding the arms up. When it went off it arms blew off to the side getting the phases behind him together.......think he had any stains in his shorts??:eek:

glovenlove13kva
04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I would say yes too the stains in the pants. Also is it me or does the top x-arm look like it's already leaning down into the bottom x-arm before he tried to put the fire out? I'm glad the guy was O.K.

Orgnizdlbr
04-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Yup, looks like the arms are leaning toward the strain and also leaning to one side.......I'm glad he's ok too......coulda been alot worse. Why do ya suppose he used water???:eek:

BigClive
04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Stunningly well filmed though. It's a veritable safety video. :rolleyes:

That's one of those moments that no matter how fast the bucket goes, you just can't get it away fast enough. I wonder what went through his mind when he sprayed the water on and things just instantly got very much worse.

wtdoor67
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Reminds me of the old goofy supt. I had once. They had a guy once who was at the top of a pole and began to urinate between some hot phases below him. Someone on the ground said. You stupid shit, you'll electrocute your self. He replied. That's all right. I'm cutting knockers in it.

lewy
04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
It appears he didn't have a hold off as well.

glovenlove13kva
04-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Yup, looks like the arms are leaning toward the strain and also leaning to one side.......I'm glad he's ok too......coulda been alot worse. Why do ya suppose he used water???:eek:

I have no idea why he used water, but I'm sure he won't do that again.

Special ED
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Very lucky man in deed... When that arm blew up and fell he could have easily had two phases come into contact with him and turn him into a flesh fuse. Very very lucky. Glad he is safe.

Im just curious though.. It looked like a dead end pole.. If it wasnt a very long tap I would have just load busted the switches then go up with my ABC and put it out. The water was a bad idea..

Orgnizdlbr
04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Always a tuff call when second guessing a guy. After looking at the vid a few more times, the whole top of the pole was gone, nothing holding the arms up. I suppose there is a reason he went up while it was hot....I woulda dumped it. The area this happened at is about 4 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, heavy salt contamination......

bigjohn5638
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
ive been a troubleman for about six years.thats exzactly why you cannot let the pressure of the moment{fireman,camera crew,spectaters or accident victom pressure you into bad moves}you gotta think man.poles on fire cause primary is trackin to neutral.shut off power.fix broken insulator:confused: or call for crew.stop,think and live

THE KID
04-03-2008, 10:22 PM
I had a pole top on fire one night from lighting on a radial feed. I kill the line and climb the pole and used a fire extinguisher from my truck to put the fire out. When i energized the line back I blew a fuse. The extinguisher power was on the arm,insulator, phase and went to ground. After it arc across it burnt up the power it held on the next fuse. Scared the crap out of me.

NMSA122-G
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. What in the hell is wrong with this industry... Who allows idiots like that to put themselves and the public in harms way?? I hope everyone of those a-holes got fired over that... Better than killing themselves or some innocent bystander that assumes these people know what they are doing.

There is absolutly no reason to keep that energized. Open whatever wherever to do the job SAFE!!

johnbellamy
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. What in the hell is wrong with this industry... Who allows idiots like that to put themselves and the public in harms way?? I hope everyone of those a-holes got fired over that... Better than killing themselves or some innocent bystander that assumes these people know what they are doing.

There is absolutly no reason to keep that energized. Open whatever wherever to do the job SAFE!!

That pretty much covers it.

returntotheeve
04-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I hope he was alright. I'd drop the whole town if need be. I drop the circuit to change a basket. I drop the circuit to take a piss in the bin doors. I drop the circuit during my pretrip inspection. Please be safe everyone!

markwho
04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Glad to hear no one got hurt. Gee what are the "chances" it was caused by a bad Chance cut out. Pretty good odds it was. We aren't to use any fire extinguishers in the primary, even the abc's. I think this was covered somewhere else on the site.

BigClive
04-05-2008, 11:53 AM
All wise observations aside though... It's a GREAT video. :D

Even better in the slow motion bit.

flashman
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I think this must of been someone trying to a be a hero. Lack of experience in certain situations can kill you. I have done enough of the pole fire scene to look through binoculars before even going up. Monday morning quarterbacking is not my style but, I bet he doesn't try that again. flashman

electric squirrel
04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
How about the fact he is just as STUPID as they get............
E.S.:cool:

polerunner
04-09-2008, 01:38 AM
That guy is an idiot. Why did he think the pole was on fire, someone drop a butt up there. Of course there was leakage there. My god, if it burns down, then so be it. We don't get paid enough to be a hero !!! A flash like that would set clothes on fire, and then he could have a phase or two in his lap.
:rolleyes:

australiantroubleman
04-09-2008, 05:11 AM
That video really makes me worry about cowboys who have no fear of HV , That guy should be fired , it makes you wonder what kind of training his company gives troublemen.

He was lucky that high voltage didn't fall on some bystander or into his bucket., why wasnt the reclose non auto it had at least 2 shots after the first fault. .

We shut it off then get the fire brigade to extinguish the fire using a "fogger nozzle" keep bystanders clear if the pole falls no one is hurt .

deskjockey
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
The pole fire and napalm like flare up was likely due to "salt banding". This occurs when sea air condenses on distribution equipment leaving mineral deposits on the equipment. The deposits allow for tracking which can result in fire.

At one east coast utility, it is common place to put out these fires while energized. The difference being that the utility will hot wash the insulators first to break the conductive path. If you skip the washing step, the effect is typical of what was in the video.

NMSA122-G
04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
That's stupid....

Bull Dog
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Ive put out fires like this many times energized with a fire hose. If you know what your doing its safe. I would guess mabey this guy was inexperienced and not trained. Who knows

returntotheeve
04-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Ive put out fires like this many times energized with a fire hose. If you know what your doing its safe. I would guess mabey this guy was inexperienced and not trained. Who knows

Please educate us on how to safely put out a fire with a fire hose. Where did you get your fire hose vs. electrical fire training? I've been told you can shove your fist down a rotties throat as he's trying to bite you but...