PDA

View Full Version : Two N-star workers burnt

loodvig
04-12-2008, 09:03 AM
An early-morning manhole fire in downtown Boston sent two utility workers to the hospital with minor burns and injuries.

The two Nstar workers were working inside the manhole when their equipment malfunctioned, setting off a flash fire just before 2:30 a.m. yesterday at Summer and Otis streets, near Downtown Crossing.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the two workers were taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.

Nstar spokesman Michael Durand said both workers were treated for minor burns and other injuries and then released.

“It does appear that it was some kind of cable failure,” Durand said.

cw2But he stressed that the cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Mayor Thomas Menino said aging underground infrastructure may have contributed to the mishap.

Fire crews were on the scene for about 30 minutes.

mainline
04-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Of all the things about linework that are scary manhole faults have got to be the worst. You have no where to, you can't even duck in the bottom of the bucket. Having been in a couple of really deep manholes in N-star territory I can say it must be horrifying to realize that something is taking a turn for the worse. I hope they are okay.

topgroove
04-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I aggree having an explosion in an confined space has got to be the worst. The cables aren't getting any younger either

Special ED
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Thats exactly why I didnt take the network job offered to me. In a bucket or on hooks you can drop down out of the fire and escape. In a manhole theres no where to go but up and thats just not possible.